Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348
Default Why are the Bengals more highly regarded than the Steelers?

As I have looked at preseason mags all of them pick the Steelers to be 3rd behind the Ravens and the Bengals. I can understand the Ravens, but the Bengals I cannot.

First off the Bengals had the same record last year as the Steelers and have had so many arrests and probably more to come. The Bengals defense isn't all too special while the Steelers defense is very good. I can't stand the fascination of Carson Palmer. Many have him above Ben but Ben has been in more playoff appearences and a Super Bowl ring. Ben had one bad year because of unfortuante circumstances.

The Steelers missed the playoffs last year because of stupid mistakes, Ben with all the crap happened to him, and Cowher not having as much as passion and will to win has he had before. The Bengals missed the playoffs because they didn't perform as well as they usually had.

I can understand why people think the Steelers will miss the playoffs this year, but to put the Bengals over the Steelers, IMO is wrong.

Anyone else feel this way?
Old 06-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Why are the Bengals more highly regarded than the Steelers?

I can't understand it either. their defense sucks, they have good receivers and a good QB, but that's it, that's not a better team than the steelers. But we'll shut up everyone that puts us behind them by winning the AFC North.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

I would not pay to much attention to it. Most are looking at the overhaul were going threw. Some look at the problems we had this last season and with the new coaches can we bounce back strong. So they play it safe with who they pick to finish were. Which keeps us under the radar to knock the Bengals out again. Ravens do not bother me and if we fix are O line, and Big Ben returns to form we will win both games easily. We can easily win the division if the pieces of the puzzle are put together right.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

I don't think this way, but maybe just maybe on PAPER the Bengals appear to have more big play makers in key skill positions mainly these three on offense

Carson vs Ben
Chad vs Hines
TJ vs Santonio

I think most would give the Steelers the edge on defense as a unit, but the perceived weakness of the Steelers (at the CB position) plays right into the hands of the Cincy strength (passing attack) which ON PAPER gives Cincy the slight edge.

The reality of this is that the Steelers need to and will put more pressure on the QB from the front seven alieviating the pressure on the CBs to be the primary force against the Cincy passing attack. This will diminsh the effectiveness of Carson et al pushing Cincy to rely more on the run. Good luck with that. Rudi is a good back but he's had limited to no success against the Steelers.

I agree with you that the assessment of the Bengals is inflated. If the Steelers improve in the areas they've targeted on defense, this should be the year we put the Bengals back in their rightful place (behind us).
Old 06-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Here are just a few thoughts:
  • The Bengals are sexier (high-powered offense)
  • The Bengals have a pro bowl QB
  • The Steelers QB struggled greatly last season
  • The Steelers are going through a lot of coaching changes and adjustments
  • The Steelers lost their franchise player on defense
Old 06-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

carson is regerded as brady or manning. unfortunately him and chad are a 2 man show and they cant overcome the crappy coaching or the fact that they play for the most bungled owners in football. how the hell else can the "manning like" palmer have record only 3 games above .500.

these prognosticators dont realize that not even brady could save the bungles, even theyre married to the idea that palmer will.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
I have 3 arguements on that.

1. Ben's unfortuante circumstances last year: motorcycle accident, apadectamy, 2 concussions. Take those away and Ben is his old self.

2. Yes they are going through coaching changes, but I and many others have faith in the Steelers organzation with the hiring of the 2 other head coaches the Steelers had.

3. Trust me we have other franchise players on this defense. Casey Hampton, and Troy Polalmalu for example.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Hit it right on the head, CantStop.

Especially the first one. Those things mean nothing. Everyone who picks up one of those magazines has a gripe about something. Fans know. A few words on paper quickly disappear on the first snap of the season.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers123 View Post
The Bengals missed the playoffs because they didn't perform as well as they usually had.
No - the Bungles missed the playoffs last year because they proved what most of us already know...........

You can't put silk socks on a hog. Pro Bowl QB or not - same old Bungles.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 06-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

good points. the media buys into all this hype:
Quote:
*what does a high powered offense have to do with a team game? the rams had a high powered offense but the patriots beat them. the cardinals have a high powered offense. it simply doesnt make a team better. the media ignores history though.

*brett farve is a pro bowl, all pro, 3Xmvp, superbowl winning qb. nobodys saying about green bay, what is constantly said about the unproven bungles. the media does buy into carsons pro bowl mvp trophy.

*dont bunglefans and the media blame carsons struggles on his knee? shit happens. the media also acts like ben is 37 years old and the team needs to replace someone who is clearly on their downside.

*bungles need to go through a bunch of coaching changes and adjustments. its no secret most bunglefans think breshnihan and bratkowski suck and couldnt coach their way out of a wet paper bag. with all the so called "talent" shouldnt they be 15-1 every season? the media looks past this because lewis is not mike shula.

*bungles lost their "franchise players" on defense. thurman, pollock, adams, james, simmons. i know, thats a sucky collection of defenders but it was the best they got. we lost our loudest and most outspoken member of the defens but anyone who knows the game knows our defense is built around hampton and polamalu. thats why hampton didnt even have to ask for a contract extension, he was just given one. since the media doesnt recognice anyone on the bengals defense who isnt above 375 pounds, they really have no one to lose.