Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942
Default Re: Column: Time To Modernize Steelers' Offense

This article pretty much nails it right on the head. We drafted Ben in hopes of him becoming an elite QB. This coaching staff will give him that oppurtunity, whereas Cowher's staff might have held him back a bit.

Holmes hands/speed/playmaking ability would have gone completely to waste. This guy is going to be big time if used right. a perfect complement to Ward.

And miller, it seems like every time he touches the ball, good things happen. Am I alone on this? I remember watching his rookie season with maddox in the JAX game (i know, i know, one of the worst memories ever, rasheen mathis pick-six to end the game that dumb bumbling maddox), and i just thought, this guy is going to be special. His hands/size/strength ... this guy should be creating terrible mismatches that have D-coordinators up all night scratching their head and game planning for him. instead, it's Heath Miller the left tackle. ... he should have 10+ TD's and around 60 catches a year. He just wasn't utilized right.

As far as our o-line. Not really much we can do. I think we need to rework marvels contract, move him back to the right, draft our LT next year ... pick up a guard in round two. and we should be pretty much set.

... and good thing next years draft is loaded with top-end OL talent. but yeah, this article (minus his personal animosities towards cowher) hit the bullseye.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Mark Bruener, a talented tight end who was coached into mediocrity

I stopped taking him seriously after I read that.

I'll e-mail Mark Madden right now and tell him he's a fat piece of shit, but he'd probably eat the computer before he could read it.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
I think the majority of people here, myself included, love the tough Steelers 'smashmouth' style. The point to be made here is the fact of Cohwer not coaching to the players strengths, the square peg in the round hole discussion (or did you miss that part).
Yeah, and thats why I never raised the issue of 'square pegs in round holes' - because I agreed with it.

My point was that the accusation of Cowher sticking to the smashmouth game to stop a QB from grabbing all the limelight is a preposterous one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
That my friend is called 'puckering up' where I come from, or 'choking' or as the article pointed out 'being far to predictable'.

The article clearly is taking a shot at Cowher, but nevertheless brings up valid points that any Steelers fan would recognize.
Again, plenty of posters will testify that I have been critical of Cowhers in-game management - the only difference is that I did it while he was still coach.

As a fan of a team that won AFCCG's against Cowher due, in no small part, to Cowhers stubbornness and lack of ability to game plan on the fly its something that I also recognise.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts

Madden (who as an exercise in downward mobility is now writing for the Beaver Times after the P-G canned him after about a year as a columnist) has some points but it of course is in the context of "I never liked Cowher now that he is gone" mantra that is the flavor of 2007.

10 playoff appearances, 6 AFC championship game appearances, 2 SB appearances and 1 SB ring in 15 seasons is not Lombardi, Noll, Walsh, Gibbs, or the New England version of Belichick, but it is probably the second best coaching performance of the FA era (Jimmy Johnson won with pre-FA players).

With the exception of Gibbs, all of the above coaches had great QBs when they won SBs.
When coaches do not have great QBs (Shanahan w/o Elway, Noll w/o Bradshaw, Belichick w/o Brady) they lose about 25 points off their coaching IQ.

Cowher did not have a potentially great QB to coach until Ben arrived. He went 16-2 and won the SB in the 2 years he had a healthy Ben. If Ben had been healthy in 2006 I think you would have seen the offense open up like it did in the three AFC road playoff wins prior to SB XL. But of course Ben was not healthy until at least November (around the time they went 6-2 the second half of the year).

Cowher coached within the limits of the players he had and was very successful with it. It is hard to open it up with a journeyman under center. Playoff teams dared O'Donnell and Kordell to beat them and we know how that usually turned out.

Cowher clearly had his limitations but the law of averages says we probably will be wishing for those limitations and the agony of losing AFC championships as opposed to going 7-9 or calling a 1 and out playoff appearance a successful season in a few years.

Let's actually see a down played before we decide how lucky we are to have a new coaching staff.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,617 Posts

good points dan. while it sometimes does seem like cowher was fired it was a money issue, much like porter. i think cowher was a great coach, especially defensively. people like to talk about cowhers x's and o's (especially in the big game) but in 2001, the steelers had their best record 13-3 tops in the afc and a 3rd ranked offense and number 1 defense. this is with a banged up bettis who lead the league in rushing until the viking game and kordell stewart who finally had a qb coach in his 5 year career.

despite no running game and kordells 3 int's the steelers were easilly in place to go to the superbowl. 2 special team meltdowns prevented that.

last year ben had his best camp ever and the offensive playbook was going to be opened up. bens accident and wards hammy hurt alot. we still saw some great offensive plays and amazing passing against KC, and atlanta.

i cant blame cowher for being loyal, lenient, preferential to his veterans. most clubs would not have had jerome around once staley was signed. but this may have led to youngsters being brought along a little too slowly. in the end the talent may have started to outgrow cowhers conservative approach.

ive noted all the similarity in the past between santonio holmes and t. holt. i dont think holt would ever put up holt numbers in this offense. thats not too say it was a bad offense. it was a proven method to get a 10 pt. lead and sit on the ball. 100-1-1 going into last year. unfortunately w/o jerome we finally started losing those games last season. there were plenty of games where ben had 200 yds and 2 td's in the 1st half and jerome or duce had clean up duties.

willie shouldnt be asked to do that. heath is too good as a receiver to eventually be known as the best blocking TE in the game, and ben doesnt need to be just a game manager. if we get a 10 point lead, we need to turn it into a 17-20 point lead, get ben out of the game and put in the back up. getting that in game practice of putting the nail in the coffin early serves the young players well come playoff time. let them play!

oh, and i completely agree with litp. the cowher playing smashmouth to become a celebrity notion is completely bogus. he used what worked, maximized the talent we had, and gave the fans what they wanted. next year i think the fans want to see some offensive explosion. im not sure we wouldve gotten that without a change. however i have no doubt the arizona offense is going to be explosive with wiz there.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

What gets me is that every coach has their style. Doesn't matter where it is or what team he's on. The Big Tuna, Coughlin, Vermeil, Ditka, Gibbs, and on and on. However, no one wants to come out and make an article like this until the coach is gone.

I for one was thankful for Cowher. He was a great coach. Yes he could have done more but we as Steelers fans knew what he was going to do and we loved then and we love it now. Cowher made one mistake in his career as the HC of the Steelers, he came back for an 8-8 campaign after winning the Super Bowl. Is it a curse of all Steelers HC that when they are about to retire they come back for a mediocre season to give the next coach a better chance at looking better (Noll went 9-7 in his final season before Cowher took the reigns and we all know how Cowher did before Tomlin took the reigns). Cowher and Tomlin both have to do better than their predecessor but with a mediocre season, is it that difficult?

Personally, I think if the HC and all the players get along, then something is wrong. Let's face it, with 15 years in the league, Cowher was bound to upset, offend, annoy, or piss one player or another off. Heck he even made one player cry on the sidelines. And although the Head coach is ultimately responsible for the team's direction, the coordinators are also responsible for the plays that are called. And the players are responsible for executing them to the best of their abilities every down!!! So before blaming Cowher, ask yourself, "Did I give 100% on every down?"

So if a few players had issues with the way Cowher ran things, I think that's ok. If they want to reference it now..that's ok too but I wish they would have done it like a man - Face to Face, before he left.

But when it's all said and done there's a few things we should all remember:
1. Cowher brought us ring #5
2. Cowher is no longer our head coach
3. Tomlin is our new leader
4. Tomlin will change things just like Cowher did
5. Tomlin won't get along with all the players either
6. Forget the past, look forward to the future -
Rings 6-7-8-9-10

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #17
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
No. Smashmouth football wins championships. If Madden thinks that Ben is on the level of Manning or Brady, he should be tested for drugs. The team was built to run a certain style of offense. Besides, anyone who's played the game knows that players who chase individual glory often end up hurting their teams.

Like I said, Madden is just another pathetic wannabe piece of trash who talks about people when they're not around to defend themselves. His article has no valid points and should be filed under fat piece of trash hates more succesful people.
YOU ARE WRONG!!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #18
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
YOU ARE WRONG!!!!
Thank you for the clever and insightful bit of posting. My life is much richer because of your wit and intelligence. I'm sure your parents are very proud.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #19
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
when it's all said and done there's a few things we should all remember:
1. Cowher brought us ring #5
2. Cowher is no longer our head coach
3. Tomlin is our new leader
4. Tomlin will change things just like Cowher did
5. Tomlin won't get along with all the players either
6. Forget the past, look forward to the future -
Rings 6-7-8-9-10
AGREED
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #20
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

There's an old addage that "even a broken clock is right twice a day" and I think that's the case here. Hidden amongst the are a few accurate statements but even those statements aren't exactly revolutionary! I've actually read much better analysis from some of the folks on this forum.

There is one comment I can't let slide. The assertion that Cowher made decisions to make himself the most important are just silly and offensive. Since when are fundamentals and teamwork bad things? We won a ton of games playing Bill Cowher's version of smashmouth football. If you don't have solid fundamentals and don't play as a team, you've got nothing.

Personally, I'm glad they are opening up the playbook and stretching the boundaries of Steeler football but when it is all said and done, we are going to win most of our games with tough D and controlling the ball with the run.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote