Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default LJ the next big name holdout?

Another big name player is regretting signing his last contract - which I guess is a direct result of the last couple of leaps in the salary cap.

Something tells me that LJ is looking at the QB situation in KC and realises he is going to be doing alot of work this year.

Quote:
L.J. PREPARING FOR HOLDOUT

Chiefs running back Larry Johnson tells Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star that Johnson might be forced to hold out if he doesn't get a new contract by the start of training camp.

"I'm prepared," Johnson told Whitlock. "They [my agent and father] got me saving money. I'm hustling to get more money to put in the bank. They already started setting aside different accounts, if that would have to happen. They're already telling me to be cautious about how I spend, where I go and stuff like that. To make sure that if it goes down like that, then I've got to be able to pace myself so I won't be in trouble."

Johnson said he believes that Chiefs president Carl Peterson is going to "test" him in connection with contract negotiations that could turn contentious quickly -- especially in light of the fact that the Chiefs were making it known earlier this year that Johnson was available via trade.

Johnson's agent, Alvin Keels, attended the interview, and added a few thoughts. Including this one: "The point I'd like to get out," Keels said, "is that if we were to have to hold out, it would be for the sake of good business, not being greedy. I think the picture that is being painted right now in the eyes of the fans is that we're coming into this negotiation being greedy. It's not good business for a player who rushes the ball 416 times in a season, back-to-back Pro Bowl seasons, back-to-back 1,700-yard seasons, back-to-back broken Kansas City Chiefs records, it's not good business for him to come back in and play for $1.7 million. And that's a sensitive area because $1.7 million is a lot more than most people in Kansas City make."

But the real question, as we see it, is whether Johnson is a truly great runner, who will get his yards even with shoddy blocking, or whether his production is the result of the strong offensive lines that the team has enjoyed over the past few years. (But no more.)

Indeed, the retirement of Willie Roaf in 2006 might have directly contributed to that 0.9 yard-per-carry dropoff last season. And with Will Shields now out of the picture, too, there could be another slip in 2007.

And that could be why the Chiefs want to see what Johnson can do with an even weaker wall of blocking before paying him a bunch of money.

Still, we see Johnson's side of it. "If they really want it to hit home, look at Earl Campbell," Johnson said. "He's not complaining, but he can barely walk. He's sitting in wheelchairs. He can't sit at banquets for a long amount of time before he has to leave. It's sad to have to watch him go through what he has to go through. You look at me; I don?t want to be like that. But I may end up like him. Who knows? I have to be able to plan for that, plan for my kids. I don't know if I'm going to be running back and forth taking my kids to soccer practice."

So why should he take another 400-carry punishment in 2007 for only $1.7 million? Though it would have been nice if he had considered this before, you know, signing his contract, the fact that he could be carrying the entire offense on his back this season suggests to us that, in all fairness, an adjustment is necessary.

Thus, our gut feeling on this one is that it could very well be another Deion Branch situation, with a lengthy holdout followed by a trade.

If, that is, there's someone who wants him bad enough to both pay the player and pay his team. If, after all, King Carl demanded a fourth-round pick for a quarterback he no longer needed, Peterson might ask for a Ricky Williams package when it comes to a running back he no longer wants.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: LJ the next big name holdout?

Can't say we didn't expect this with his contract. If he leaves, that will be a huge loss for an already sagging Chief football team.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Oh boy, chiefs are gonna be bad in the future to come, the whole team is falling apart.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Oh boy, chiefs are gonna be bad in the future to come, the whole team is falling apart.
Like it hasn't already?

Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Sounds like the offense is falling apart just like thier defense does every game.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Sounds like the offense is falling apart just like thier defense does every game.
They had pieces to fall apart still. OH the agony for KC Sports fans. lol.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,125 Times in 3,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
They had pieces to fall apart still. OH the agony for KC Sports fans. lol.
agony was watching the cheifs in the playoffs last year as the steelers sat at home, knowing willie parker could put up 200+ yards on the colts. all because we couldnt beat the raiders, something the cheifs do with ease.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
agony was watching the cheifs in the playoffs last year as the steelers sat at home, knowing willie parker could put up 200+ yards on the colts. all because we couldnt beat the raiders, something the cheifs do with ease.
oh I know.

But also, how about them losing out on our beloved Penguins. It was great to say to KC NO PENGUINS FOR YOU!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,125 Times in 3,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
oh I know.

But also, how about them losing out on our beloved Penguins. It was great to say to KC NO PENGUINS FOR YOU!
thats great but they never had hockey in the 1st place. they had nothing to lose. despite our superbowl wins, being a pirates fan looking up at the freaking royals of all teams still sucks...
Old 06-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

LJ ... I have no respect for that hair-pulling sissy.