Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117
Default Terry Hoeppner dies

I am posting it here because he was Ben's coach in college. If it needs to be moved so be it.
I am a Purdue fan but this saddens me. He was doing good things at IU.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07170/795360-100.stm
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2908831
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070619/...diana_hoeppner
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...S0601/70619031

:

Last edited by Indy_Steelers; 06-19-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Indy_Steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Woogie
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2477
Default Re: Terry Hoeppner dies

I saw this as well. Very sad. He also did great things with football at Miami. When I was there, he was an assistant to Randy Walker, and football was not as popular as basketball.

His family is in my thoughts. He was very young and went through a lot with his illness in the last 2 years.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Man this sucks. Prayers to the IU family. I was looking forward to seeing him coach against Penn State this year.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Man I just got home from work and went on the computer....Saw on ESPN that he died.....Thats real sad and I know him and Ben were real close.....So I know Big Ben is going to take this real hard....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Hoeppner family.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Wow, I hadn't heard this. I knew he was really sick. He was a great football coach, and he was taken too soon.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Sad, RIP Coach.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Ben's college coach Hoeppner dies

Wasn't this the guy that was with Ben on draft day, the same guy that banged his fist on the table when Eli was drafted before Ben.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07171/795522-66.stm

By Colin Dunlap
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Indiana University head football coach Terry Hoeppner, who was Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's college coach at Miami (Ohio), died yesterday morning due to complications from a brain tumor.

Mr. Hoeppner, who had the tumor near his right temple removed in December 2005, had a second operation in September 2006 and took a medical leave from the Hoosiers on March 18. He was 59.

Mr. Hoeppner is survived by his wife, Jane, three children and four grandchildren.

"Coach Hoeppner has inspired me to be who I am today," Mr. Roethlisberger said in a statement. "He has been a second father, a teacher and a friend.

"He believed in me and I owe everything to him for where I am in life. I hold the deepest love and respect for him, his wife Jane and their family. He has been a role model for so many young men. I aspire to be as honorable and touch as many lives as Coach Hep. I will miss him more than words can describe."

Mr. Hoeppner guided the Hoosiers to a 9-14 record in two seasons after coaching at Miami for six seasons as head coach and 13 seasons prior to that as an assistant.

Last week, while Mr. Hoeppner was in the midst of his leave of absence, Indiana announced Bill Lynch, who has been the Hoosiers' assistant head coach and offensive coordinator since 2005, will assume head coaching duties for the 2007 season.

One local player directly affected is recent Upper St. Clair High School graduate Dane Conwell, who will be a freshman on Indiana's football team in the fall. Mr. Conwell, who played in the Big 33 Classic all-star game this past weekend, is in Bloomington and will begin summer classes on Thursday. Yesterday's news stung him.

"He was genuine," Mr. Conwell said. "Him being genuine is what sold me on Indiana. When I first talked to him, I could tell that Indiana football was a family and a group of people who were close-knit and all came together in trying to accomplish something great.

"To hear of his passing saddens me, it really does. But, I know the Indiana football family will come together and everyone will help each other get through this."

The Indiana University sports information Web site yesterday featured a section with condolences.

Penn State coach Joe Paterno said: "I admired him as a person and a football coach. I wasn't around him a whole lot since we haven't played Indiana [the past two years], but during the time I spent with him at Big Ten meetings, you could see that he was a very honest and courageous person."

Lloyd Carr, Michigan's coach, also commented, saying, "Terry Hoeppner was the embodiment of the very best qualities that are admirable in a coach. He was a man of integrity and passion; he loved his players and he loved the game. He represented the highest ideals of intercollegiate athletics. His legacy will endure, but his presence will be greatly missed.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,199 Times in 3,492 Posts
Default Re: Ben's college coach Hoeppner dies

while this topic has been touched on and moved to the college football forum, i just wanna say i heard bens release to the press earlier today and gotta say it is a very mature and classy statement. i even think he would say the same about cowher in the event of his untimely demise.

as far as hoeppners professional career, it seems ben was his pride and joy. without him, his vision, and tutelage, its very likely ben would be a 3rd string tight end or a flop of a college wr somewhere.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Threads Merged.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote