Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Re: Steelers Starting OLine in 2007 (at least I hope)

Starks is a flat out joke. He gets blown up at the line all day long. And no he would not even make the fit to guard. He needs to be let go.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Im not going to try to convince anyone about Starks, if you dont like him, thats fine, and you have reason not to like him. But I can pretty much guarantee he will be the starter this year. I for one have faith in him. He shows flashes of brilliance, but lack of proper and consistant coaching has been his downfall. Ive never been a Grimm fan, and was happy to see him go. We had the same OLine from the previous successful years in 2006, and there was no reason the line should been as bad as it was last year. When teams are only sending 4-5 guys and still pressuring Ben, you know something is wrong.

As far as Starks moving inside, it will never happen. There are plenty of reasons, but, have you ever seen a 6'8 interior lineman? It doesnt work too well because the protoypical QB is 6'5, and its harder to see open lanes in the middle when your guards are that big, and youd also probably see alot of balls ricocheting off of Starks helmet.
FourThreeMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #13
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

You cannot be for sure that starks will be the starter are not. We all do not know exactly what the center to right side of the line will actually look like until Tomlin lets us all know. Lots of battles to be done. Its one big guessing game on who will actually start at C, RG, RT. We all can say what line we would like to see but thats about it.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Please release or trade starks, he's young, someone would probably overpay for him
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #15
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

man i can sort of tell your not a big grim fan.

I am not so sure if chucky will get cut that is a little to much.

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #16
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
You cannot be for sure that starks will be the starter are not. We all do not know exactly what the center to right side of the line will actually look like until Tomlin lets us all know. Lots of battles to be done. Its one big guessing game on who will actually start at C, RG, RT. We all can say what line we would like to see but thats about it.
Well, nothing is for sure, but if I HAD to put money on it, Id bet that Starks is starting in 2007. There isnt alot of depth or competition at tackle. Trai Essex will never be a solid starter, and the rest are average depth or PS goonies. As much as some of you may dislike Starks, there are no better options behind him right now. It is possible someone makes major strides and somehow overtakes him, but judging from the players competing for that position, I really doubt that happens.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #17
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by verks36 View Post
man i can sort of tell your not a big grim fan.

I am not so sure if chucky will get cut that is a little to much.
Is it that obvious?

And what is too much when releasing Okobi? It wouldnt be that big of a cap hit.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #18
nwksteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2304
Thumbs up Re: Steelers Starting OLine in 2007 (at least I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Agreed Chrono. But, I think the Steeleres OL is possibly the most important single factor in their success in 2007. Good post FTM. I hope the new coaching & renewed competition & intensity can bring our OL more in line with that we had in 2005! We were amazing!
I could'nt agree more, our running game and pass protection will be the key to whether we challenge for a super bowl or a wild card appearance. Our defense will be fine
nwksteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #19
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I think everyone agrees that the O-line will be play a major role to how far the Steelers go this upcoming season. Those 5 men will be the key to Bens and the offenses productivity. Of coarse no one knows at this time who will start, but that is why we are all here on this forum- to discuss and debate who should start.

First off I think whoever starts at the beginning of the season is not a lock to be the starter at the end of the season. I really think some guys (prior starters,vets) will be given the oppurtunity to showcase themselves beyond training camp even if the 'younger guy' is playing good enough to start. Let's not forget we don't have the depth to just cast off linemen, especially with Faneca's inevitable departure looming.

I have to agree with FTM about Starks. I believe Starks will be given every oppurtunity possible simply because of his potential, and his potential is to be GREAT not just good. I know many of you are wondering where that potential was last year when Ben was getting drove into the turf, so was I. I believe alot of the problems on the right side of the line last season was due to both Starks and Simmons being out of condition. The new coaching staff along with new conditioning coach and new nutritionist will look to rectify that. Again I believe those two will be given every oppurtunity to succeed.

The center position is the most intriguing to me. I initially thought this would be a battle between newly aquired Mahan and Simmons (I am one who thinks Chukky will be gone). Now with all the talk about Colon, I think he could be in the mix. Whoever is at center will have to deal with some mammoth nosetackles (in the AFC) and I like Simmons or possibly Colon with his attitude for that job.

In the end I believe there will be only 1 new starter on the line at the beginning of the year, and that will be Mahan. I think it is a tossup as to whether Mahan plays center and Simmons at right guard or vise versa. I don't think Kemo is ready just yet, but he and Stephenson seem to have the potential to succeed at the guard position in the future.

O.K. the future. Now where will we be at the end of the upcoming season? I get the impression that the higher payed vets had better perform or they will be out. Obviously there is a lot of talk about Willie Colon, by coach Tomlin and many on this forum. I think it is obvious that Colon is 'THE #1 backup' at more than one position. It seems that everyone is itching to get Colon in the starting five (myself included). Here I have to agree with FTM again that Colon is probably best suited for a guard position (FTM had Colon as starting RG). That would leave us with a few guys fighting for the future guard vacancy, which is why I wouldn't mind seeing Colon compete and do well at center. By the end of the year Colon will be one of the starting five IMO.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #20
polamalu3000
Water Boy

Member Number: 5652

deshea will only be good for 1-2 more years then he will be about 33 so he will be pretty old and i wouldnt be surprised if a younger Corner came and took the starting job like maybe ike or gay.
polamalu3000 is offline   Reply With Quote