Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890
Default Anthony Smith

Quote:
The Pittsburgh No-Shows
Players fail to show up at mall for autograph signing event, but Steelers fans make do with memorabilia
by MARIE GILBERT marieg@herald-mail.com

HALFWAY - There was no mistaking his allegiance.

Wearing a Hines Ward jersey and holding a Terrible Towel, Brad Byers had to be a Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

Byers came straight from his overnight shift at a local warehouse to stand in line on Saturday at Valley Mall for autographs from four current Steelers.

Admitting he was tired, he quickly brushed it off.

"I can sleep tomorrow," Byers said. "The Steelers are in town."

Unfortunately, he was wrong.

As Steeler Nation converged on the mall, word spread that the noon autograph session with defensive backs Anthony Smith and Ryan Clark had been canceled.

Clark, who was visiting family in New Orleans, arrived at the airport to find out his flight had been delayed. He would be unable to get another flight until early afternoon - too late for the autograph session at the mall. Anthony Smith wanted more money for his appearance.

"When he found out that Clark was unable to make it, he wanted us to double his fee," said promoter Pete Ausiello of B&G Sports Memorabilia, who represents the four players who were to appear at the mall.

"We won't be held ransom for more money," he added...

I hope he doesnt turn out to be an a##hole.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Anthony Smith

Quote:
Anthony Smith wanted more money for his appearance.

"When he found out that Clark was unable to make it, he wanted us to double his fee," said promoter Pete Ausiello of B&G Sports Memorabilia, who represents the four players who were to appear at the mall.
Reeeeeeal classy move there Anthony. Keep letting that great personality of yours shine through and keep proving to me that you have such a high level of commonsense and maturity. Your doing a damn good job, keep it up buddy!

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-18-2007 at 04:13 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Well that sucks.

You know in years gone by that this guy would have taken a pasting from the vets in practice for pulling a stunt like that - as it is Tomlin will probably have to pull him back into line.

Its not that big a deal when compared to the Bengals fiasco, but then nobody likes to have an as*hole on their team (especially a guy barely out of football diapers).

What odds an apology for the 'misunderstanding' from Smith in the next few days?
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

I remember when Joe Montana did a similar thing when Monongahela, PA (near where I grew up) wanted to hold a "Joe Montana Day" celebration in his honor a number of years ago. He refused to show unless they threw buckets of money at him (they didn't, and he didn't show), and we've all heard the rumor that money was why he didn't show for the pregame intro during Super Bowl XL. Athletes pull that kind of primadonna stuff all the time.

Now, Anthony Smith is no Joe Montana, and even if he were, it was still a pretty boneheaded thing to do. I'll bet Coach Tomlin has a few words with young Mr. Smith about the perils of believing your own hype, and the professional responsibility a player has to the fans. Wonder if he'll show up in The News?

I feel bad for those poor fans in Hagerstown, for whom this appearance was obviously a huge deal. Anyone who makes their living performing for an audience would do well to remember that without the audience, you have no job...think of all the goodwill Anthony Smith could have earned just by smiling and signing autographs for those folks.

It's too bad he's struggling to pay the bills on an NFL player's paltry salary. Sheesh.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Steeltown58
Water Boy

Member Number: 2759

Steeltown58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,096 Times in 3,457 Posts

Quote:
The Pittsburgh No-Shows
Players fail to show up at mall for autograph signing event, but Steelers fans make do with memorabilia
by MARIE GILBERT marieg@herald-mail.com

HALFWAY - There was no mistaking his allegiance.
marie gilbert (?whoever she is?) cant write an article worth crap and needs to be fired. what a hack.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I agree its B.S....he wanted more money since the others couldn't make due to travel problems and James Harrison attending a friends football camp.....But lets not nail Smith to the cross just yet for making one bonehead move......Now if this becomes a pattern for Smith acting like an A-hole then by all means blast the guy and nail him to the cross.....lol

Really though just as long as Smith is knocking the crap out of TJ Humpshismama and picking footballs off then I could careless if he is an A-hole.....lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I wonder what it would sound like if it read.....

Quote:
Palmer, who was visiting family in California, arrived at the airport to find out his flight had been delayed. He would be unable to get another flight until early afternoon - too late for the autograph session at the mall. Chad Johnson wanted more money for his appearance.

"When he found out that Palmer was unable to make it, he wanted us to double his fee," said promoter Pete Ausiello of O&B Sports Memorabilia, who represents the four players who were to appear at the mall.
Interesting how some things work. Bonehead move #2 on Anthony Smith's part. Personally, I'm not crucifying the guy, I'm just keeping tabs.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Whats interesting?....I could careless what the Bengals players do.......lol I just think Smith deserves a break before we jump to nail him on the cross...........thats all....The players are being paid to help the team win games not to be nice guys...lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote