Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers' Tomlin, Roethlisberger talk 'ball'

Steelers' Tomlin, Roethlisberger talk 'ball'

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 15, 2007

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made a good impression on coach Mike Tomlin during the offseason program the Steelers completed Thursday.

"He's a tremendous competitor," Tomlin said. "He's, of course, a very talented guy. He communicated well with his teammates. He's kind of a 'ball' junkie, and I didn't know that about him. He talked 'ball' on a day-to-day basis. He was really into it. I was very pleased with him."

'The more you can do ...'

With Tomlin running the show for the first time, there was more of an emphasis on experimentation for the Steelers this offseason. "We got an opportunity to look at many guys play different positions," Tomlin said. "I know that some of them were more of a story than others, the center position being one of them, but we moved a bunch of guys around. Corners played 'nickel,' corners played 'dime,' safeties played 'nickel' and 'dime,' (cornerback) Deshea Townsend played some safety, linebackers flopped around, wideouts exchanged positions, tailbacks played fullback, etc. That's kinda something we impressed upon them all offseason, the more you can do, the more you're willing to do adds value. And no job's too small."

Steelers to meet young campers

The Steelers will host two sessions of a Gatorade Junior Training Camp. It will be held July 1 at the team's indoor practice facility on the South Side. The camp is free to children 7-14 and will include participation in non-contact drills. Each session can include 250 children and will run from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 3-5 p.m. To register, visit www.steelers.com for downloadable forms.

Tomlin likes work ethic

Tomlin emerged from his first offseason appreciative of the way his players go about their business. "Overall, they like to work," he said. "They like to compete. They enjoy playing football in whatever form you present it to them, they love competition, period. There's a healthy camaraderie on this team. It's a close-knit team, it really is. It's kind of indicative of a team that's kind of been built through the draft, as opposed to a team that's been built through free agency. There's closeness to this football team that's a little better than teams I've been associated with in the past. That's been a pleasant surprise, something I've been excited about."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_512707.html
Old 06-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin, Roethlisberger talk 'ball'

Still loving what I'm hearing from Coach Tomlin...the month between now and the start of training camp always seems endless, and this year it's even more so. You can sense how strongly everyone wants to put the failures and disappointments of last year behind them. I can't WAIT!!!!!
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
PalmerSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
There's closeness to this football team that's a little better than teams I've been associated with in the past. That's been a pleasant surprise, something I've been excited about."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_512707.html
that is awesome. you couldnt blame anyone for questioning this teams chemistry and hunger from faneca's deal and porter leaving and bus leaving the year before. i will be shocked if we dont come out of the gates looking like real contenders.
PalmerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,485 Times in 3,950 Posts

Quote:
Tomlin likes work ethic

Tomlin emerged from his first offseason appreciative of the way his players go about their business. "Overall, they like to work," he said. "They like to compete. They enjoy playing football in whatever form you present it to them, they love competition, period. There's a healthy camaraderie on this team. It's a close-knit team, it really is. It's kind of indicative of a team that's kind of been built through the draft, as opposed to a team that's been built through free agency. There's closeness to this football team that's a little better than teams I've been associated with in the past. That's been a pleasant surprise, something I've been excited about."
ive heard some tomlin quotes that remind me of cowher, but this quote almost glowing of praise made me think it was cowher who said it. tomlin seems to have that perfect balance of being a players coach, yet being a hard ass who's all about business.

the old players may have a hard time of adjusting to what their asked to do in practice but i cant see them having any difficulty adjusting to tomlins personality and coaching style.

once he humbles everyone (in true belichickian style) and teaches them, they will embrace the fact that he can make them even better players, which ultimately puts rings on the fingers and money in the pockets.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Once again, loving what Tomlin has to say, it seems like we are in for a good year.

~PF43