Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
Black-n-Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 602
Default Westbrook cuts off contract talks with Eagles

http://<a href="http://www.nfl.com/t...HI/8820387</a>

Seems like this is the year to demand money from the Eagles. Mcnabb re-signed, TO wants more money, and now Westbrook wants more money. It's kinda funny
Old 09-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Black-n-Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 602
Default Re: Westbrook cuts off contract talks with Eagles

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PHI/8820387

PHILADELPHIA (Sept. 8, 2005) -- Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook cut off contract talks with the Philadelphia Eagles because the two sides are far apart on a long-term extension.

"Me and my agent have told the Eagles' management that we're no longer interested in talking to them as far as the contract situation," Westbrook said. "We don't feel as though we've received a proposal from them that really represents the value that I bring to this team and my market value. I think that in the last 2?, 3 years that I've been here, I've brought a lot to this team."

Westbrook, talking for the first time since reporting to training camp after a one-week holdout, had been seeking a long-term deal after signing a one-year restricted free agent offer.

"It's just frustrating for me to come to work every day knowing that in the back of my mind I feel kind of disrespected by the offer that I continue to get from the Eagles," he said.

In his three-year career, Westbrook has rushed for 1,618 yards and 10 touchdowns and caught 119 passes for 1,121 yards and 10 TDs.

"I run the ball, I catch the ball, and for this team I am very valuable," Westbrook said. "I think any time a defense or any other team comes in here ... one of the players that they have to stop when they come play the Philadelphia Eagles is Brian Westbrook."

Westbrook skipped the Eagles' post-draft minicamp and sat out the first week of training camp. He switched agents, from Anthony Agnone to Fletcher Smith, who also represents Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, and was looking for a five-year deal before the start of the season.

Westbrook said the numbers are far apart and the two sides have never really come close to reaching an agreement.

The versatile Westbrook is coming off a breakout season in which he led the team with 1,515 total yards and was tops among NFL running backs with 73 catches for 703 yards and six touchdowns, despite sitting out the last two regular-season games. Westbrook was a key part of the Eagles' trip to the Super Bowl and caught a 10-yard touchdown pass in the 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

"I'm still going to come out here and be the best running back I can be," he said.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I think he was the only RB to crack the top 20 in receptions last year. He's an adaquate runner, but an exceptional receiving back...he'll be tough for them to replace next year.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Boy do the Eagles have their troubles.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Boy do the Eagles have their troubles.

YOU COULD SAY THAT A FEW TIMES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Still, they are the media darlings of the NFC. According to just about every human being who has ever hosted a sports show or written a sports column, the Eagles have already won the NFC before taking a single snap this year...how do they explain the T.O. thing? "Sometimes distractions are good"...

If you are the frontrunner in preseason, media whores will fall all over themselves to find excuses to keep you there. Quite frankly, I'm happy (and I'm sure the Steelers are happy, too) that Pittsburgh is sliding under the radar in a lot of peoples prognostications. I hope every single team we face this year buys the garbage that only the Colts and Pats are contenders in the AFC...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote