Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #21
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Busted!! #24, 48 fail inspection at Sonoma

I'll address the last, as it's the only valid point.

And it's only valid because over the last 20 years there have been lots of Fords, but there were also Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles in the mix, along with Chevy's and the newer Dodge's. There might have even been a Plymouth. If you are somehow suggesting that Dale Earnhardt Sr. oversaw some shadowy committee to plug Chevy, you've truly lost me.

My points were clear and concise. There are references. Anyone who cares can look up and verify what I've "postulated". I stand by my posts 100%.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,763 Times in 3,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I'll address the last, as it's the only valid point.

And it's only valid because over the last 20 years there have been lots of Fords, but there were also Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles in the mix, along with Chevy's and the newer Dodge's. There might have even been a Plymouth. If you are somehow suggesting that Dale Earnhardt Sr. oversaw some shadowy committee to plug Chevy, you've truly lost me.

My points were clear and concise. There are references. Anyone who cares can look up and verify what I've "postulated". I stand by my posts 100%.
have you provided any percentages of oldsmobiles, pontiacs, plymouths and dodges in the field in the past 20 years? like i said, all the times ford was "brought back down to earth" they were the majority. are you saying we should expect nascar to bring the highest budgeted chevy teams "back down to earth"? i wont hold my breath. maybe they will give a "luxury tax" like baseball did to the yankees and red sox.

i already showd the influence dale sr. had in nascar. sorry youre lost, but but there has been no driver in the sport closer to mike helton, bill sr. and jr. than sr. thats not a conspiracy or secret.

dale and his raw talent did for nascar what joe namath did for the nfl. i cant or wont deny that. the fact that chevy fans can, is what is amusing.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #23
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

At least they dealt the cards somewhat evenly this time...that's all I was looking for.

Jimmy drops to 5th in pts.

Rank Driver Points PB

1 Jeff Gordon 2438 ---
2 Denny Hamlin 2267 -171
3 Matt Kenseth 2105 -333
4 Jeff Burton 2084 -354
5 Jimmie Johnson 2072 -366
6 Tony Stewart 2058 -380
7 Carl Edwards 2019 -419
8 Kevin Harvick 1964 -474
9 Clint Bowyer 1934 -504
10 Kyle Busch 1905 -533
11 Martin Truex, Jr. 1863 -575
12 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 1815 -623
13 Ryan Newman 1719 -719
14 Jamie McMurray 1686 -752
15 Mark Martin 1662 -776
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #24
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Meanwhile....they race on...check out this car

Kenseth wins All-Star Challenge

OREGON, Wis. (AP) -- Matt Kenseth had another happy homecoming at Madison International Speedway Tuesday night.

The NASCAR Nextel Cup Series star from nearby Cambridge cruised to victory in the First Supply All-Star Challenge at the half-mile track where he won a late-model championship in 1994.

Two-time Cup champion Tony Stewart finished seventh after starting 16th in his second trip to the event
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #25
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Well, the last time I checked, teams weren't "forced" to race in Chevy's. If there is a conspiracy, why don't all the teams switch to Chevy? They could if they wanted. And when you say NASCAR should bring Chevy "back down to earth", what do you mean? They already went to a common template car. What other ideas would you institute? And if you want to talk big budget, nobody spends more money then Toyota (well, yeah, Ferrari does, but that's F-1). Rumor has it that Gibbs is leaving Chevy and heading to Toyota. Why would they do that if NASCAR favors Chevy so much?

The bottom line remains that the best teams attract the best drivers, and the Chevy teams were better prepared for the COT. There's no conspiracy, no collusion, and no favoritism.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #26
tony hipchest

Quote:
Well, the last time I checked, teams weren't "forced" to race in Chevy's. If there is a conspiracy, why don't all the teams switch to Chevy? They could if they wanted. And when you say NASCAR should bring Chevy "back down to earth", what do you mean? They already went to a common template car. What other ideas would you institute? And if you want to talk big budget, nobody spends more money then Toyota (well, yeah, Ferrari does, but that's F-1). Rumor has it that Gibbs is leaving Chevy and heading to Toyota. Why would they do that if NASCAR favors Chevy so much?

The bottom line remains that the best teams attract the best drivers, and the Chevy teams were better prepared for the COT. There's no conspiracy, no collusion, and no favoritism.
" And if you want to talk big budget, nobody spends more money then Toyota"

i think you answered your own questions.

Quote:
The bottom line remains that the best teams attract the best drivers,
maybe in nascar of the past 10 years but drivers like dale earnhardt, rusty wallace, and bill elliot didnt win their championships cause they were funded by the richest or in your words "best" teams. today a team like earnhardt's or wallace's 1st championships wouldnt have a shot in hell in winning the cup regardless of the driver.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #27
revefsreleets
Living Legend

But that's just part of the evolution of the sport. Richard Petty would probably only win 10 races in his whole career if he raced now. It's impossible to compare the old and the new.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #28
tony hipchest

Quote:
But that's just part of the evolution of the sport. Richard Petty would probably only win 10 races in his whole career if he raced now. It's impossible to compare the old and the new.
exactly. back then it was more about having the best driver, especially since there really werent that many multiple car teams. now its more about having the best resources, research and development, track test time, wind tunnel time, 5 point shakers (or whatever theyre called), and teammates on the track.

i guess one could view the new COT as a way to "level the playing field" so the cream rises to the top. but it still wont be decided strictly by who has the most skill. it will be decided by who's team has the best recources, money, and track time for testing.

team hendrick employs atleast 50 people with doctorates degrees (phd's in engineering and such) its no wonder theyre a little ahead of the curve when it comes to the cot. im pretty sure richard petty just employed a bunch of gearheads like earnhardt sr. who didnt even graduate high school.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #29
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Actually, I was thinking a lot differently than that. Richard Petty won because he had ALL the resources, and he could pretty much cheat at will and never get caught. He wasn't the best driver ever, just the one with the most resources at the time.

It's pretty clear that you hate all the best drivers. Tony Stewart isn't getting any Christmas cards from you either, is he? Your bias doesn't change the fact that they are the finest drivers in the sport.

Hey, as an interesting exercise, why not rank your top 20 drivers based on sheer talent? Forget teams or equipment or any of that, just sheer driving ability. I'd love to compare lists.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #30
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Only current drivers.