Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,098 Times in 4,592 Posts
Default Americas Game- '76 Raiders

madden, villapiano, stabler give commentary. other than the 5 steelers, this has got to be the best one yet. so much better the 2nd time around.

the story of fred belitnikof chain smoking before games, throwing up for 20 minutes, and then puffing a few more drags in the tunnell is priceless.

their "pad guy" used to practically construct casts for them to wear. brown(?) had a fake "broken thumb for 7 years" villapiano recalls, as he gleefully says he could jab the false cast up into someones liver and "knock lc greenwood out with his thumb alone".

they talked about fred b. and all the stick um he used and showed the big ol glob stuck to his sock

john madden in his skin tight baby blue slacks

fans burning steeler pennants in the crowd for the final monday night game vs the bengals (a game that knocked the bengals out of the playoffs and put the steelers in). many thought they would throw the game to not have to face the steelers. they instead kicked the bungles ass.

i really like villapiano after this but, man, his hatred and resentment towards the steelers still runs deep. its great. raiders had the final score against the steelers in the afcc game put on their ring, not that of the actual sb.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Americas Game- '76 Raiders

But Fred Biletnikoff was a true legend. Is he worse because he smoked legal cigarettes then Randy Moss smoking illegal ones? I've seen Randy Moss take plays off and not run routes and drop all kinds of passes, but Biletnikoff was known as the guy who never dropped a pass he touched. He played every down. He's in the HOF.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
But Fred Biletnikoff was a true legend. Is he worse because he smoked legal cigarettes then Randy Moss smoking illegal ones? I've seen Randy Moss take plays off and not run routes and drop all kinds of passes, but Biletnikoff was known as the guy who never dropped a pass he touched. He played every down. He's in the HOF.
maybe this thread came off as sarcastic, but it really isnt. i loved the 3 commentators and the fred stories were great. no wonder they name the college wr of the year award named after him. but its funny they showed them spraying cans of this shit all over his arms and with so much goop on his hands he had to have trainers place a stick of gum in his mouth. i think it was stabler who kiddingly said "go out, smoke 2 packs a day, barf for 20 minutes, and make the hall of fame".

im definitely not knocking it. i appreciate that! randy moss and his hippie lettuce wouldnt have even lasted a year in the league back then, let alone through training camp on that roster. another trick they used that i liked was taping their arms in white tape when they played opponents in white jerseys and taping their arms in black when they'd play a team in black (like the steelers in 3 rivers) they did this to make it more difficult for the refs to see when they held.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

It was interesting to see the rivalry from the perspective of the Black & Silver and how much the losses to the Steelers ate that team up. Kind of like watching Das Boot or Eastwood's Letters From Iwo Jima.

Due to the general dilution of talent in free agency, the 70s Raiders certainly were a cut above the Cowher Steelers, but there are striking similarities. Numerous AFC Championship game losses, finally a SB win, and then it was if the goal was achieved and it quickly was over. Madden was even younger than Cowher when he retired only 2 years after winning SB XI.

Raiders retooled and actually won more SBs with Flores as coach than with Madden as HC - hopefully an omen for there being potential for great success after a legendary coach departs.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
tony hipchest
Supporter

interresting point atl dan. i hadnt even thought of the correlation between the 2. lets hope tomlin proves to be a modern day flores.

it was funny hearing villapiano talking about frenchy fuqua after both our 2 backs were out for that game. "...suddenly he wasnt good enough for them". he was quite a character. if he were playing todqay, id probably be a fan (i can even say i like namdi asamough)
Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
silver & black
Team Owner

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
madden, villapiano, stabler give commentary. other than the 5 steelers, this has got to be the best one yet. so much better the 2nd time around.

the story of fred belitnikof chain smoking before games, throwing up for 20 minutes, and then puffing a few more drags in the tunnell is priceless.

their "pad guy" used to practically construct casts for them to wear. brown(?) had a fake "broken thumb for 7 years" villapiano recalls, as he gleefully says he could jab the false cast up into someones liver and "knock lc greenwood out with his thumb alone".

they talked about fred b. and all the stick um he used and showed the big ol glob stuck to his sock

john madden in his skin tight baby blue slacks

fans burning steeler pennants in the crowd for the final monday night game vs the bengals (a game that knocked the bengals out of the playoffs and put the steelers in). many thought they would throw the game to not have to face the steelers. they instead kicked the bungles ass.

i really like villapiano after this but, man, his hatred and resentment towards the steelers still runs deep. its great. raiders had the final score against the steelers in the afcc game put on their ring, not that of the actual sb.
Those were the days! Those days are why I come to your site. I loved the rivalry and the bone crushing games the Raiders and Steelers played back then.

By the way, Lester Hayes is the one known for the stickum, not Freddy B... although Freddy may have used it too.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
silver & black
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It was interesting to see the rivalry from the perspective of the Black & Silver and how much the losses to the Steelers ate that team up. Kind of like watching Das Boot or Eastwood's Letters From Iwo Jima.

Due to the general dilution of talent in free agency, the 70s Raiders certainly were a cut above the Cowher Steelers, but there are striking similarities. Numerous AFC Championship game losses, finally a SB win, and then it was if the goal was achieved and it quickly was over. Madden was even younger than Cowher when he retired only 2 years after winning SB XI.

Raiders retooled and actually won more SBs with Flores as coach than with Madden as HC - hopefully an omen for there being potential for great success after a legendary coach departs.
Thats an assessment that I agree with. Hopefully, the Raiders are starting a comeback that could lead to a rekindling of the best rivalry the NFL has ever seen (IMO).

For the record... its Silver & Black... not the other way around!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #8
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Silver & Black, as always I love all your threads pretty much and respect you as a Raidddddddddersssss fan. I honestly can say though with all do respect to you... I just couldnt stand the Raiders back then. But in the early to mid 80's it was the Bengals with Ken Anderson and Co. that I couldnt stand. My buddy Hank, is a big Raiders fan and he is pretty excited about this years Raiders team, as he should be... but you guys are gonna have 1 less win this year since we are not on your schedule this year. Thats what I told him and he just laughed...
God Still Answers Prayers
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
silver & black
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
Silver & Black, as always I love all your threads pretty much and respect you as a Raidddddddddersssss fan. I honestly can say though with all do respect to you... I just couldnt stand the Raiders back then. But in the early to mid 80's it was the Bengals with Ken Anderson and Co. that I couldnt stand. My buddy Hank, is a big Raiders fan and he is pretty excited about this years Raiders team, as he should be... but you guys are gonna have 1 less win this year since we are not on your schedule this year. Thats what I told him and he just laughed...
God Still Answers Prayers
Elvis
I can understand your feelings toward the Raiders back then... I felt pretty much the same way about the Steelers
I would love to see the Raiders and the Steelers become the two most dominant teams in the NFL again. You guys are pretty much there... we have a bit of work to do yet. See you in the AFC Championship game in a few years .
Old 06-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter

staying true to their word to delameillure, tim ryan and pat kirwan have been having alot of old time players on their show, and today they had villapiano on. another great interview, and i'd have to say him and g. upshaw arent the best of buds. hes doing alot of work to raise money for an ex teammate (?steve smith i believe?) who currently has ALS, is dying, and cant pay his bills. a bunch of old timers are participating in a golf tournament for him. he was flabbergasted when tim ryan told him that a 5 year player can retire today and draw a pension of $400,000 when he turns 62.

villapiano took his pension out early at 56 cause he wants to be alive to enjoy it. he talked about not being able to sleep at night because both of his arms go numb and he has to "shake it off". tim ryan followed up saying he has the same thing and they both discussed how they dont know what causes it. very interesting stuff and i respect the hell out of these guys starting to band together to fight a large cause, and tim and pat not just sweeping these issues under the rug.