Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 06-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901
Default Dumas(s) Article

This guy is a ****ing idiot. Has to be the article with the least amount of logic i've ever seen.

http://www.411mania.com/sports/nfl/5...in-the-NFL.htm

Lets look at this moron's "journalism"

Quote:
I know the NFL and its fans love scoring. I know they love Pro Bowlers and flashy offenses, too. So when the San Diego Chargers stormed through the regular season like a Gulf Coast hurricane in 2006, many people were ready to hand them the Lombardi Trophy in December.

Scoring, Pro Bowlers, and a flashy offense. Off to a good start on calling the Chargers the worst franchise

What people seem to forget, and what I am more than happy to remind them of, is that the Chargers are the worst franchise in the NFL.

How can I say that about a team that finished 14-3 and sent half their team to Hawaii? Let me explain?.

Again, love the argument

Sure, the Chargers finished the regular season with the best record in the NFL and earned the number one seed in the AFC. What did that get them? A date with the perennial Super Bowl contending New England Patriots.

The Pats proceeded to teach the new kids on the playoff block a lesson or two about winning in this league. So much for having the best record. All that meant was that the Chargers would have the lowest draft pick of any team that did not make the Super Bowl.

Now, since we're talking about the draft, lets talk about the man in San Diego calling the shots, General Manager A.J. Smith.

Do tell

Smith has made some decent moves in San Diego, all of them by default. All we keep hearing about is this draft-day genius in America's Finest City making all the right moves. Smith deserves no credit for the talent assembled in San Diego because he had no choice.

With the number one overall pick in the 2004 draft, the Chargers picked Eli Manning. Prior to the draft, Eli and his father, Archie, made it known that Eli would not play for San Diego.

Ok, moron. Let's think for a second. PRIOR to the darft, AJ knew that Eli wouldn't play for him. So why draft him? Hmmm MAYBE TO GET THE ****ING DRAFT PICKS AND THE QB HE WANTED?

Had Eli Manning been like the rest of us, he would have gladly played for any NFL team. But alas, he is a spoiled brat with the football genes that allowed him to dictate which team he was going to play for.

So, if Eli had been a man on draft day, he would be a San Diego Charger rather than a New York Giant.

The Chargers were fortunate that the Giants organization was willing to sacrifice their future to have a quarterback with the name ?Manning' on his jersey. Unfortunately for New York, it was the wrong Manning.

Along with quarterback Philip Rivers in that same draft, the Chargers received multiple draft picks from New York, which they spent on kicker Nate Kaeding in '04 (a playoff choke artist) and Shawne Merriman in '05 (a proven cheater). Not exactly reliable teammates. But lets look back even further and really analyze Smith's picks.

Nice to leave out the fact that all three are pro bowlers. And Manning has done what exactly? Please, continue

In his very first draft in 2003, Smith chose cornerback Sammy Davis in the first round. I know, I know?who is Sammy Davis. Ten points to anyone who knows what college he attended. After the 2004 and 2005 gift-wrapped drafts for which Eli Manning deserves credit, there was the 2006 draft.

In the first round of that draft, Smith picked Antonio Cromartie, a little known cornerback from Florida State who started one game in college and was coming off a devastating injury.

In the 2007 draft, Smith chose LSU wide receiver Craig Davis in the first round. Davis wasn't even the go-to-guy at LSU; he was third on the team in catches and only had 7 touchdown receptions. No, not seven last year, 7 in his entire collegiate career! That doesn't sound like first round talent to me.

Ya, lets just draft based on his stats. That worked out great with Ryan Leaf!

It seems A.J. Smith should consult Gambler's Anonymous before drafting.

In addition to drafting questionable players, the Charger organization has another problem when it comes to draft picks?they never sign them on time.

As far back as I care to remember, the Chargers have had a hard time signing their picks. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson wasn't in camp on time because a deal couldn't be reached. Philip Rivers missed time, cornerbacks Quentin Jammer, Sammy Davis and Antonio Cromartie missed time, Merriman missed time; the list goes on and on.

Again, left out the fact that almost all of those are pro bowlers now

How do the Chargers expect their young players to contribute when they constantly try to pay them less than market value? Its no wonder Eli Manning didn't want to waste his time trying to work out a contract with the Chargers, he might still be in negotiation.

For further proof that this organization is not committed to winning, lets look at their handling of their coaching situation this offseason.

While promising coaches were being pursued by other teams, A.J. Smith sat around contemplating what to do with his underachieving head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

His highly-touted offensive coordinator took the head job in Miami, his defensive coordinator Wade Phillips went to Dallas. Ken Whisenhunt went to Arizona, Mike Tomlin went to Pittsburgh and Bobby Petrino took the head gig in Atlanta.
I'm sure all these coaches would have gladly taken the job in San Diego because of the talent already assembled there. Smith, however, waited too long to make the job available.

Just how many disappointing seasons did Schottenheimer have to lead the team through before Smith pulled the plug? Dumping "Martyball" seemed obvious. Smith's indecisiveness forced the Chargers to settle for Norv Turner, who is still earning a living on what he did as offensive coordinator for the Cowboys in the mid-90's.

Turned around a losing franchise into a perrenial winner. What a loser that Marty Schottenheimer is. Even if he is the biggest choking coach in the NFL, he still turned the Chargers attitude around

Since calling the plays for an offense with at least four Hall of Famers, Turner has done nothing but fail when given the big desk in the NFL. He was a loser in Washington and a loser in Oakland.

The fact that he designed this whole offense i'm sure means nothing, but please, continue

Contrary to Turner supporters, those two teams did have talent. All NFL teams have talent. Of course some have more than others, but any team can beat another on any given Sunday. It's the coaches that determine whether or not a team is consistent. The only thing consistent about Norv Turner teams in their sub-.500 records.

Yes, the Raiders had a ton of talent. That team that went 2-14 after Norv left? Right.
I don't feel like doing the rest, but you get the idea. This guy is talking out of his ass the whole time. What a ****ing idiot.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Dumas(s) Article

Great article for a good laugh. This guy sounds like a bagpipe....full of air and makes a lot of noise when you squeeze it (LOL)...

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

A few of us had a laugh at that article over on the Patriots forum!

Amongst the crazy ranting there were a few decent points.

1. The would have drafted Eli Manning if the Giants hadn't offered a Kings Ransom for him.

2. The indecision over the HC position cost the Chargers the chance to make a play for one of the better candidates available.

Yeah, actually thats about it

The rants about the Cards and Lions being better franchises is laughable - at least San Diego has a solid talent base that has youth on its side.

I guess this is another article that is meant to polarise opinion and help Mr Dumas make a name for himself on the San Diego sportswriting scene.

San Diego will probably have to win the big show (or at least win a postseason game) before they lose the 'choker' tag.

The coaching is a great unknown but the level of talent unquestioned - an early prediction though - Merriman gets 7 sacks or less this year.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

I got a kick out of it. This guy did his homework.

You know I'm just playin with ya boLT.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

As many of you probably know by now, I am a journalsim student and I honestly think this has to be written as a joke. While a few of the minor, minor points have some type of bases - and the fact that I like his opinion on A.J. Smith - this guy is a joke. I only read about half of that quote but that's all I need to read. If that is the kind of writing that can get you a job in the industry, I would love to know where this guy works.

EDIT: Anyone wanna drop this guy some comments? I just finished :)

dmdumas@gmail.com

Last edited by ShutDown24; 06-07-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Needed to add commentary and didn't wanna double post
ShutDown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

When I think of bad teams, I think of Detroit, even tho they made the playoffs 6 times in the 90s, there a joke. Are Browns who when they just start to build a team that is a contender they sell them, and not to mention the fact they were sold out 17 years straight. Then the Browns turn around and start all over again.

Article was funny is all I have to say about it.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
I got a kick out of it. This guy did his homework.

You know I'm just playin with ya boLT.
I bet most of his sources were Raider websites
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
I bet most of his sources were Raider websites
I wouldn't doubt it!