Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: ESPN's Ultimate Depth Chart: AFC North

Just for fun, and to show how far off these preseason rankings/picks are, here is what ESPN listed as their power rankings right before the 2006 season started.

Seahawks
Panthers
Steelers
Colt's
Bronco's
Bengals
Patriots
Cowboys
Dolphins
Giants
Jaguars
Buccaneers
Bears
Redskins
Eagles
Chargers
Falcons
Ravens
Vikings
Chiefs
Cardinals
Rams
Lions
Texans
Raiders
Titans
Browns
Packers
Saints
Bills
Jets
49ers
Old 06-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoy71 View Post
I know we all saw the egg the Bengals laid last year against the Colts and the Patriots. The Colts game was one of the worst coached games, especially on the defensive side, I have ever seen and the Pats game was horribly executed. Of course since this is a Steelers message board, I will mention December 31, 2006. Steelers 23-17. Where was the defense? Win and they were in. When a slant rout that is designed to go for 7-12 yards goes for 60+ and for a TD... Lets not forget that the Bengals, with their "high powered offense", were 8-8 last year as well. Where was the defense on January 8, 2006? The Bengals were up by 17 points and lost.
OK, you've proved that the Bengals are not better than the Steelers. I don't remember anyone saying that they were, but good job.
Quote:
Lastly, about a Bengals fan ripping the Steelers team/fans about living in the past, If you had a past you would not be saying that. So do not be jealous. The Bengals are only marginally better than the Browns. But at least the Browns have more players, over the last 40 years, in the Hall of Fame. Besides I am sure you took the quote out of context.
If you're referencing the quote in my signature, it's actually referring to LITP, you know, the person. Someone else had a quote involving him in their signature a while ago so I decided to follow the trend.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #13
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
The Bengals get the 'best offense' award by default - they seem to be good at running up the score on poor teams (granted, they put 40 on the Chargers!) but I was underwhelmed by their effort against the Patriots.
40 points against the chargers (7th ranked defense)
31 against the saints (13th ranked defense)
28 against the steelers (12th ranked defense)
27 against the falcons (16th ranked defense)
27 against the raiders (3rd ranked defense)
23 against the broncos (8th ranked defense)
23 against the chiefs (11th ranked defense)
17 against the panthers (9th ranked defense)

The Patriots were the only team ranked in the top half of the league defensively against whom the Bengals did not score 17+ points. The Bengals averaged 25.4 points per game against teams ranked in the top half of the league defensively (including the patriots). Not too shabby for a team that runs up the score on poor teams. That's above their average of 23.3 points per game for the entire season.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,171 Times in 3,486 Posts

good burn but...

defense wins championships. while the bungles can score all they want during the regular season, theres nothing to stop them doing what they did vs. the chargers if they ever do get in the playoffs. and when it mattered most the bengals could do nothing but trip all over themselves against the colts, denver and pittsburgh.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
good burn but...

defense wins championships. while the bungles can score all they want during the regular season, theres nothing to stop them doing what they did vs. the chargers if they ever do get in the playoffs. and when it mattered most the bengals could do nothing but trip all over themselves against the colts, denver and pittsburgh.

You beat me to the punches Tone. You know, the '15th ranking against the run' Jab, the '31st ranking against the pass' right cross,.....and the '30th in total Defense' uppercut.

Which combined even with a better than average offense still equals,.....KO'd kittens.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #16
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
good burn but...

Oh believe me, I know our defense sucks, or at least it did last year.

Things are looking a little better on that front...if Odell keeps his nose clean he can make a huge impact, Ahmad Brooks showed a lot of promise in his first year...Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall should put some pressure on Deltha O'Neal to perform. Plus we got rid of fat ass Sam Adams.

If the Bengals could move up to 16th in overall defense, I think that could put them over the hump, assuming the offense continues to perform. If not, I guess it will be another 8-8 or early playoff exit.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #17
Titans666
Water Boy

Member Number: 5668

Quote:
The Bengals are only marginally better than the Browns.
Even if you're talking about the past that's a bit of a stretch .. The Bungs at least have 2 SB appearances - a heartbreaking dropped INT by Lewis Billups and a 4th and goal from the 1 away from 2 rings themselves.. The Browns have nothing along those lines except maybe allowing Elway to become a comeback superstar...
Titans666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #18
Titans666
Water Boy

Member Number: 5668

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
Oh believe me, I know our defense sucks, or at least it did last year.

Things are looking a little better on that front...if Odell keeps his nose clean he can make a huge impact, Ahmad Brooks showed a lot of promise in his first year...Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall should put some pressure on Deltha O'Neal to perform. Plus we got rid of fat ass Sam Adams.

If the Bengals could move up to 16th in overall defense, I think that could put them over the hump, assuming the offense continues to perform. If not, I guess it will be another 8-8 or early playoff exit.
If The Bengals Oline stays healthy unlike last season their Offense will be simply overwhelming. If injuries don't kill them again they will do much better tha 8-8... The defense will be improved with guys like Peko, Joseph and Jeanty getting another year under their belt..
Question: are they going to stick with Ghiacuic or however you spell it or the kid from Ohio State they grabbed from AZ at center?
Titans666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #19
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoolers4ever View Post
Even if you're talking about the past that's a bit of a stretch .. The Bungs at least have 2 SB appearances - a heartbreaking dropped INT by Lewis Billups and a 4th and goal from the 1 away from 2 rings themselves.. The Browns have nothing along those lines except maybe allowing Elway to become a comeback superstar...
Base fact in that is the browns are 11-20 in the playoffs, were as the bengals are 5-8 in the playoffs. Regardless of what, Bengals still have not won a SB.. Browns actually in team history have a overall winning record were as the bengals still have a overall loosing record as a franchise. It may not be SB Lombardi's but the Browns do have 4 NFL Championships. Past few years the Bengals have shown promise were as the Browns sit at the bottom.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 AM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
40 points against the chargers (7th ranked defense)
31 against the saints (13th ranked defense)
28 against the steelers (12th ranked defense)
27 against the falcons (16th ranked defense)
27 against the raiders (3rd ranked defense)
23 against the broncos (8th ranked defense)
23 against the chiefs (11th ranked defense)
17 against the panthers (9th ranked defense)

The Patriots were the only team ranked in the top half of the league defensively against whom the Bengals did not score 17+ points. The Bengals averaged 25.4 points per game against teams ranked in the top half of the league defensively (including the patriots). Not too shabby for a team that runs up the score on poor teams. That's above their average of 23.3 points per game for the entire season.
Nice stats, man.

Its funny I never would have put the Saints as high as 13th in points conceded.

One team you can take off the list though - the Raiders conceded 332 points (18th) which is one point worse than the Bengals!
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote