Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Culpepper Leaves Practice with Dolphins Security in Tow

Mind you, the Steelers are a "mess:"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2897741

Culpepper leaves practice field accompanied by security
Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. -- Daunte Culpepper is still with the Miami Dolphins. For now, anyway.

Culpepper was on the Dolphins' practice field for the start of a weekend minicamp Friday, one day after asking for his release and two days after Miami completed a trade with Kansas City for Trent Green -- who's taking over at quarterback.

Culpepper left the field and headed into the Dolphins training facility about halfway through the scheduled practice. He walked off the field with a member of the Dolphins security staff. The team did not give an immediate explanation.

Culpepper -- like the other four quarterbacks on the roster -- wore a red jersey, indicating he was not to get hit in any drills. He, Green, Cleo Lemon, John Beck and Gibran Hamdan all warmed up together, lofting easy passes to a few receivers.

But when the team gathered for stretching about 15 minutes into practice, Culpepper remained to the side and did agility drills with a member of the Dolphins' staff. He rejoined the offense after the stretching portion.

Even then, though, he was basically a spectator. While Beck, Green and Lemon took snaps during a drill, Culpepper stayed near a sideline and jogged with receivers.

The Dolphins want to trade Culpepper, telling him so Wednesday just before completing the Green trade and essentially giving last year's marquee quarterback acquisition notice that his time in South Florida was ending. But Culpepper, who is his own agent, wants to choose his next destination himself.

Culpepper suffered a serious right knee injury in 2005, was traded by the Minnesota Vikings to Miami for a second-round pick that offseason and surprised many by being the Dolphins' starting quarterback for the first four weeks of the 2006 campaign. He was hampered by knee problems, was sacked 21 times in those four games and ultimately was shut down for the remainder of the year.

He was cleared to resume practice this week, after missing most of the Dolphins' offseason sessions because of continued knee rehabilitation.

Green was on the field with his new team for the first time. He wanted out of Kansas City because he felt the Chiefs wouldn't give him a fair chance to beat Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard for the starting QB job there this year, and worked out a contract with Miami several weeks ago.

It took more than two months for the Dolphins and Chiefs to agree on terms. Kansas City eventually settled for a fifth-round pick in exchange for Green, and could wind up with Miami's fourth-rounder selection in 2008 depending on how the 36-year-old quarterback fares this season.

Culpepper is owed $5.5 million for this coming season.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Culpepper Leaves Practice with Dolphins Security in Tow

Wow.

But who am I to make of them? The Steelers have a real "mess" up here. Isn't that right, Mr. Taylor?

Sorry, I have a hard time letting this go. What a hypocritical statement by a player who just couldn't mind his own damn business.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: Culpepper Leaves Practice with Dolphins Security in Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Wow.

But who am I to make of them? The Steelers have a real "mess" up here. Isn't that right, Mr. Taylor?

Sorry, I have a hard time letting this go. What a hypocritical statement by a player who just couldn't mind his own damn business.
" But who am I to make of them? The Steelers have a real "mess" up here. Isnt that right mr. Taylor?
Where does this come into this article or am I missing something here right now?
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,065 Posts
Default D. Culpepper to the Patriots?

why not? (selling playbooks is a good business... just ask brian st. pierre)
Old 06-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836
Default Re: D. Culpepper to the Patriots?

I just heard a rumor that he was traded to the Jags. Cammeron won't say anything because things are still in the works and doesn't want to jeopardize the deal.

It was posted in the NFL forum on RF.net. Thats all I know.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

But who would want the Dolphs' playbook?

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post

Tom
The Patriots.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post

Tom

nice nugget S & B. speculation has been him being a good fit with the jags cause in leftwich's last year of his rookie contract, 'pep' will either be great insurance of him leaving, or a good barganing chip to keep him.

this is way out in the future and premature, but if leftwhich does leave as a free agent, remember how bad billick wanted him as a raven? successor to mcnair?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

nice nugget S & B. speculation has been him being a good fit with the jags cause in leftwich's last year of his rookie contract, 'pep' will either be great insurance of him leaving, or a good barganing chip to keep him.

this is way out in the future and premature, but if leftwhich does leave as a free agent, remember how bad billick wanted him as a raven? successor to mcnair?
Culpepper is washed up my friend. He might have one good year life, otherwise, he's washed up.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

That would be sad.

As much as I disbelieve he is a top QB...

he always seems to be on the winning side against us. I hope it is just team dynamics.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote