Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter
 
Stlrs4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Bedford, Pa
Posts: 5,657
Gender: Male
Member Number: 419
Thanks: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My Mood: Bored
Thumbs down Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

BATTLE BREWING OVER WEB SITE CONTROL

One of the issues that was discussed, but tabled, during last week's ownership meetings in Nashville arises directly from the NFL's renewed focus on the league's web site, and the sites of its 32 teams.

Per a league source, the NFL hopes to exercise more control over club web sites. The problem is that many clubs want to continue to operate their own web sites with autonomy, as they traditionally have.

The league office hopes to find a middle ground between the current approach in the NFL and, for example, Major League Baseball, which exercises complete control over team sites.

The issue is becoming quite contentious, we're told, and the several teams with otherwise dissimilar interests came together at last week's meetings and helped forge a decision to postpone the matter until the next round of meetings in October.

Our guess? Teams will be more receptive to the notion of sacrificing control to the NFL if/when the re-launched NFL.com site (which we hear will be heavy on video content) establishes itself as a profit center. The league is finalizing plans to operate the site on its own, with no involvement from an outside media company.
__________________

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Posts: 19,587
Gender: Male
Member Number: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

The NHL is doing that I heard. See the Hurricanes Site. I prefer the sites that the Steelers and Penguins have now.
__________________

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,686
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,428
Thanked 11,010 Times in 4,558 Posts
Default Re: Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

Quote:
Teams will be more receptive to the notion of sacrificing control to the NFL if/when the re-launched NFL.com site (which we hear will be heavy on video content) establishes itself as a profit center.
this is disturbing. i hate the thought of NFL.com becoming like espn's site. if i have to pay to read kirwans articles or schefters news updates i will be royally pissed.

i pay enough for sirius radio and direct tv, primarilly for these alone.
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter
 
Stlrs4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Bedford, Pa
Posts: 5,657
Gender: Male
Member Number: 419
Thanks: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My Mood: Bored
Default Re: Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

Same here. The Steelers site isn't the best in the NFL, but it is better than what they started with.
__________________

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Posts: 19,587
Gender: Male
Member Number: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Same here. The Steelers site isn't the best in the NFL, but it is better than what they started with.
That's for sure.
__________________

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,686
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,428
Thanked 11,010 Times in 4,558 Posts
Default Re: Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Same here. The Steelers site isn't the best in the NFL, but it is better than what they started with.
i forgot to mention, this is where i draw the line. i pay for high speed internet acces, i definitely aint gonna pay more to access specific sites. the nfl wont get a dime out of me for something that can so easilly be cut and pasted. i see this going the "napster" route. its bogus. its like prosecuting somebody for photocopying an article out of a magazine and giving it to a friend.
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,459
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

Profit center? Now this is just wrong
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Jeremy
Banned
 
Jeremy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Great American Southwest
Posts: 3,483
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2579
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
BATTLE BREWING OVER WEB SITE CONTROL

One of the issues that was discussed, but tabled, during last week's ownership meetings in Nashville arises directly from the NFL's renewed focus on the league's web site, and the sites of its 32 teams.

Per a league source, the NFL hopes to exercise more control over club web sites. The problem is that many clubs want to continue to operate their own web sites with autonomy, as they traditionally have.

The league office hopes to find a middle ground between the current approach in the NFL and, for example, Major League Baseball, which exercises complete control over team sites.

The issue is becoming quite contentious, we're told, and the several teams with otherwise dissimilar interests came together at last week's meetings and helped forge a decision to postpone the matter until the next round of meetings in October.

Our guess? Teams will be more receptive to the notion of sacrificing control to the NFL if/when the re-launched NFL.com site (which we hear will be heavy on video content) establishes itself as a profit center. The league is finalizing plans to operate the site on its own, with no involvement from an outside media company.

So CBS is being dismissed huh?
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter
 
X-Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,881
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
The NHL is doing that I heard. See the Hurricanes Site. I prefer the sites that the Steelers and Penguins have now.
Yeah, several other NHL teams have already gone over to the new sites (Boston, Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida, Philadelphia and St. Louis, just to name a few), and they all have the same format. So I'm not surprised to hear that the NFL wants to do it - they've undoubtedly seen the success of MLB's premium online services like MLB.TV, and they (along with the NHL) want their piece of the internet pie. I personally would rather the teams keep control of their sites and content, but obviously they are looking to max out the revenue that they can generate.
__________________
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Battle Brewing over NFL Web site control

Hmmm...

A couple more issues like this and maybe that new league WILL take off!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts