Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default "Moss" collecting on Randy's legs?

Seems like a whole lot of fuss from a hometown paper, but I thought it was worth putting up. Kind of long.

Quote:
Moss’ growth minimal: First camp looks like slow-motion replay

FOXBORO - If you want to get excited about Randy Moss and what he’ll bring to the Patriots in 2007, here’s a bit of advice:

Don’t watch him practice.

That was the impression made during the four days of non-contact workouts the media was allowed to watch last week at Gillette Stadium.

Perhaps Moss will ramp it up when training camp opens July 27, but if minicamp was any indication, fans probably shouldn’t expect any fireworks.

Nearly every regional and national media outlet was there to record Moss’ Patriots introduction, and most reports focused on the promise he brings to Tom Brady and the offense. Many dispatches also made sure to point out the three or four nice catches he made during those four days. In addition, Moss spoke to the media for about nine minutes Wednesday, which might have distracted the fourth estate from reporting what Moss actually did on the practice field.

Which, in short, wasn’t much.

While newcomers Wes Welker, Donte’ Stallworth and Kyle Brady hustled through their first days on the job, and veterans such as Tom Brady, Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi continued to exemplify the Patriots Way, Moss moved at his own pace. He rarely dug in. More often than not, he glided. On balance, the most talented receiver of this generation was just another guy.

You’d have thought Moss would have taken the opportunity to make an early statement, maybe run from drill to drill across the field, lead the sprints at the end of practice, blow by the slower and smaller players trying to cover him, whatever. Show a little hustle. Little things.

But it pretty much was the opposite. Moss was content to remain in the pack. He never was first in line. He certainly didn’t make defensive backs look foolish. Aside from climbing the ladder once or twice on high throws, he didn’t give any hints of his prodigious physical gifts. It’s true the entire proceedings were run at about three-quarters speed, but that didn’t stop Brady, Welker and Harrison from giving full effort. Moss’ speedometer seemed stuck at around 60 percent.

On Day 1, Moss stretched by himself while the rest of the team was in formation. On Day 4, coach Bill Belichick put his veterans through an extended session of field-length sprints (gassers). Moss was the last player in his position group to cross the end line on just about every one.

Based on his performance, it was as if Moss was saying, “I don’t care how I’m viewed. I don’t care about my reputation. I’m going about business the same way.”
In fact, that pretty much is what he said.
“To be honest with you,” Moss said, “I don’t plan on changing.”

In one regard, the statement showed some pride. Moss is no robot, and he clearly felt no need to put on a dog-and-pony show just because people expected him to. Perhaps he feels giving in like that diminishes what he’s done to this point of his Hall of Fame career. Fine.

But isn’t the comment a little scary coming from someone whose career just might be defined by this season?

Moss’ talent is beyond question. His numbers are cemented in the record books. But can he be a professional and an adult on a team defined by its work ethic? Can he be a trustworthy teammate and do all the little things it takes to be a champion? The Patriots have given Moss the opportunity to salvage a damaged reputation, just as they did with Corey Dillon in 2004. But does Moss understand the chance he’s been given?

On one level, the Patriots had better hope Moss was dogging it at minicamp, because if the performance was an actual indication of what Moss has left in the tank, the entire character discussion will become moot.

Moss’ former coaches in Oakland believe he lost his legs at some point the past few years. Art Shell laughed at reports of Moss running a sub-4.30 in the 40-yard dash two months ago. In a glowing report yesterday, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King quoted Harrison as saying there “ain’t no way (Moss has) lost his legs,” which might be true. It’s just that those legs weren’t on display while the cameras were rolling.

So maybe Moss simply didn’t want to bust out in his first week of practice. No problem. It’s only minicamp. Moss also didn’t want to give in to the character questions, which is fine, too. It’s June.

Talk to you again in September.
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...icleid=1006060

I realize its early in the season. Moss is probably correct if he is assuming his spot is sealed in the Pats starting lineup. Stallworth and the rest have much more to prove to get that other spot. IMO (and many others), though, Moss should be trying to show he still has it, though.

Last edited by Crushzilla; 06-12-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Forgot link
Crushzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: "Moss" collecting on Randy's legs?

It should be noted that a vast majority of the New England media are pretty excited about what they saw from Randy since he's been signed.

They are only small things, but his decision to take part in the voluntary workouts and attend the funeral of Marquise Hill (which is more than Asante Samuel did) tell me that he is focused on making this work in New England.

Felger is from the same stable (insert Chad Johnson pun) as Borges in that he will always look for the negative in any given situation - with the intention of playing the 'I told you so' card at a later date if proven right/partially right.

I'll judge the guy primarily by his actions and not his words - even so, Moss has shown me enough in various sound bites that he is willing to buy into the Patriots philosophy to further his chances of getting a ring.

Moss just plays in a languid, effortless looking style - and given his effort (or lack of) in Oakland I can see how that has potential for criticism.

When you break down the actual article it is riddled with inconsistencies and baseless gossip/innuendo.

Quote:
It’s true the entire proceedings were run at about three-quarters speed, but that didn’t stop Brady, Welker and Harrison from giving full effort
So Brady, Harrison and Welker put in full effort whilst running at 75% - oohhhh...kay.

Quote:
In one regard, the statement showed some pride. Moss is no robot, and he clearly felt no need to put on a dog-and-pony show just because people expected him to. Perhaps he feels giving in like that diminishes what he’s done to this point of his Hall of Fame career. Fine.
So that statement kinda makes sense, right?

Moss doesn't need to go 'all-out' like a rookie fighting for a roster spot..because he isn't one.

Maybe this srticle isn't so bad after all?

Quote:
But isn’t the comment a little scary coming from someone whose career just might be defined by this season?
Ah. A comment.

The 'i'm not going to change' comment that obviously spells disaster for Randy's Patriots career.

What people don't seem to realise is that all footballers are ego driven to some degree - is anybody expecting Randy to hold his hands up and say he was a poor team-mate in Oakland?

I know im not.

So while some media are only too happy to hand the Lombardi to New England in June (and then b*tch about the arrogant Patriots the very next day) there are always going to be those who rail against the common wisdom.

Theres always mileage in being a contrarian journalist - Boston/New England must have 75% of the nations quota.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

What surprises me about this article is that the writer acts like Randy cost the Pats a first and second round pick.

The Patriots gave up a 4th rounder and some change for Moss.

Even if he just uses his size to grab a few floaters for 5 or 6 touchdowns... I say good investment...
Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
What surprises me about this article is that the writer acts like Randy cost the Pats a first and second round pick.

The Patriots gave up a 4th rounder and some change for Moss.

Even if he just uses his size to grab a few floaters for 5 or 6 touchdowns... I say good investment...
Exactly right.

Its alot like the myth that the Steelers are 'cheap' in terms of salary cap expenditure - if it gets whispered enough times it must be true!

Reading the sports media - we get to hear about what a good team the Patriots appear to be on paper, but that they've had to go 'spend crazy' to get there.

Thats simply not true.

They've invested in two long term signings - Adalius Thomas and Wes Welker - two guys who I think are absolutely suited to the type of ball we play.

The other signings (Moss, Stallworth and Washington) have cost a single 4th round draft pick and 3 very reasonable 1 year deals (with optional extension) between them.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

:h ehe:.......................... ........... Sorry... I couldn't help it!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,169 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Quote:
It?s true the entire proceedings were run at about three-quarters speed, but that didn?t stop Brady, Welker and Harrison from giving full effort
So Brady, Harrison and Welker put in full effort whilst running at 75% - oohhhh...kay.
You kidding? Pulitzer-worthy stuff if I've ever read it. Ridiculous.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,573 Times in 3,987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
:h ehe:.......................... ........... Sorry... I couldn't help it!
that was totally called for. litp's spin on the situation is classic. if he were with the jets or dolphins im sure we'd hear the "truth' about the situation

Quote:
“To be honest with you, I don’t plan on changing.”
-randy moss
Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
that was totally called for. litp's spin on the situation is classic. if he were with the jets or dolphins im sure we'd hear the "truth' about the situation

-randy moss
The Pats are going to find out that they got robbed for a 4th round pick.

Randy already said he wasn't going to change... what a surprise. I know all the Pats fans think they got the best WR in the game... if he had any heart, I would agree, but he is just a whiny little me, me, me baby. Good luck New England... you're going to need it!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Hmmm, seems like Silver & Black is in the same situation that we were a couple years ago... waving at the Giants and saying... at just the right time (Or wrong time) you are going to SO WISH you never heard about him!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,573 Times in 3,987 Posts

Belichick ordered Moss to run "stairs" as part of his conditioning program. fortunately for him, the Patriots installed an escalator to accomdoate his lazy ass.
Quote:
“To be honest with you, I don’t plan on changing.”