Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 06-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: The NHL Draft

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Penguins organization Angelo Esposito!!!

ANGELO ESPOSITO
Pos: Centre
Shoots: L
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Born: 2/20/1989
Team: Quebec (QMJHL)
RANKINGS
TSN: 8
CSB: 8 NA
ISS: 11
RLR: 12
McK: 16
THN: 9

The TSN Insider's Forecast: Where do we begin? By now, the Quebec Rempart forward's story has been well documented. Once the odds on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2007 entry draft, his production fell off significantly this season and he became the whipping boy for the same scouting fraternity that was singing his praises a year ago. Now? Good question. Esposito seems to be making a bit of a comeback in terms of his perception with the scouts. Perhaps they realized they were being overly harsh, weighing him against a higher standard than the other prospects. So in terms of a consensus rating, Esposito remains a top-10 prospect, although in our survey of scouts no one had him at No. 5 or higher. But is it possible he will fall out of the top 10? In a word, yes, although the sense now is that any fall out of the top 10 won't be so precipitous. "The truth is he isn't the prospect we thought he was a year ago," said one scout, "but he isn't as bad as he's been made out to be. He is still a good prospect in this draft." Esposito's strength is quickness and his skill with the puck. His critics suggest he needs to battle harder on a more consistent basis and use his linemates better. But the kid has scored high points with how he's handled his fall from grace. Numerous scouts commented on how mature he was in the interviews and how he recognized that he allowed the draft-year pressure get to him, but that it's all behind him and he can only focus on being a better player. "In the long run," a scout said, "this adversity could make this kid a lot better hockey player. He's already had to deal with a lot more than the others in this draft and if he can use that to his advantage, he'll be alright." Some have dubbed him the Phil Kessel of this draft, but Esposito could be waiting a lot longer for his name to be called than Kessel did when he fell from can't-miss, No. 1 status to fifth overall last year.

From NHL Central Scouting: A skilled forward with excellent skating ability. His top-end speed and mobility backs off defenders. Sees the ice well and has the ability to make pin-point passes. Not afraid to go to the net. Needs to increase his physical presence and his play in traffic. Needs to show more consistency.

From ISS: We feel strongly that as the season progressed, Esposito displayed some traits that are slightly concerning. He creates so much offense by using his tremendous skating, but will need more at the next level. Plays on the outside - does a lot of fishing with stick near scrums for loose pucks. Needs to show more competitiveness. Used his speed to win races, but wouldn't battle for loose pucks. Soft mentally and questionable leadership ability at next level.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #22
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WAY TO GO SHERO!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO PITTSBURGH ANGELO ESPOSITO!!!!!!!!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #23
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Wow, the Penguins got lucky with Esposito dropping that far down in the draft.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #24
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesburgh66 View Post
Wow, the Penguins got lucky with Esposito dropping that far down in the draft.
Yep, I'm shocked Montreal didn't take him.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #25
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WAY TO GO SHERO!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO PITTSBURGH ANGELO ESPOSITO!!!!!!!!
This is beautiful. Even this year we manage to grab a player who's ranked in some circles in the top 5. Others top 10. For a team picking 20 I'm completely ecstatic with this pick.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:33 PM   #26
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
This is beautiful. Even this year we manage to grab a player who's ranked in some circles in the top 5. Others top 10. For a team picking 20 I'm completely ecstatic with this pick.
Same here brother!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #27
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

8 Americans taken so far in the top 25 this year.

10 taken last year in the top 25.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,747 Times in 3,674 Posts

Quote:
i know nothing about the hockey prospects. just to put it into perspective for me, 3 years in the future, would you compare it to having labron james, dywane wade, and then adding a top 5-10 lottery pick?

do we still need our "shaquille oneal" or does it look thike the penguins will be set for the future (and i realize with all the subsitutions and line changes hockey is much more complicated than basketball, but you know what im getting at...)
Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #29
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i know nothing about the hockey prospects. just to put it into perspective for me, 3 years in the future, would you compare it to having labron james, dywane wade, and then adding a top 5-10 lottery pick?

do we still need our "shaquille oneal" or does it look thike the penguins will be set for the future (and i realize with all the subsitutions and line changes hockey is much more complicated than basketball, but you know what im getting at...)
Just my opinion...

The comparison made tonight was that Esposito is our Brady Quinn. Only difference, "our Brady Quinn" is going to be playing with players named Crosby, Staal and Malkin. For me, it's hard to say who you can compare him to at this point in time, but at #20 we would have been crazy to not pick him up.

Some 'experts' busted on the kid because he was surrounded by talent and that's supposedly why he played well. Guess what? It's not going to be any different here in the Da'Burgh. Crosby, Malkin and Staal are no scrubs...lol. Let's see how the kid pans out in one or two years when he's hopefully up at the NHL level playing along a more seasoned Staal and a more seasoned Malkin.

I still feel we need a blueline defenseman and a winger who can instantly make an impact (through trade or FA) on this team this year. Malone and Recchi are not the answer for a player of Sidney Crosby's caliber.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #30
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
The comparison made tonight was that Esposito is our Brady Quinn. Only difference, "our Brady Quinn" is going to be playing with players named Crosby, Staal and Malkin. For me, it's hard to say who you can compare him to at this point in time, but at #20 we would have been crazy to not pick him up.

Some 'experts' busted on the kid because he was surrounded by talent and that's supposedly why he played well. Guess what? It's not going to be any different here in the Da'Burgh. Crosby, Malkin and Staal are no scrubs...lol. Let's see how the kid pans out in one or two years when he's hopefully up at the NHL level playing along a more seasoned Staal and a more seasoned Malkin.

Overall though, I still feel we need a blueline defenseman and a winger who can instantly make an impact (through trade or FA) on this team this year.
Not to mention, Esposito is 100x+ Better then Quinn.