Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Busted!! #24, 48 fail inspection at Sonoma

SONOMA, Calif. -- Nextel Cup points leader Jeff Gordon and reigning series champion Jimmie Johnson were banned from on-track activities Friday, and their status for Sunday's event at Infineon Raceway was in jeopardy after NASCAR discovered illegal front-end modifcations in initial inspection.

The cars of neither Gordon, the defending race champion, nor Johnson will be allowed to practice or qualify Friday.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...ion/index.html

-----------------------

100 points+ $100,000? or worse? next Tuesday should be real interesting.

Starting from the back on a road course ain't good...which is where they'll be.
Go Matt!.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Busted!! #24, 48 fail inspection at Sonoma

Wait, I thought that NASCAR was in bed with Hendrick and there was a conspiracy against all the other teams?

Or did they have to manufacture this to dissuade people of that notion? After all, Gordon is likely to win the race no matter where he starts. Johnson I don't get. He's not much of a road racer, unless they had to include him. It's all so confusing, the many, many conspiracy theories in NASCAR.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

More proof that the COT is turning Cup into an IROC series:

"It's important to know this is a Car of Tomorrow penalty," Poston said of the short-term severity of the sanction. "The inspection process and NASCAR's response to Car of Tomorrow violations are going to be more severe."

"We're going to keep this car in check. It's important to know all cars in the field are starting out equal and have the ability to win the race."

Quote of the day: "It's going to suck with those two cars [Gordon and Johnson] starting in the back because guys up front aren't going to get any air time."--Kurt Busch

OK, I'll give Kurt a +1 on that one.

This is one of two tracks (Martinsville) where I lower my expectations to a top 15. Anything better than that is gravy.

Good job Jamie, on winning the pole!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,081 Times in 4,583 Posts

Quote:
Quote of the day: "It's going to suck with those two cars [Gordon and Johnson] starting in the back because guys up front aren't going to get any air time."--Kurt Busch

OK, I'll give Kurt a +1 on that one.
if i wasnt looking id think that was said by rusty wallace himself.

im not so sure about the hendrick teams getting fined or docked for this infraction. did you hear gordons rehearsed whine that hes been sitting on waiting, for them to finally get caught?

"whaaa.... this is a new car, and we dont get to practice, and this is gonna set us back tremendously... whaaaa...new car... roadcourse...tough to come from the back..."

then he went out and posted one of the fastest times in morning practice. this seems to be a case where nascar will wait and see how the 2 cars do in the race. if they win they might punish them, and if they suck, nascar will probably figure making them start in back was enough.

kudos to jerry rice who is the grand marshall. he was a guest on "trackside" and was totally enthusiastic about nascar. you woulda thought he was an ambassador for the sport. he gave all the drivers there props for trully being atheletes. elliot saddler, a multi sport athelete himself appreciated the compliment coming from 1 of the greatest atheletes ever.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

So I still don't get it. Why bother at all if NASCAR is so pro Hendrick? And now that the two cars drove right to the front despite them being so far back, and Stewart driving from the back a couple of times, doesn't it prove that the best drivers are the best drivers no matter what kind of equipment they drive? Or is there some other conspiracy or something I don't know about?

I think you guys all watch too much TV or read too many Art Bell websites. The best owners with the best equipment attract the best drivers, and vice-versa. There is no collusion and no conspiracy. Also, if the COT is like IROC, then wouldn't the cream rise to the top? Hasn't it?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Nascar is a sport where cheating is a part of the game. It is just how much you can get away with. I bet if you searched all the cars in the field throughly like spent a couple hours on each one more than 1/3 would in some way violate the rules. Remember that one guy who tried running his engine on rocket fuel haah!

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

See? I told you this place sucks. One crash+ one spin+running out of fuel = crappy day.

Now get ready to hear "Juan Pablo" at least 8 billion 999 million, 857 thousand times in the next week. nascar must be having multiple orgasims right about now...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #8
tony hipchest
Supporter

proof there is still a smidgeon of hope left in nascar:

1) someone other than a chevy or rousch ford were allowed to win

2) team hendrick was shown they wont be allowd to cheat and get away with it every single week. i know, i know... by slapping them on the wrists nascar was just throwing all other teams fans a bone....

i dont expect any other sanctions. taking away a win from gordon on the week his daughter was born and giving him a 7th place finish is punishment enough

100 pts and a 4 race suspension of latarte and knauss (nascars version of pacman jones) will restore my faith...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

amazing. the hammer was dropped and it was consistant with no champion's preference. 100 pts and a 6 race suspension for latarte and knauss.

good job nascar!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

1) someone other than a chevy or rousch ford were allowed to win

2) team hendrick was shown they wont be allowd to cheat and get away with it every single week. i know, i know... by slapping them on the wrists nascar was just throwing all other teams fans a bone....
It's sad to see this. I hope not too many fans actually think this way. This isn't pro wrestling. Stewart should have a win. Hamlin should have a win. Kahne should have a win. Teams need to click on all cylinders and have great luck to win a Cup. It's the little things that steal wins and rob teams of championships, and Rouch and Hendrick do all the things, big and little, that it takes to win.

As far as cheating, so far Busch, Waltrip, Jr, Gordon, Johnson, Kahne, Riggs, Elliot, Kenseth, Bliss, Lepage and Burton have all been penalized for cheating this year. Seems to me everyone cheats, and they get caught pretty regularly, too. No conspiracy here.