Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Vets rooting for Faneca?

Florio posted this earlier today, kind of a no news thing, and beat to death here, but its a slow news day. Figured I'd put it up if no one saw it.

Quote:
STEELERS VETS THINK FANECA SHOULD GET PAID

Though there are indications that new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is in the process of winning over the team he inherited from Bill Cowher earlier this year, Tomlin still has a long way to go before he's viewed as being firmly in control.

Case in point -- we're hearing that most if not all of the Steelers veteran players believe that Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca is getting a raw deal in the pay department from the team.

Last month, Faneca spoke out regarding his dissatisfaction with a demeanor so emotional that team chairman Dan Rooney later expressed concern that Faneca might keel over. Faneca basically said that the team is lowballing him, and that he will leave the franchise after the 2007 season, when his current contract expires.

Not many of the blue-collar types in the Steel City shed tears for Faneca, since in comparison to the average men and women who are the backbone of this country (and the legs, feet, arms, and hands) Faneca's name might as well be "Bill Gates." Still, in the locker room, the guys who have put in their time with the team tend to agree that the franchise should do more for Faneca.

On one hand, it's understandable. The players who have been with the team for several years can see themselves in Faneca's shoes: a long track record of loyal service, a birth date putting them on the wrong side of 30, and one last realistic shot at a big contract before it's time to call it quits.

On the other hand, the players need to realize that there is a hard cap on the money that is available for their salaries, and that a seven-year, $49 million contract to Faneca would only mean less money for the rest of them.

Besides, should anyone be shocked by the fact that the Steelers won't break the bank for Faneca? They've never broken the bank for anyone. They never will. Part of being a true Steeler is being willing to take less money there than might be available elsewhere. It's one of the reasons that the franchise can accumulate so many above-average players; by not having a ton of cap space tied up in two or three superstars, there's more than enough money available to ensure that all of the starters would really be starters in other cities, and that the depth chart really does have depth.
http://www.profootballtalk.com

The last paragraph kind of sums it up to me. I don't see anything changing for one guy.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Vets rooting for Faneca?

Players always think vets are being lowballed - if I was Hines Ward (my pick for the unnamed "vets" who support Faneca in this story) I would be rootin for Faneca since it is Hines paycheck at risk after this season.

Players take care of #1; no player going to stay with a team unless they think it is in their interest to do so, and managment negotiates contracts the same way.

Hines & Alan need to rent The Godfather - it's not personal, it's strictly business.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Well, once again, it comes from PFT.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Well, once again, it comes from PFT.
once again, I'm more likely to believe a REAL Source.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,311 Times in 476 Posts

Even if it's true, so what? Brady was quite vocally angry when the Pats' FO not only let Givens walk, but Branch as well. We'll survive. And which of the vets are willing to be cut from the team to make cap space for such a move? Not many, I'll venture to bet.

Edit: And another thing that pisses me off is how Tomlin's name gets mentioned every time this subject is brought up. Hello, it's the Rooneys who sign the checks, not Tomlin!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Edit: And another thing that pisses me off is how Tomlin's name gets mentioned every time this subject is brought up. Hello, it's the Rooneys who sign the checks, not Tomlin!
No doubt! Coaches can talk to players and get them to come to camp (like Cowher with Hines) but they don't negotiate salaries or write contracts. If anything, Tomlin deserves credit for reaching out to Faneca and getting him to minicamp rather than blame for the contract situation.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

any player is gonna root for Faneca or any other player to get paid more
Old 06-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I noticed that too, it's like if these unreliable sources like PFT are always trying to put the blame on the young rookie coach.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Last year, I started copying all the "top" football writer predictions and comparing them to things they said later in the season. My fav was John Clayton who predicted Daunte Culpepper would take the 'fins to the Super Bowl only to later state that it was doomed from the start and they should have take Drew Brees. (No duh...)

I mention that because these same people will be making similar predictions aobut Tomlin.

We should start an archive of preseason Steelers predictions and see what writers are closest to getting it right.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

If I was a veteran player on this Steelers team, I'm pretty sure that I would do whatever I had to do to appease Faneca. He's going to be a Steeler this year, no matter what, and he's still one of the best at his position (although the Steelers know he's starting to slip a little, or else we wouldn't be talking about this) and the team needs him to play to the best of his ability if they are going to make a run. If I was Hines Ward I'd tell him he was worth Peyton Manning money to get his head into the game.