Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: From Cinci: this week the winner is.......Odell Thurman!!!

IMO, it starts with upper management and down to the coaching staff. Whether people want to believe it or not, you can only say so much to a person. If they "get it" and take your advice, then it's a success.

I'm sure Carson Palmer has talked to these guys before, but he's not a babysitter nor an AA buddy. He can't hold their hands for them before they cross the road. I'm not exactly sure what else the guy can do. Palmer was one of the few (I believe the only one) to publicly come out and state that this type of B.S. has to stop. It's time for upper management to make some tough decisions and take control of this situation.

If that organization is expecting one man (Palmer) to magically cure that thug riddened team, good luck. It's going to take more than Carson Palmer.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

What Palmer said is true thoug,there is only so much you can say to someone.It's not up to Palmer to change these guys,it's up to the individuals.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #13
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

How many arrests is this? I LOST COUNT!!!!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

I'm sure Carson Palmer has talked to these guys before, but he's not a babysitter nor an AA buddy. He can't hold their hands for them before they cross the road. I'm not exactly sure what else the guy can do.
they are his teammates. he can start by either shutting up, or not presenting such a "holier than thou, im done trying" attitude. what he is saying comes across like eli manning and his teammates throwing their hands in the air anytime something goes wrong.

as bad as plexico may have been, big ben had his back till the end. as strained as ben may have been with cowher or whiz, he was the 1st one to lobby for their return. as immature as ben mightve been for riding w/o a helmet, he never threw his teammates under the bus and said "i give up".

i see tons of talent out of carson, but i dont see the leadership. thats more of an indictment of the bengals organization than it is of him though. they havent exactly taught him how to lead, or even provided him anyone worth leading.

and really, going by carsons comments im not so sure he has seriously talked to any of these guys about their off the field behavior other than bitching and moaning, and crying "now i cant win a championship". his words tell me he doesnt think he needs to tell them anything in the 1st place, anyways.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:12 AM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

PFW had a nice take on the latest Bengals strategy for dealing with its law breaking players.

Quote:
We've seen some creative strategies over the past few months from teams who want to disown players who have gotten in trouble with the law. The Saints tried to pretend that they'd cut practice-squad linebacker E.J. Kuale long before he was busted on weapons and drug charges. The Steelers cut linebacker Richard Seigler after they found out that a warrant had been issued for his arrest on charges that he's a pimp, but before the warrant was actually served.

The Bengals are now attempting to try out a new approach, in light of the accusations directed at linebacker Odell Thurman. Faced with the possibility that a warrant for his arrest will be issued following a Friday hearing regarding an alleged assault, the Bengals are already taking the position that Thurman isn't really on the team.

"His situation is controlled by the league, he's not officially on our roster," team spokesman Jack Brennan told the AP. "Since his possible reinstatement is in the league's hands, we would defer any comment to the league."

Oh, but he is. He's not on the active roster. But the Bengals still hold his rights as a member of the team's reserve/suspended list. If/when he's reinstated following a minimum banishment of one year for violation of the substance-abuse policy, he'll be back on the team.
I think the criticism of Carson Palmer, for the most part, is unwarranted - I regard Brady to be an excellent team leader - but without meaningful backing from the HC I don't see what he would have done differently in this situation.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #16
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

As much as I can't stand Carson Palmer, he's right. You can only say so much. He's not a babysitter to the other players. It's up to the individuals to clean themselves up. That all starts with accountablity and punishment, which is what the Bengals organization failed to do with these guys. The magificent front office as well as Mushmouth Marlew have done nothing but poor attempts at damage control and make excuses for these players.

It also doesn't help that the Bungle fans are as dumb as they are and continue to defend this garbage(See Chris Henry).
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:01 AM   #17
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
It also doesn't help that the Bungle fans are as dumb as they are and continue to defend this garbage(See Chris Henry).
Just scope out any Bungles forum and read all about the "Odell's being set up" theories......

It's more entertaining than a comic book.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #18
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
I wonder who or what marv's going to blame this one on.
Obviously the cops in Monticello Ga.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #19
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,313 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
and really, going by carsons comments im not so sure he has seriously talked to any of these guys about their off the field behavior other than bitching and moaning, and crying "now i cant win a championship". his words tell me he doesnt think he needs to tell them anything in the 1st place, anyways.
Although I can see where 83's coming from as well, this was also how I interpreted what he said, Tony - that he really didn't try to talk to them at all.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #20
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Nothing like a hearty laugh first thing in the morning.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote