Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Thumbs up Steelers, Focused on the Field.

http://news.steelers.com/article/76887/

Quote:
Steelers focused on the field
Thursday, May 31, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

It's a piece of paper with three simple words typed on it that is taped to the doors that lead from the locker room area to the fields at the UMPC Sports Performance Complex.

But those three words speak volumes for the approach the Steelers are taking this off-season.

It reads ? 'Take the Field.'

"When you take the field you take it to go out and take a step forward," said wide receiver Hines Ward. "Don't come out here if you have problems at home or whatever. Leave that outside of the facility.

"When you step on the field it's time to play football and guys are focusing on that. When we come out here this is our safe haven. It's all about football and we can just concentrate on that and go out and become better football players."

Ward talked about the commitment the players have to getting back to championship form this year following the team's OTA's on Wednesday. Football season might be months away, but the desire to win another championship is in the forefront of the players minds. And that is why they are working together, with veterans helping out rookies, and guys on offense helping defensive players and visa-versa.

"It's all about getting 53 guys to go out and help us win a championship," said Ward. "That's what this game is about.

"I think we do a lot of communicating with the wide outs and defensive backs. Even though we are competing against one another, we're all on the same team and we want to get everyone on the same page so we can all help each other to win a championship."

"That's what OTA's are all about. It's about communicating and getting one the same page so when training camp comes we are hitting on all cylinders."

The OTA's are also about putting a few new twists in to the playbook. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has made some changes, including working on the no-huddle offense, and Ward thinks the new twists will give them an edge.

"We're not going to be predictable," said Ward. "We're going to the defense on their heel. If we come out spreading the ball we're going to find ways to attack the defense."

Ward has noticed a change in quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, seeing the quarterback take a more vocal leadership role and it's something he thinks will benefit the team.

"He's the quarterback and that's his job," said Ward. "He is coming into his fourth year now and has been through a lot of ups and downs. He is a leader on this team. This game is built around the quarterback and you go as far as your quarterback takes you and he is realizing that He is emerging and growing every day we take the field."

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Steelers, Focused on the Field.

Just gives me the "Warm Fuzzies!"

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
"We're not going to be predictable," said Ward. "We're going to the defense on their heel. If we come out spreading the ball we're going to find ways to attack the defense."
I'm surprised nobody's criticizing Ward for this obvious shot at the old regime....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,761 Times in 2,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I'm surprised nobody's criticizing Ward for this obvious shot at the old regime....
ward is the official sound bite machine. and while ben is attempting to sieze the title i can see where both of them are coming from. maybe the sqeaky clean thing to do, would be for both of them to clam up but, with their remarks the honus is on them to go out there and perform and show they were much more capable of achieving what the "old regime" allowed.

i think alot of tiny jabs ben has taken recently are jabs that hines secretly agrees with. its pretty obvious that their talents were held back while cowher carried out his man love for jerome, joey, and kordell (to a lesser extent). cowhers failed experiment with famous amos, and tommy gun, maybe made him gun shy.

he was a great coach. all players, and most fans will agree, but i think alot of players (especially the young ones) are seeing broader horizons. i was a huge fan of the old regime and even suggested the hiring of tomlin might have been money related but i now realize the rooneys didnt draft all these offensive weapons to become stale and stagnant.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:41 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I wonder if it is a shot at Cowher, or if it is actually a shot at Faneca. did anyone here Ward saying... ALL 53 men... Working with each other...etc. etc.

Just wondering!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 AM   #6
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I wonder if it is a shot at Cowher, or if it is actually a shot at Faneca. did anyone here Ward saying... ALL 53 men... Working with each other...etc. etc.

Just wondering!
Do my eyes deceive me? Is this the Preacher playing devil's advocate?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:57 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,343 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It sounds like a shot at both of them.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Just wondering!
Thats a good catch, I didnt notice that until you said something. It very well may be a way to tell Faneca to leave the money issues off the field and put your hard hat on
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Any which way you want to look at it, it's nice to hear Hines falling in line so to speak and supporting the new regime. I guess all that talk about coach Tomlin eventually winning over the players (spoken by his former players) was'nt just lip service.

Everyday the excitement and anticipation just grows and grows. C'mon Faneca jump aboard this ship is moving fast.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote