Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default McNairs DUI troubles - sweep 'em under the rug

Are you kidding me, just another NFL player trying to avoid the consequences of his actions (or lack there of), and instead offers a plea bargain to the DA. If it was me, the DA would be wanting to make an example of my error in judgment.

http://nfl.com/teams/story/BAL/10203610

Quote:
Ravens QB McNair's DUI case reset for July 10

NFL.com wire reports

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (May 30, 2007) -- Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair faces a July 10 court date on a driving under the influence charge.

The quarterback was not in court when the new date was set in an agreement between prosecutors and lawyers.

"He wanted this resolved," said McNair's lawyer, Roger May.

Ryan said there is an offer to prosecutors to settle the case without going to court. He would not discuss the offer and said the district attorney wanted more time to consider it.

McNair, a former Tennessee Titan, was charged May 10 after his brother-in-law, Jamie Cartwright, was pulled over in Nashville driving McNair's pickup truck with McNair inside. Cartwright appeared briefly in court.

Under Tennessee law, the owner of the vehicle can also be charged with DUI if he knowingly permits its operation by a driver under the influence.

McNair was also arrested on DUI charges in Nashville in May 2003, when he was also charged with illegal gun possession. After a year of legal wrangling, a judge dismissed those charges, ruling police didn't have sufficient reason to pull over McNair.
What does it take for the local governments to get these guys under control? I can picture a judge now in dealing with a star studded athlete. Oh, hey Steve, how you doing? Do you know why you are here today? Yeah you were accussed of swerving between lanes and you had a gun too...I'll tell you what why don't you give me your autograph and some free tickets and we'll call it even.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,763 Times in 2,933 Posts
Default Re: McNairs DUI troubles - sweep 'em under the rug

the criminal justice system is so backloaded with cases like these. the d.a.'s and even defense attny's love nothing more than to be able to simply plead them out. i could just as easilly plead out to the same punishment mcnair will get. if the prosecutors pushed his case any harder to trial, than they would mine, it would actually be unfair to him.

joey porter plead "no contest" = no trial = no waste of taxpayers dollars. a nobody like me would have the exact opportunity to do the same.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the criminal justice system is so backloaded with cases like these. the d.a.'s and even defense attny's love nothing more than to be able to simply plead them out. i could just as easilly plead out to the same punishment mcnair will get. if the prosecutors pushed his case any harder to trial, than they would mine, it would actually be unfair to him.

joey porter plead "no contest" = no trial = no waste of taxpayers dollars. a nobody like me would have the exact opportunity to do the same.

I can understand the first one and all that but if it becomes multiple. When does enough become enough. I mean not that McNair is a bungle but how many arrests does it take to put someone behind bars (if only for a few months or years).

I relate it to raising children. We show them mercy and grace from time to time but if they keep making the same decisions and getting in trouble, they've eventually got to face consequences.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,763 Times in 2,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I can understand the first one and all that but if it becomes multiple. When does enough become enough. I mean not that McNair is a bungle but how many arrests does it take to put someone behind bars (if only for a few months or years).

I relate it to raising children. We show them mercy and grace from time to time but if they keep making the same decisions and getting in trouble, they've eventually got to face consequences.
so, in this case, should we give mcnair a more severe punishment than what you or i would get, just because he is a rich athelete?

in a way, i almost give him credit for atleast not getting behind the wheel himself. that atleast shows the conscience to do the "right thing" was there.

i will say tennessees dui laws seem a hell of alot harsher than new mexicos.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so, in this case, should we give mcnair a more severe punishment than what you or i would get, just because he is a rich athelete?

in a way, i almost give him credit for atleast not getting behind the wheel himself. that atleast shows the conscience to do the "right thing" was there.

i will say tennessees dui laws seem a hell of alot harsher than new mexicos.
I'm not saying he should receive a more severe punishment but anyone that makes the same "dumb" mistake over and over should have to pay some consequence.

And the whole not getting behind the wheel would haven gotten him credit if the guy he gave the keys to wasn't drunk also.

I for one am in favor of harsher drunk driving laws. Personally I like some of the European countries laws. I believe it's in Spain (but I could be wrong and need to research it to be 100% sure) that has the law that if you are caught once, your license is pulled on the spot and you lose it for life. Now that seems a bit harsh the first time around but I'm definitely in favor of 1st time offenders being given a second chance but the second time, you've got to have some sort of system in place that people do realize how "dumb" something is and if it involves jail time or losing your license - then so be it.

I'm willing to bet if our DD laws were stiffer, less people would do it or eventually there wouldn't be as many drivers on the road and many more people on the bus or mass transit system.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I thought McNair had more class then that.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

No surprise here......
Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Check all them judges back yards.. I bet they all have nice new pools, new car from all the NFL Players contributing to there cause of catch and release like fishing.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Judge handling anklebiters cases;

Judge handling mcnair;

ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote