Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Who's going to win tonight
Patriots 9 47.37%
Raiders 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2005, 02:20 AM   #21
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Raiders @ Patriots...

Once again the raiders demonstrate how they can't play defense for 4 quarters, how kerry collins best years in the NFL were w/ the panthers in the beginning and its been downhill ever since. He's got no excuse, not w/ those weapons at his disposal.

The pats were just too much in the end and the raiders just couldnt get it done in the end, again...
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #22
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Some things to note from the game...Raiders Oline is not as solid as predicted by a lot of people, but that may be just a case of confusion (we all know NE can run the same type of blitzes the Steelers can). I only think Collins was sacked once, but he was rushed all day. Better QB's and Olines are in the Pats future.

The Raiders defense is indeed awful, but they did stuff the run for the most part (Dillon 23 for 63), and when they pressured Brady, he made bad throws...too bad they don't really have the defense to do that for a whole game.

Jordan and Crockett between them averaged almost 4.3 a carry, and, even though I think Jordan will have a nice year, he is far, FAR from the best back the Patriots will face this year...they will have trouble stopping the run all year.

Moss had a lousy game, and STILL was 5-130 and a TD...but I can't remember another game where he dropped 2 passes. Still, when Porter gets healthy, teams won't have enough DB's to double and triple Moss AND watch the other WR's running around in the secondary.

Belichick was lucky his team helped him out and covered up for his poor coaching move. If it's 4th and 1 on your 30, you are protecting a slim 3 point lead, and you play a conservative ball control style offense, there are 3 choices: The logical two are either use one of the most accurate kickers in the league in Vinatieri and kick the FG, or punt, pin the opposition deep, and play the field position attrition game The illogical choice is to go for it. Of course, they went for it and failed, and it could have been the turning point of the game, but stupid Kerry Collins couldn't make a decision fast enough and fumbled the game away.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #23
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywater
Always make a Karma prediction. The results have been good, no?
lol, well it don't work for me, i tried doing the same thing when we played ya'll in the afcc game.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #24
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I say the Pats 30-20, or somewhere close to that! LOL
Old 09-10-2005, 02:35 AM   #25
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Some things to note from the game...Raiders Oline is not as solid as predicted by a lot of people, but that may be just a case of confusion (we all know NE can run the same type of blitzes the Steelers can). I only think Collins was sacked once, but he was rushed all day. Better QB's and Olines are in the Pats future.

The Raiders defense is indeed awful, but they did stuff the run for the most part (Dillon 23 for 63), and when they pressured Brady, he made bad throws...too bad they don't really have the defense to do that for a whole game.

Jordan and Crockett between them averaged almost 4.3 a carry, and, even though I think Jordan will have a nice year, he is far, FAR from the best back the Patriots will face this year...they will have trouble stopping the run all year.

Moss had a lousy game, and STILL was 5-130 and a TD...but I can't remember another game where he dropped 2 passes. Still, when Porter gets healthy, teams won't have enough DB's to double and triple Moss AND watch the other WR's running around in the secondary.

Belichick was lucky his team helped him out and covered up for his poor coaching move. If it's 4th and 1 on your 30, you are protecting a slim 3 point lead, and you play a conservative ball control style offense, there are 3 choices: The logical two are either use one of the most accurate kickers in the league in Vinatieri and kick the FG, or punt, pin the opposition deep, and play the field position attrition game The illogical choice is to go for it. Of course, they went for it and failed, and it could have been the turning point of the game, but stupid Kerry Collins couldn't make a decision fast enough and fumbled the game away.
You SURE you aint a Raider fan Suitanim?...them grapes look awful sour!

When there has only been one game it is nigh on impossible to tell if the raiders have a 'weak' O-Line...or the Pats have a 'strong' D-Line - but I know where my money is.

The raiders D was awful - They seemed to be solely intent on stopping Dillon at all costs - and it took them a whole quarter to work out that Brady was slicing their secondary into tiny pieces.

Im not sure what 'bad throws' you seen Brady make - if you are pressured then you do the sensible thing and get rid of it as safely as possible - just because it was incomplete doesn't mean it was a bad throw per se.

The Porter and Moss threat will be something else - and coupled with the Raiders terrible D I think I am taking the 'over' spread in the next few raiders games - even if its at 50!

Blah blah Beleichick was lucky.....Brady was lucky - its amazing the ways people find to disrespect certain elements of the Patriots franchise by paying back handed compliments to other parts that functioned well....next week we will be hearing about how "lucky Brady benefitted from great defence...from his OWN team"

I just been on a raider board where they are all crying about how "Brady aint that good, he just has a pro-bowl RB, pro-bowl O-line, and 3 pro-bowl WR's"....so I can assure you that your tactic isn't a new one lol

FYI we have used the 4th down conversion to devastating effect in previous games - fortune favours the brave - and there is nothing quite like the morale boost a team gets when a coach says to his players - "Go and get me that yard - Im confident in your ability"....it also has the effect of demoralising the opposition who thought they were getting the ball back.

Watch as the Patriots grow and grow in stature and confidence as the season wears on - we have quite a few wrinkles to work out of our system.....but I back us to be on top form come the post season.

I cant wait to watch some neutral games and do a bit of scouting.

Cheers

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #26
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Brady overthrew his receivers at least 3 times off the top of my head...he is not God, and can be pressured into making poor decisions just like any other QB. Are you sure you aren't confusing me with someone else? I think Brady is a fine QB, but it seems awful defensive of you to have to put words in my mouth just because I point out that the dude isn't 100% accurate all the time.

Luck doesn't play a part in the game of football? Certainly you can't dismiss luck...even if you take Lombardi's definition of "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity", there still has been a healthy dose of luck for the Pats in the last few years. I criticize Belichick on that call just like I criticize Cowher every time he makes a stupid call like that...I prefer "Tressel-ball", playing conservative, protecting leads, playing the odds, depending on strong defense. Just because we have a philosophical difference of opinion doesn't mean I'm wrong. I think in that situation he was wrong, "preparation met opportunity" and the Pats defense handed him the ball back.

By the way, the Raiders are high on my list of most hated teams, I just hate the Pats more. My top 5 are...

1. Ratbirds-Satans team, just no redeemable qualities about them at all.
2. Patriots- I hate teams that win all the time, and all the bandwagoning and hyperbole that follows.
3. Raiders- It seems every one of their fans is either in prison, just out of prison, or getting ready to go to prison, and I'm pretty sure they are always drunk.
4. Cowboys- Hatred from the 70's almost went away, but then there were the 90's teams (see #2)
5. Browns/Bengals- Browns used to be higher, but they have just been so pathetic lately it's hard not to feel a little pity. The Bungals are always a hated rival, and their fans coming out at the beginning of every year saying "this year is the year" moves them higher up, but they fade down this list as their inevitable losses build up over each season.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #27
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Brady overthrew his receivers at least 3 times off the top of my head...he is not God, and can be pressured into making poor decisions just like any other QB. Are you sure you aren't confusing me with someone else? I think Brady is a fine QB, but it seems awful defensive of you to have to put words in my mouth just because I point out that the dude isn't 100% accurate all the time.

Luck doesn't play a part in the game of football? Certainly you can't dismiss luck...even if you take Lombardi's definition of "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity", there still has been a healthy dose of luck for the Pats in the last few years. I criticize Belichick on that call just like I criticize Cowher every time he makes a stupid call like that...I prefer "Tressel-ball", playing conservative, protecting leads, playing the odds, depending on strong defense. Just because we have a philosophical difference of opinion doesn't mean I'm wrong. I think in that situation he was wrong, "preparation met opportunity" and the Pats defense handed him the ball back.

By the way, the Raiders are high on my list of most hated teams, I just hate the Pats more. My top 5 are...

1. Ratbirds-Satans team, just no redeemable qualities about them at all.
2. Patriots- I hate teams that win all the time, and all the bandwagoning and hyperbole that follows.
3. Raiders- It seems every one of their fans is either in prison, just out of prison, or getting ready to go to prison, and I'm pretty sure they are always drunk.
4. Cowboys- Hatred from the 70's almost went away, but then there were the 90's teams (see #2)
5. Browns/Bengals- Browns used to be higher, but they have just been so pathetic lately it's hard not to feel a little pity. The Bungals are always a hated rival, and their fans coming out at the beginning of every year saying "this year is the year" moves them higher up, but they fade down this list as their inevitable losses build up over each season.
Talk about Hyperbole ha ha!

Most of your comments seem to be based on a statement of the obvious - allow me to agree with you to save you posting this stuff again.

1. I agree that Brady is not THE God or, for that matter, ANY God.

2. I agree that Tom Brady is not accurate 100% of the time

3. I wont dismiss luck as a factor - but its what you do with the opportunity that luck presents to you that counts - you dont think it was 'good luck' for alot of teams last year that we had an UDFA and WR playing at DB?

As far as your opinion on BB play calls on 4th down - we can agree to disagree - look what conservative play calling got the Colts last year.

You must be able to see why I find to give any sort of credence to your 'opinions' when you go ahead and admit that you hate the Patriots only slightly less than the Ravens - for the terrible sin of being better than the Steelers.

I think its fair to say that you only offer praise for a talented team when you game find some way of 'doing down' another element of the Patriots set up.

Cheers

NM
Old 09-10-2005, 01:11 PM   #28
Dirtywater
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 434

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. No wonder we're 'lucky' alot.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #29
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

This is getting boring. I have several teams on that list that aren't better than the Steelers, and I hate them almost as much or more than the Patriots.

You are overly sensitive about criticism directed towards your team, and this is while they are at their absolute zenith...I can't imagine how you are going to react when the pendulum swings back the other way (as it inevitbly will), and the Pats are just mediocre again...
Old 09-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #30
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
This is getting boring. I have several teams on that list that aren't better than the Steelers, and I hate them almost as much or more than the Patriots.

You are overly sensitive about criticism directed towards your team, and this is while they are at their absolute zenith...I can't imagine how you are going to react when the pendulum swings back the other way (as it inevitbly will), and the Pats are just mediocre again...
I really can do this all day - keep rebutting your weak arguments...after all I believe that is one of the points of this forum no?

Im using your own words to make my point - "I hate teams that win all the time..."

Sure there might be teams on that list that lose more regularly than the Steelers - but the expressed reason you gave for disliking us was that we 'won more'.

I dont believe I am being overly sensitive about anything - if you post stuff on the public domain you are surely inviting comment?!?

I guess the point I am making is that, in the absense of any real weaknesses in the Patriots set-up, alot of people have resorted to paying the team back handed compliments....ie thank god you got a pro-bowl part A...because your part B sucks...and suchlike....

If you find this tiresome maybe you should stop posting opinionated nonsense...just a suggestion.

Cheers

NM