Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,489 Times in 3,733 Posts
Default SI.COM: 10 young players who will make a splash in 2007

SI.com has a story up on 10 young players who will break out in 2007 - nice to see it includes 2 Steelers:

SANTONIO HOLMES, WR, PITTSBURGH
After stepping into the starting lineup late in the season, Holmes displayed the big-play ability that made him a first-round selection. In four starts, he averaged 20 yards a catch and proved to be a nice complement to receiver Hines Ward. After an offseason spent polishing his route-running, Holmes could become the vertical threat the Steelers have lacked since Plaxico Burress left via free agency.

ANTHONY SMITH, FS, PITTSBURGH
Despite spending most of his rookie season in a reserve role, Smith has a chance to emerge as an impact playmaker in his second year. His combination of ball skills and awareness makes him the ideal free safety as the Steelers blend in more Tampa Two coverage. With two interceptions and five breakups in four starts last season, Smith has shown that he is capable of being a difference-maker.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ak.outs/1.html
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: SI.COM: 10 young players who will make a splash in 2007

If Santonio has big plays like the game at Cincinnati it will definitely his break out year. Anthony smith will be a great threat in the backfield, and with polamalu there too quarterbacks are gonna have to be cautious where to throw, and with LeBeau's new defensive scheme anthony is going to cause some big damage. Can't wait to see him do sacks too
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,921 Times in 4,520 Posts

ive been following bucky brooks articles and they all seem well informed and insightful. you, along with mosca, have mentionned spaeth possibly being converted to a tackle. ive heard alot of buzz about this guy going into next season and it does give some credence

Quote:
JASON PETERS, OT, BUFFALO
The former college tight end has made a smooth transition to offensive tackle. The Bills recognized as much and rewarded him with a five-year extension in the offseason. Don't be surprised if Peters and new teammate Derrick Dockery are lauded this season as one of the league's top offensive line combos on the left side.
i still think inside the 10-20, spaeth with hines and holmes outside and miller in the slot with parker in the backfield, presents alot of problems for alot of defenses.

its good to see not everybody is sleeing on santonio holmes. i hate to wishfully think he can be the next torry holt, but the comparrisons are there.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

For a first year WR I really liked what I saw in Holmes. It's not exactly the easiest position to learn in your first year while having a third year QB with his own 'issues' throwing you the ball and pass protection which was not exactly top notch. Granted the kid got in some trouble but it seems to me he learned his lesson (unlike many others in this league).

Anthony Smith seemed like the only defensive player on this team who was able to pick off a ball. Love his future although I could have done without the showboating. I don't mind a player having a chip on his shoulder, but establish yourself and wait until ummmm.....oh I don't.....the play is over.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,921 Times in 4,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

Anthony Smith seemed like the only defensive player on this team who was able to pick off a ball. Love his future although I could have done without the showboating. I don't mind a player having a chip on his shoulder, but establish yourself and wait until ummmm.....oh I don't.....the play is over.
he gets a pass from me. after several years of playing for the 'cuse i can understand his excitement picking off a ball for the greatest team and sb champions. next time he will act like hes been there, because he finally has.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
he gets a pass from me. after several years of playing for the 'cuse i can understand his excitement picking off a ball for the greatest team and sb champions. next time he will act like hes been there, because he finally has.
Doing it once made me shake my head. I passed it off as immaturity and idiocy. But his response if you remember Tony afterwards was not exactly reassuring. Something to the effect that he would do it again. Search it and I'm sure you will find the exact quote.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

if he's picking off balls like that every week, i dont care if hes doing somersaults and back flips with the ball.. we need some swagger on D with joey gone.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
domthebomb228
Water Boy

Member Number: 5678

I'd add Bryant McFadden to this list. He's underrated, young, and probably our best cover corner last year. I think with yet another year under his belt he's really going to improve even more this year.
domthebomb228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
we need some swagger on D with joey gone.
As long as it's not costing us a 15 yard penalty for stupidity, I agree completely.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,489 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
if he's picking off balls like that every week, i dont care if hes doing somersaults and back flips with the ball.. we need some swagger on D with joey gone.
Not that Smith cares, but the showboating needs to go - unlike with Cowher last season, who continually allowed his players to draw taunting penalties after saying it would not happen again, there is a new sheriff in town. Look for more Troy & Farrior-like behavior on the field this season.

You can swagger without braying like a jackass.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote