Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Steelers give warm fuzzies to coach

http://postgazette.com/pg/07165/793998-66.stm

Steelers warming to Tomlin

Thursday, June 14, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The arrival of any new boss generates anxiety in the workforce. The job Mike Tomlin walked into as the new Steelers coach carried its own predicaments.

He stepped into a situation where few 34-year-olds tread. He released one of their most popular and well-known players, fined another because he skipped a mandatory practice after blasting the team for not treating him fairly in contract negotiations, and listened to his quarterback tell him over dinner that he had to gain the trust of his team.

That does not mention the fact that he replaced Bill Cowher, the longest-tenured coach at 15 years in the NFL, and that the team he would run was one year removed from winning a Super Bowl.

As another former Steelers coach, Chuck Noll, often said, if it were easy, anyone could do it.

"A lot of guys," receiver Hines Ward said yesterday, "were griping early: 'Ah, we used to do it like this, we used to do it like this.'

"No question, when you have nine, 10 years with one guy, you're going to miss him. We all miss coach Cowher, but we can't play this game forever. Players, coaches, come and go, and you have to move on."

That, Ward said, is precisely what the Steelers are doing. Today is their final day of spring practices before they break until July 23 for training camp. Their skepticism about their new coach may not have disappeared, but he is winning them over.

"We've moved on and guys are starting to buy" into it, Ward said. "When he first got here, you sat back and really didn't say anything. Now, his door is open, and he's more than willing to listen to things."

Ward, one of the biggest critics of the release of linebacker Joey Porter in March, said he has walked through Tomlin's door often.

"I'm kind of like the veteran, the voice of democracy," Ward said. "He's been open to a lot conversation."

Among the suggestions Ward brought to Tomlin was for the players to have a day or two on the field this spring without wearing helmets. Thus, Hat Day was born. They had one in minicamp and will wear baseball caps again today.

Cowher took the team on a golf outing in the spring. Tuesday, Tomlin, who does not golf, took them bowling.

"It's about unity," Ward said. "He liked to pair up people who had some differences over the offseason. He put them together, and we came together as a group."

Guard Alan Faneca, unhappy over his contract situation, has not turned out for their spring practices except for one minicamp weekend, and even skipped one of those mandatory practices. He spoke out against the team, but not against his new coach. There hardly has been a complaint uttered publicly about Tomlin.

"Expectations are still high," Ward said. "I know a lot of pressure would be put on any coach who would have come in here. You're following two guys, coach Noll and coach Cowher, I mean those are two legendary coaches. ...

"For us, last year was a disappointment, coming off a Super Bowl year and not making the playoffs. Last year just totally stunk. A lot of guys are happy to get back and make sure what happened last year doesn't happen again this year and try to make sure we get back into that playoff run."

Not that there has not been some grousing among the players. Some can't stand the digital scoreboard clock that appeared on the sideline at practice and counts down different sessions. "This damn clock right here," is how Ward described it yesterday. Others aren't happy when they appear in The News, a list Tomlin publicizes at meetings of those who have made certain errors.

"It can be good and bad," said Ward. "It's just constructive criticism. It's not calling you out. If an offensive lineman jumps offside, we need to rectify that and make sure it doesn't happen."

If a quarterback throws an interception, he may find himself in The News. Ward appeared for spiking a ball after a catch, a penalty next season if done on the field and not after a touchdown.

"Really, it's a teaching technique," Ward said.

Generally, however, the players have warmed up to their new coach this spring.

"We know what's expected out of him," Ward said. "You get a good feel. He's still a player's coach ... a good guy, he's a straight shooter."
Old 06-14-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482
Default Re: Steelers give warm fuzzies to coach

All the pieces are falling into place nicely..
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Looks like 2007 will be another SHOKE AND AW type season.

The Steelers are going to SHOCK everyone and leave them in AW of our dominance!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,817 Posts

That is really neat that the players are "accepting" their new coach; some serious attitude is still being packed by the vets for their pining away for Cowher to still be a story.

The fact that this sort of story even needs to be written indicates to me that the rest of the old guard (Hines & Faneca) will need to be turned out before Tomlin can quit watching his back.

If this team gets off to a slow start I have no doubt Hines will be sniping at the new regime.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

The more I read about Mikey T, the more I think he was the best fit for our team.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,671 Times in 2,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
some serious attitude is still being packed by the vets for their pining away for Cowher to still be a story.

The fact that this sort of story even needs to be written indicates to me that the rest of the old guard (Hines & Faneca) will need to be turned out before Tomlin can quit watching his back.

If this team gets off to a slow start I have no doubt Hines will be sniping at the new regime.
in other news, others besides the designated quotebox arent so skeptical (Q&A w/ m. spaeth):

Quote:
From Ruth West, Sterling, Virginia: What are your first impressions of Coach Tomlin?

Matt Spaeth: I liked him from right off the bat. I was pretty familiar with him because he was in Minnesota last year. When I met him it was a good conversation and I really like him as a coach.
if the veterans dont like being in the "news" all they gotta do is not screw up. i really cant feel sorry for the team cause theres a clock on the practice field and they actually have to work on special teams.

i like that tomlin was receptive to the "hat day" idea. hopefully he makes the players earn those little rewards. i remember on denvers "americas game" schlereth, sharpe, and davis talking about how important having a "hat day" on fridays was to them after they won a game. little motivational techniques like that do work.

bottom line- tomlin has earned the rooneys trust. i dont think its about him earning the players trust once camp starts. hopefully thats what these minicamps have taught the team (except faneca, of course)