Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Sheffield: Open Mouth, Insert Foot.

Quote:
"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.
Such an eloquent statement coming from an obvious master of the English language himself.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

'Reverend' Al spotting. He's too busy jumping on the Paris Hilton debate. Go figure.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Open mouth, insert foot once again. Can't wait to hear the excuse making for him this time around.

You stay classy Gary.....

Sheffield calls out Torre, Jeter, Bonds in HBO interview
ESPN.com news services

Gary Sheffield has strong words about New York Yankees manager Joe Torre, former Yankees teammate Derek Jeter, San Francisco slugger Barry Bonds and steroids in an interview with HBO's "Real Sports" that will air next Tuesday.

Sheffield says Torre treats black players differently from white players and says Jeter, who is from a mixed-race marriage, "ain't all the way black," during the interview with Andrea Kremer, as reported by Newsday.

As for Bonds, Sheffield says "if I took what Barry Bonds took, why don't I look like him?" He also says that he never took steroids because "the bottom line is steroids is something you stick in your butt -- period."

He added that he would be willing to talk to baseball's steroids investigator, former Senator George Mitchell. "I don't feel like it's all that much of a threat to me," he said.

A copy of the interview was made available to Newsday, the newspaper reported. The show airs for the first time on Tuesday at 10 p.m. ET.

Sheffield, who was traded to the Detroit Tigers during the offseason, claimed that a "couple of blacks that were there" had an issue with Torre.

"They weren't treated like everybody else. I got called out in a couple of meetings that I thought were unfair," Sheffield told Kremer.

Sheffield later added: "He had a message to get across to the whole team, so he used me to get the message across." Sheffield said Torre didn't use the same method with white players.

"No ... I'd see a lot of white players get called in the office and treated like a man. That's the difference."

Sheffield said he doesn't consider Torre a racist. "No. I think it's the way they do things around there," he said. "Since I was there I just saw that they run their ship different."

At that point, Kremer says to Sheffield that the Yankees most high-profile player is black. "Who?" Sheffield says.

Told Jeter, Sheffield says: "Derek Jeter is black and white."

Later, he said there was no real significance to Jeter's bi-racial heritage, but added: "Derek Jeter used to come to me and try to tell you what Joe Torre is all about, he's a good man, he's this, he's that, but like I tell Derek Jeter, that's you. It's one thing that they treat you a certain way; you don't feel what other people feel."

Torre, asked about Sheffield's comments prior to Friday night's game in Tampa Bay, said: "I don't even want to answer those kinds of questions. I'm more comfortable not answering."

As for Bonds, a former workout partner and friend of Sheffield's, the Tigers' outfielder says Bonds scoffed at him when he was using vitamins. Sheffield says he then got substances from BALCO, claiming not to know they were steroids.

"In a million years, I don't care what anybody says, steroids is something you shoot in your butt. I do know that ... The bottom line is steroids is something you stick in your butt -- period."

Sheffield allegedly told a grand jury that he used steroid cream on his legs and "clear" under his tongue, but didn't know they were steroids.

He said his relationship with Bonds deteriorated because of a lack of trust.

"I trusted this man, he allowed me to stay in his house," Sheffield says. "I started seeing the control factor. I started seeing, wait a minute, you aren't going to tell me what to do."

Sheffield reportedly began the interview by saying: "I tell myself every offseason I'm not going to say anything crazy. I'm just going to have a peaceful season ... Can't do it. I'm cut from a different cloth."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2935737
Old 07-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #14
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I can't say I'm surprised with the attitude he has.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

sometimes certain people need to keep their opinions to theirself. however, as long as he puts up good numbers and plays well Mr. I isnt going to do anything about him. the people in detroit will over look it.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I can't say I'm surprised with the attitude he has.
That's nice how he can simply come out in the media and accuse a man of being a racist in front of the whole country. I wonder if Jeter would agree? Or is Jeter too white to agree with Mr. Sheffield?

What an a-hole. First he jumps on hispanics and now he's accusing one of the most respected managers in MLB of being a racist. Like I said though, there will always be morons out there who will simply push this under the carpet and make excuses for the guy. Amazing, pathetic and sad all at the same time.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Sheff needs to shut his mouth. The reason that he thinks Torre is racist because the Yankees orgainization doesn't put up with certain types of players. The Yankees are all about proffesionalism and Sheffield rarely acts like a proffesional ex. his comments above. As for the Bonds sitiuation I am not defending the man but it has never been proved that he has taken steroids and if he did isn't there some sort of unwritten rule about selling out fellow players???

I'm also tired of Sheffield bringing race into every interview. Gary if you dont want racism to be an issue then dont make it one.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #18
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Like I said though, there will always be morons out there who will simply push this under the carpet and make excuses for the guy. Amazing, pathetic and sad all at the same time.
I am not making excuses for the guy, b/c i have never liked him. but i do live in the detroit area and they didnt make a big issue about his comments about latin player, which is why i dont think they will make a big issue of the latest comments.

i just wanted to make sure you didnt think i was making excuses for him.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
Gary if you dont want racism to be an issue then dont make it one.
But, but, but he "can't do it". He's "cut from a different cloth".

My only question, would that be the same cloth jerkoff John Rocker was cut from?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #20
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
I am not making excuses for the guy, b/c i have never liked him. but i do live in the detroit area and they didnt make a big issue about his comments about latin player, which is why i dont think they will make a big issue of the latest comments.

i just wanted to make sure you didnt think i was making excuses for him.
First off, I'm not just talking about the people in the Detroit area. I wouldn't exactly expect an uproar in the hometown he's playing in.

Second, I never said you were.