Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Bucs' LaRoche loses chance to face his brother

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_510740.html

Bucs' LaRoche loses chance to face his brother

By Rob Biertempfel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, June 3, 2007

Pirates first baseman Adam LaRoche will have to wait until next year for a chance to play against his younger brother.

Before Saturday's game at PNC Park, the Los Angeles Dodgers optioned third baseman Andy LaRoche back to Triple-A Las Vegas. Andy LaRoche was sent out to clear roster space for pitcher Hong-Chih Kuo, who started last night against the Pirates.

"It didn't happen at a good time," Adam LaRoche said. "It would have been nice if Andy could have gotten a couple more days out of it. I wish he could have played the next few games against us. I'd been looking forward to that, but it's not going to happen now."

The Pirates and Dodgers don't play each other again this season.

The LaRoche brothers are four years apart, so they never played on the same team or against each other in school or youth leagues.

Two years ago, when Adam still was with the Atlanta Braves, they squared off in a spring training game.

"It's always been our dream to play in the big leagues," Andy said. "He was always better than me growing up because, obviously, he had four years on me. But he helped me out a lot.

"We had fun little rivalries, in the batting cage and stuff. For the most part, it was just going out and being kids, having a good time."

Well ... not always.

"We were way too competitive around the house (as kids)," Adam said. "I don't know how many fights we had over pingpong games, racing bikes, batting cages, whatever.

"He's more of the feisty one in the family. I'll let stuff roll off my back. You don't want to make him mad (because) he takes it pretty serious -- which, growing up, was even more reason to make him mad."

These days, the brothers touch base by cell phone every few days. The calls got more frequent once Andy was called up.

"We really don't talk a lot about baseball," Andy said. "It's more just about life, stuff off the field. But Adam does tell me, 'Just go and have fun. Listen to everybody and watch what they do. Don't come in and try to act like you own the place, have respect for everybody.' "

Andy LaRoche wasn't in the Dodgers' lineup Friday in the first game of this series. He came up as a pinch-hitter in the seventh inning, but the at-bat was a blur. Andy flied out on the first pitch and didn't get a chance to say hello to his brother waiting at first base.

When Adam was playing defense that night, he didn't hear a peep from his brother sitting a few yards away in the Dodgers' dugout.

"He's still a rookie," Adam said, smiling. "He sits down and keeps his mouth shut."

Andy was called up from Las Vegas on May 6, while the Dodgers were playing in Atlanta. He got his first hit that day, a ground-rule double to the gap in right-center field -- the same spot in the same ballpark where Adam had gotten his first career hit.

"We talked the day after he got called up," Adam said. "Andy's a guy who, normally, I may talk for a minute with him and that's a long conversation. But that day, after he got called up, I couldn't shut him up for about 15 minutes."

Their father, Dave LaRoche, is in his third season as pitching coach for the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, the Toronto Blue Jays' Double-A affiliate. When Andy was called up from Las Vegas, his dad took a few days off to watch his youngest son make his Dodgers debut.

Monday is a travel day for the Fisher Cats, who are on their way to Akron, Ohio, to begin a three-game series. The team's travel plans were tweaked to include a stop at PNC Park, so Dave LaRoche could see his sons play.

Dave LaRoche is still coming Monday, but he'll have to settle for just half of the show he'd hoped to see.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Default Re: Bucs' LaRoche loses chance to face his brother

It stinks to see that we couldn't see the brothers go at it against each other. Maybe we'll see it next year. Heck, even in the playoffs if we pull something off.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
It stinks to see that we couldn't see the brothers go at it against each other. Maybe we'll see it next year. Heck, even in the playoffs if we pull something off.

what "stinks" is not seeing the pirates win. screw the brothers.

but atleast having the lead late (again) and losing by only 1 run (again) is a sign of hope.

"WE WILL....hope next year is better"
Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

what "stinks" is not seeing the pirates win. screw the brothers.

but atleast having the lead late (again) and losing by only 1 run (again) is a sign of hope.

"WE WILL....hope next year is better"
1 run losses will kill you.

Trust me, If it wasn't for 1 run, my little league baseball team a couple year back would have won a championship.