Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: Upshaw's Physical Threats Taken Seriously

Ok.. this is my opinion on the NFLPA. I think that the older players should have this help. The players that have played the last 5 to 10 years that made over a certain amount of $$$ should not. If they sit out here and make $8.5 million a year then they can afford some kind of life insurance and just accidental insurance on their own. How can anyone make that kind of cash and not afford to take care of their selves for the rest of their retired lives? Give me a break, if you cant take care of your $$$ better than that then you need to hire a secratery to take care of it. Anyone should know that anyone can live pretty much all their lives with just that $8.5 million ... Is there anyone in this forrum that couldnt live the rest of their lives on that kind of onetime payment? I just about bet anyone here that I could, and live pretty darn good. Now, I know that the old time players didnt make near the $$ that the last 10 years players have, so they need the help. But someone is gonna have to teach Upshaw a lesson of a good but kicking in my opinion
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I have no doubt that as a young adult Gene Upshaw's role model for dealing with others was Al Davis.

Upshaw's thuggish comments and practice of abusing those who cannot benefit him are classic traits of Oakland Al.

NM
Kinda getting off track here but this brings to mind the "America's Game" installment I just saw a couple days ago. 76 Raiders. They are actually proud of the fact that they are a bunch of cheating scumbags. If you watched the segment a couple of the players and Madden himself were laughing about how one O Lineman in particular had a "broken thumb" for seven years just so he had an excuse to wrap up God knows what underneath the cast and used it to jam into the midsection of opposing players. (He named LC Greenwood as one he did it to) They had a trainer on staff who was an "expert" at taping players up with "illegal materials?? metal, wood, etc?? under the tape to use as a weapon on the field.

The majority of the Raider Nation is comprised of a bunch of scumbags who also think this amusing. Al Davis is the biggest POS thats ever been a part of the NFL. Karma is a bitch though, the Raiders organization is in about the same shape as Al himself. In need of a diaper change. See ya in the funny papers Al.

I hope Upshaw loses his job over this.

Last edited by rbryan; 06-06-2007 at 03:05 PM.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Upshaw was a great player and I respect him very much in that regard. As the head of the NFLPA, I think he's a slimy P.O.S.
He represents the players of today. They are just as much responsible as he is for taking care of the old timers... THEY have to agree to give up more money for the fund, as I understand it. Upshaw's responsibility is to look after the players that are playing NOW... not back in the day.

I'm sure he would like to take care of the old timers, as he is one of them... sort of, but the entire blame for this cannot, and should not be placed entirely on his shoulders.

I'm not defending because he was a Raider... I'm not defending him at all, really. I'm just throwing out the rest of the story because no one ever wants to aknowledge that the crusade isn't one sided and that Upshaw can only do so much without the player's cooperation.
silver & black is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

[QUOTE=rbryan;254165The majority of the Raider Nation is comprised of a bunch of scumbags who also think this amusing. Al Davis is the biggest POS thats ever been a part of the NFL. Karma is a bitch though, the Raiders organization is in about the same shape as Al himself. In need of a diaper change. See ya in the funny papers Al.

I hope Upshaw loses his job over this.[/QUOTE]

Thats a pretty broad brush you paint with!

Al Davis is a HUGE part of why you have the NFL as it is today... like him or not.

The Raider Nation, of which I am part of, is not by a long shot comprised of scumbags, as you so eloquently put it.

I will apologize to most of you now, since I will probably get banned after this. Its been a pleasure to talk with some of you about the old days and the Raiders, Steelers rivalry. I've enjoyed my time here... sorry it had to end this way, but I will not stand by and take that kind of crap... as I doubt most of you would take that kind of talk about your team, owner and fans either.

Good luck with your season... bye.

Last edited by fansince'76; 06-06-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language
silver & black is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #15
rbryan
Team President

See ya pal, you just helped to prove my point. Go watch the episode of America's Game that I referenced and tell me how proud you are of your Raider Nation.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #16
rbryan
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

Al Davis is a HUGE part of why you have the NFL as it is today... like him or not.

The Raider Nation, of which I am part of, is not by a long shot comprised of scumbags, as you so eloquently put it.

I will apologize to most of you now, since I will probably get banned after this. Its been a pleasure to talk with some of you about the old days and the Raiders, Steelers rivalry. I've enjoyed my time here... sorry it had to end this way, but I will not stand by and take that kind of crap... as I doubt most of you would take that kind of talk about your team, owner and fans either.

You must be talking about the way the NFL is in Cincinnati.

Last edited by fansince'76; 06-06-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,398 Times in 3,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

Silver & Black - I assume from reading my prior posts you know I was not attcking the Raiders' franchise, players, or fans. As Dwight White said in grudging admiration about about the '70s Raiders on the '75 Steelers "America's Game" broadcast, "they were the closest thing to us."

However, with regard to Davis, he left Oakland for LA, sued the NFL for anti-trust violations, left LA for Oakland, has been shaking down the City of Oakland since he returned, and has driven a proud franchise into the ground because he is still micro-managing the team and driving away any potentially good coach because the Raiders HC job is toxic. He will screw anyone to advance his own interests, including the best interests of his own franchise and its fans if it feeds his senile ego. So I stand by those remarks - Al Davis made his last positive contribution to the NFL about 25 years ago and a lot of neagtive ones since then.

And as far as Davis being Upshaw's role model, since Davis ran everything when Upshaw played there who else would you expect Upshaw to have learned from?

Last edited by fansince'76; 06-06-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,371 Times in 4,307 Posts

well i hope S & B isnt banned. im sure even rbryan can see he isnt one of the "majority" he quoted as scumbags. silver & black has been one of the most respectful opposing teams fans we have here, who doesnt come here to bash or give his opinions of the steelers, but to generally talk nfl football with some of the best most knowldegable fans.

i actually started a thread on the 76 americas team (its midway down the 1st page in the nfl forum). i thought it was great, and enjoyed talking and hearing about the old rivalry. sure the raiders cheated like hell, but it was the only chance to get by the greatest team of all time. i guess the stick um and casts were no different than o- linemen juicing.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #19
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Hey! I'm the one who's suppossed to make the outrageous statements and call people names. Don't steal my thing man!

But being serious for a second, I hate John Madden. I hate him even more because every time he does a Steelers game he mentions the Immaculate Reception. I wish the 3 brain cells he has left would have a meeting and agree to let it go already.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
well i hope S & B isnt banned. im sure even rbryan can see he isnt one of the "majority" he quoted as scumbags. silver & black has been one of the most respectful opposing teams fans we have here, who doesnt come here to bash or give his opinions of the steelers, but to generally talk nfl football with some of the best most knowldegable fans.

i actually started a thread on the 76 americas team (its midway down the 1st page in the nfl forum). i thought it was great, and enjoyed talking and hearing about the old rivalry. sure the raiders cheated like hell, but it was the only chance to get by the greatest team of all time. i guess the stick um and casts were no different than o- linemen juicing.
I'll second that (e)motion LOL

S&B is a genuine good guy and I PM'ed him let him know he's a welcome part of this forum (certainly from my point of view and probably alot of people's)

Its a thin line sometimes when you see a whole fanbase called out as 'scumbags' or whatever to not take it a little personally - especially if you the only guy from that teams fanbase on the forum.

I imagine he'll have a little medicine to take for the outburst but hopefully we'll get to see him round these parts in time for the new season (come on already!)
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote