Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default How talented are the Steelers?

Is it enough to compete in the getting-ever-tougher AFC North? Can they compete with the Ravens? Or better yet, elite conference teams like the Chargers, Colts, and Pats? Was 2006 just a sign of things to come or was it just underachieving by the whole team?

So many questions surrounding the 2007 Steelers. So scary yet exciting at the same time.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: How talented are the Steelers?

I think that the defense will improve....my concerns lie on the offensive side of the ball.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Talented, yet unpredictable.

Even 2005 was plagued with inconsistent play before the last few regular season games and the postseason.

The biggest wildcard remains the HC - he could be great,medicore or poor and that will probably have the biggest effect on how 2007 pans out.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,240 Times in 3,618 Posts

Playoff competitive but I certainly do not see them in the Pats/Chargers class talent wise (I omit the Colts because Manning is the great equalizer for a team that otherwise does not overwhelm with talent).

A lot of talent on both sides of the ball (Bettis/Porter/Ward/Faneca/Farrior) has left/is leaving/or is on the downslope. IMHO this will be the biggest rebuild of the talent base since the late 90s and we recall how those years went. Hopefully the difference this time is we have a franchise QB who can cover up for a lot; if not, look out.

It's all about Ben for the next few years.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

I think they were talented last year, but didnt have the right coaching in place. This year I think we have the right coach to get all the players to play up to their ability. We just need to make sure that we have no off season injuries again and we should be fine. I think if Ben and Holmes get on the same page they could be a very dangerous combination.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I believe the Steelers possess a great deal of sheer talent and could be very dangerous IF they keep everything in perspective, play as a team and don't allow their heads to become swollen as I feel they did last season. I still totally disagree that coaching played a huge role in this team's downfalls last season, though I think it played into the equation a little. These guys are grown men and professionals - they shouldn't need any coach to take them by the little handie or kick them in the hiney to get them going. It is very easy to blame the HC when a team plummets from glory, but if you stop and think about it - minus The Bus, this team was basically the same team with the same coaching staff that won the Super Bowl the season before.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
TX Steel
Water Boy

Member Number: 5558

With so many young playmakers (Holmes, Miller, Spaeth, Parker, Reid, etc.) on offense it's really tough to tell. And like Livinginthe past said, the new coaching staff will go a long way in deciding how good these guys will be.

I agree with LambertIsGod58; the D is just fine. In fact, they may be better than they have been in a while. Special teams will be better than last year. Those two things should keep us in playoff contention. Our offense will determine how far in the playoffs we go.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Playoff competitive but I certainly do not see them in the Pats/Chargers class talent wise (I omit the Colts because Manning is the great equalizer for a team that otherwise does not overwhelm with talent).

A lot of talent on both sides of the ball (Bettis/Porter/Ward/Faneca/Farrior) has left/is leaving/or is on the downslope. IMHO this will be the biggest rebuild of the talent base since the late 90s and we recall how those years went. Hopefully the difference this time is we have a franchise QB who can cover up for a lot; if not, look out.

It's all about Ben for the next few years.

I have to agree here. This may very well may be the begining of something of a Transitional period for us so to speak. As IMO this team cannot possibly have the same identity that we had during Cowher's tenure.
Different Coaches,...different philosphies, which means different personel and very well entirely different degrees of success and or failure.
The former regime even in spite of the title game losses,...aquitted themselves well for the most part from nearly day one. In regards to keeping us consistently competitive and worthy of respect at the very least. To say nothing of divisional championships, playoff births and a World title. The majority of which were all earned with 'bargain basement' personel at some of the most key positions on the field.

Will this remain the case ?,..only time will tell. But i look forward to coming to know as much.

I also agree that Ben is the 'X-factor'. But then again, for no matter how important the quality of the QB will always be,...ONE man is not an island. Meaning,..even IF Ben becomes the player that he's capable of being,...he can't do it alone. (Ie: Danny Marino)
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

As of right now......

IMO, they have the talent to be a good team in the future, but they have some questionable big holes. DB (can Ike bounce back? How will McFadden look? Deshea is not getting any younger) and QB (can Roethlisberger bounce back?). That's simply naming two positions IMO.

As for last season....

Last year our "franshise" QB decided to be mature and drive a street bike (minus a helmet and license) in the city of Pittsburgh. Much like with Bradshaw and his corvet, he was asked to part it and unlike Bradshaw "Big" Ben" did not bother taking the advice. Complete idiocy in that situation led to our nicely paid "franchise" QB playing at a very, very low level. That was obviously huge in our pathetic season. It's your starting QB.

I'm not going to pretend that I know how he will respond to coming off a pathetic season. That's why I consider it a very big question mark. Personally, I won't know until the season starts and see it for myself because I can't read the future.

If I had to guess, I think we will struggle this upcoming season. Between the coaching changes and the amount of question marks, I'm not exactly comfortable with this years team. Who knows though? I will continue to keep a positive attitude until they prove to me that my concerns are legit. Eitherway, I'm sure we will hear "Now are you glad we took Tomlin?" and "Now what do you think about that draft?" by the very small and very smart Steeler "fans" who are involved with this organizaton if we have a bad season.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,492 Times in 3,953 Posts

if we dont prove to be one of the most talented teams, then position by position we have one of the most overpaid teams.

i havent crunched the numbers but im willing to say last year our linebackers and offensive linemen were the most expensive units in the nfl in regards to the position they play. our wr corps and defensive line get paid way too much to turn in an 8-8 season.