Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #41
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: AFTER THE FALL: Wiser Roethlisberger looks to return to form in 2007

I don't think Ben hated Cowher at all. I think he just felt that Cowher didn't trust him enough and being the youngster that he is, felt slighted by it. Cowher had good reason to doubt Ben last year.......but he let him play anyway when he really should have just put Batch in instead of letting Ben blow a couple of those games. (I'm not saying 8-8 was tootally Ben's fault). That's on Cowhers shoulders......IMO. I'll always wonder what would have happened last year if the accident never happened......I think Ben and the rest of the team will be better and more focused this year because of last season. What's the saying.......what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger? It was the perfect time for a coaching change. They were humbled by last season and now they have the opportunity to focus and start over with a clean slate.........everybody must prove themselves, from the head coach on down.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #42
Smashmouth225
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5469
Default Re: AFTER THE FALL: Wiser Roethlisberger looks to return to form in 2007

I think Big Ben will tear the league up this tear. I'm not looking for 4000-5000 passing yards but @ least 3500 and 28 tds and 14 int. Excuses are like ***holes and everyone has one so i'm going to say the accident and the emergency surgery did play a part in Ben's struggles. That is not the only reason though; O-line sucked big time and i'm going to put that on both the coaches and the players. It's obvious after XL these dudes(O-line) forgot they had a title to defend. Isn't it the coaches reponsibility to get these guys ready. This is the same group that during the SB run played lights out. I don't recall @ anytime during this run Big Ben getting crushed like he did. The line has always a strenght and one of the best in the NFL to fall like it did was sad to watch. Jeff Hartings was the weak link on the line believe that. Watch tape against Jacksonville, San Diego or even Oakland and watch how the middle was getting blown up. I'm not worried about Big Ben but the big guys up front has got to handle there business. It's no reason they shouldn't get it done they have done it before.

Last edited by Smashmouth225; 06-03-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: mispelled word
Smashmouth225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #43
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashmouth225 View Post
I think Big Ben will tear the league up this tear. I'm not looking for 4000-5000 passing yards but @ least 3500 and 28 tds and 14 int. Excuses are like ***holes and everyone has one so i'm going to say the accident and the emergency surgery did play a part in Ben's struggles. That is not the only reason though; O-line sucked big time and i'm going to put that on both the coaches and the players. It's obvious after XL these dudes(O-line) forgot they had a title to defend. Isn't it the coaches reponsibility to get these guys ready. This is the same group that during the SB run played lights out. I don't recall @ anytime during this run Big Ben getting crushed like he did. The line has always a strenght and one of the best in the NFL to fall like it did was sad to watch. Jeff Hartings was the weak link on the line believe that. Watch tape against Jacksonville, San Diego or even Oakland and watch how the middle was getting blown up. I'm not worried about Big Ben but the big guys up front has got to handle there business. It's no reason they shouldn't get it done they have done it before.
Great post, yeah Hartings seemed weak at times, but also good at other times. I'm not looking for Ben to have great stats, just for him to win and stay healthy.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #44
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
If Ben is half as good as he thinks he is, he will be the best QB ever. Look at his High School, College, & Pro stats prior to last year. He is incredibly gifted and has the confidence. If he is fully healed, buckles down, focuses & matures, with his new weapons & coaching, he could be unbeatable.

but be prepared for the critics. if ben does start throwing for 300 yards a game, he still will not earn the respect of some people. i cannot believe that eli manning gets all the credit from the media that he does, while no one (in the media) will put ben in the top 5 quarterbacks in nfl. almost all the shows i listen to on the radio would rate eli above ben, and i think that is CRAZY.
delhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #45
Smashmouth225
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5469

Big Ben has put up #'s that probably will not get touched anytime soon. 13 straight wins as a rookie plus following year SB victory youngest QB ever. I guess that does not count for anything. I know its all about what have you done for me lately but IMO that should count for something. There is no way we go 15-1 and win a Super Bowl w/Maddox at the QB position. The critics should back off of Ben. Eli was injury free and struggled big time last year. I wonder what these guys(media) be drinking or smoking?
Smashmouth225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #46
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

I think first down and red zone passing effectiveness will be the key factor in evaluating the improvement of Ben as a quarterback. Will he be able to read defenses and pick up more than 5 yards on first down? Will he force a pass in the red zone which results in a turnover vs a minimum of 3 points which was a huge factor last last year? We know he has the arm strength and the athletic ability to keep plays alive. His improvement those situations will elevate the team to a playoff caliber level.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #47
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhess View Post
i cannot believe that eli manning gets all the credit from the media that he does, while no one (in the media) will put ben in the top 5 quarterbacks in nfl. almost all the shows i listen to on the radio would rate eli above ben, and i think that is CRAZY.
I agree - the talking heads seem to think that if they keep hyping Eli up, he's somehow going to become a carbon copy of his brother. I know he's still young, but IMO, he'll NEVER approach what his brother is as a QB.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #48
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

the way i look at the quarterback position, it is a lot of x's and o's, but all the smarts in the world, (and skill) doesn't make you a leader, and that (leadership) in the end is what it takes to rally a team. look at philly last year: is garcia a "better" qb then mcnabb? no. garcia is a better, more likable LEADER. i think payton struggled with confindence from his team as well. that's just my opinion. colts fans would prob. hang me for saying that:)
delhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #49
SteelerWatch
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5526

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity58 View Post
Cowher was/is one of the best coaches to ever walk a sideline.
True, but his track record when it counted wasn't all that great. Not to knock him, because I loved the guy as our HC, but he had a tendency to go soft when it was all on the line in the playoffs.

Quote:
Ben has the tools both physically and is instinctive...not smart...but instinctive in the pocket, and one of the best QB's the Steelers have ever had..if not for TB.
Ben is actually very intelligent, just not too mature at times. He ran out of a no-huddle offense in college, which puts the majority of the decision-making squarely on the shoulders of the QB -- and he did it exceptionally well, especially for a small school.

Quote:
I'm unsure about this Tomlin guy and his laid back approach.
Quiet and Nurturing != Laid Back. Teddy Roosevelt once said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." In other words, the best way to get a point across to someone is to say it in a way they will understand and not be turned off by, but to say it firmly nonetheless. Tomlin learned this from Tony Dungy -- who learned it from Chuck Noll. Chuck had a very easily ignited fiery side, but he was also much the same as Tomlin.