Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Re: Tomlin warns team to be ready for tough camp

Well, for this camp, everyone even at the positions not mentioned is going to have to work hard in a situation where they normally all but secured a starting position.

~Polamalufan43
Old 06-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
domthebomb228
Water Boy

Member Number: 5678

Quote:
There will be potentially less-publicized competition at other positions such as right tackle, where second-year pro Willie Colon is pushing incumbent Max Starks.

"Absolutely, but Willie's pushing a lot of people," Tomlin said. "Willie's been one of the guys we've moved around quite a bit because we want to put him in position to get to that top five and get in where he fits in, if he's capable. Willie's played some guard. Willie's played some tackle. Willie's even tried center.

"Willie's going to push a lot of people."
Oh man... You guys seriously have no idea how good it feels to hear that. It's about time we got a few linemen with some enthusiasm. Next up: Chris Kemoeatu
domthebomb228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Well training camp should be tough...No more movie days or a relaxed camp that Cowher was known for.....I don't want Tomlin to kill the player during training camp...But nothing wrong with a tough camp and alot of open competition.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #14
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Reminds me of that old addage, "A gallon of sweat saves a pint of blood." A tough camp should breed discipline, fitness, and cohesiveness. All necessary for a championship caliber team.

And I'd like to try and win some pre-season games this year. I know they don't count, but I think not trying to win anything last year set a bad tone to start the regular season. We have a chance to get off to a fast start this year and Tomlin strikes me as the type of coach who will want to establish a tradition of victory early on.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #15
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebus36 View Post
Tomlin strikes me as the type of coach who will want to establish a tradition of victory early on.
I couldn't agree more with that statement. His mindset, at least from what I've read and heard, is that he doesn't accept anything else but the best for himself and for his team. Having him around has made me unexpectedly excited about the upcoming training camp at least a month a head of schedule.

It's very difficult to try to talk football in an office full of tampa bay bucs fans. They don't understand things like tradition, honor, discipline, and winning!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #16
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by domthebomb228 View Post
Oh man... You guys seriously have no idea how good it feels to hear that. It's about time we got a few linemen with some enthusiasm. Next up: Chris Kemoeatu
You beat me to the punch bomb, I'm starting to get a good feeling about the O-line!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
They don't understand things like tradition, honor, discipline, and winning!!!

Amen brother! It a shame how few people understand those core values not only in football but in life. A team will beat a group of talented individuals almost every time.

Okay... I'm off my soap box.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

O.K...

I am starting to have a couple different thoughts from this article.

1. go back and look at the Steelers record for the first six games. It seems that we were always 3-3, 4-2, 2-4, etc. Why? Could it be because camp Cowher wasn't what it was all cracked up to be? I make a prediction that the Steelers will come out of camp sharper then any camp under Cowher. I do expect scheme mistakes and other things, it is a new system and a new coach. But even so, I expect that we will SEE a major difference.

2. Willie Colon? What in the world? Willie at Tackle, Wille at Guard, Willie at center? It seems that they are chomping at the bit to get him in. Which means that they see what he is capable of. Heck, if he is able to hold down all those positions, or even good enough to try out for all of them with serious looks at him playing there... And with that attitude of his... Why not Wille at Short yardage back? Willie as Fullback? Will as QB? Willie as coach!!! Yeah, I am playing a little... but if this is even half of what it is cracked up to be, we have a wildcard that could be used to plug many holes in the line for years to come.

3. Tomlin, "It'll give em something to whine about!" how in the WORLD could you not like a coach like that? Let's take a second look at what he really said. "The camp will be tough. I don't care. Start whining now, cause you KNOW WHAT IS COMING!" So much for coasting through camp. Oh yeah, and you KNOW... The first time Ward, Ben, Polamalu, Faneca, etc. gets moved to the second team because the backup is outperforming him... WOW. That'll light a fire under EVERYONE's rear end. At this point, I REALLY believe Tomlin will do it too.

4. From now till preseason will FLY for me... there isn't ENOUGH time. Sorry all.. But I am SO glad there is over a month still!! I have SO much to do...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #19
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

"I told the group it's going to be extremely tough," Tomlin said yesterday before watching his players disperse. "I'm not apologizing for that. I'm going to put that challenge out there to them. I'm looking forward to training camp."

The players can look forward to an increased emphasis on two-a-day practices, "probably a little heavier than they're used to," Tomlin said.

"It'll give them something to whine about."

The OTAs and the two minicamps the team conducted this offseason were exercises in "multi-tasking," Tomlin said. The goals were to implement a foundation on offense, defense and special teams, emphasize "situational football" (third down, red zone, etc.) while creating "artificial adversity". The goal is to learn how players approach their jobs and glean insight as to "who they are."

But the current depth chart, Tomlin emphasized, is "in pencil."

"People want to establish depth charts at this time of year, so be it," Tomlin said. "They change. There are known position battles that will be talked about, but there are also unknown position battles that are going to develop because we're going to go into this thing with no preconceived notions. No jobs are secure. This is not a security business. They gotta play and perform."

"I kinda like uncertainty at this time of the year," he said. "These guys are in the business of responding to challenges and answering questions. That's kinda the underlying theme that's involved in football."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_512704.html

Deserve it,........"Nuff said" !
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
2. Willie Colon? What in the world? Willie at Tackle, Wille at Guard, Willie at center? It seems that they are chomping at the bit to get him in. Which means that they see what he is capable of. Heck, if he is able to hold down all those positions, or even good enough to try out for all of them with serious looks at him playing there... And with that attitude of his... Why not Wille at Short yardage back? Willie as Fullback? Will as QB? Willie as coach!!! Yeah, I am playing a little... but if this is even half of what it is cracked up to be, we have a wildcard that could be used to plug many holes in the line for years to come.
Willie as goal line TE?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote