Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
stillers4ever
Water Boy

Member Number: 5712
Default Capizzi, Deslauriers, Fowler, Mosley?!?!

I was checking out the current Steelers roster the other day when i came across these undrafted rookie guys. A 6'9 315 lb OT in Capizzi?!?! Are you kidding me why havent we heard more about this guy. A 6'4 receiver in Deslauriers?! a 6'3 RB in Mosley?! Hes taller than half our wide receiver core! Are these guys jokes? There are always comments on our lack of size, so what in the world? I was just wandering if anyone has heard anything on these guys, and what are some of the opinions about them.
stillers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,839 Times in 2,095 Posts
Default Re: Capizzi, Deslauriers, Fowler, Mosley?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4ever View Post
I was checking out the current Steelers roster the other day when i came across these undrafted rookie guys. A 6'9 315 lb OT in Capizzi?!?! Are you kidding me why havent we heard more about this guy. A 6'4 receiver in Deslauriers?! a 6'3 RB in Mosley?! Hes taller than half our wide receiver core! Are these guys jokes? There are always comments on our lack of size, so what in the world? I was just wandering if anyone has heard anything on these guys, and what are some of the opinions about them.
they sound like hockey players. while they do have the size i think they just dont have the skill (atleast not enough to get drafted)

however thats not to say they dont have a chance. for every fred gibson, omar jacobs or orien harris we draft and cut, we seem to find a willie parker, nate washington, james harrison, or chris hoke who went undrafted.

(capizzi could have the same problems max starks is fighting right now)
Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
SteelerWatch
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5526

Max Starks' only problem is consistency. He can toy with a 300-pound defensive end but get leveled by a 240-pound linebacker. If he played at 80% of his best on every single down, he'd be an annual Pro Bowler. Unfortunately, he plays at 100% half the time, and 40% the other half. And it's those 40% plays that bit us in the arse.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

I don't know if starks could ever be an annual probowler ... he struggles vs. faster DE's and just looks clumsy sometimes.

I'm really worried about the makeup of our 08' o-line. We never really got to see much of kemo/essex/colon at all these past couple years, so I'm really excited to watch the o-line in preseason games. Usually I pay more attention to the skill players on offense, However, this year I believe preseason will be a lot more meaningful than in the past. Jobs will be won and lost in the preseason and Tomlin is going to field the best 22 that we got. Everyonoe better bring their A game.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
I don't know if starks could ever be an annual probowler ... he struggles vs. faster DE's and just looks clumsy sometimes.

I'm really worried about the makeup of our 08' o-line. We never really got to see much of kemo/essex/colon at all these past couple years, so I'm really excited to watch the o-line in preseason games. Usually I pay more attention to the skill players on offense, However, this year I believe preseason will be a lot more meaningful than in the past. Jobs will be won and lost in the preseason and Tomlin is going to field the best 22 that we got. Everyonoe better bring their A game.
Got to worry about 2007 first. I don't know what the odds Max even starts this year anyway.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post

im high on kemoeatu and essex, but it could just be that they just suck worse than starks. plenty of teams plug in rookie 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th round linemen and actually improve. we will never know until we plug them in...
Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,103 Posts

I agree with tony I really like kemoeatu.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 AM   #8
SteelerWatch
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5526

Kemoeatu and Willie Colon are some good linemen. And we've already had conversations about their nasty streaks. Essex has shown flashes of absolutely brilliant play. but he's been beat on some snaps too. I think he's the wildcard of the three.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

This is the guy I like:

NFL | Capizzi works out at Pro Day - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 01:20:46 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Indiana (Pa.) OL Jason Capizzi measured a height of 6-foot-9 and a weight of 324 pounds at his Pro Day. He ran the 40-yard dash in 5.22 seconds and 5.23 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.80 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.77 seconds. He measured a 22-inch vertical jump and completed 26 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press.

I can not find the article but he is from Pittsburgh and he says his dad has had season tickets since 1970. He was offered to play for several other teams but choose the Steelers. He started his college career at Pittsburgh.

Here is a good article.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/blai.../s_505268.html
Old 06-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
tony hipchest

there was a great kirwan article from early april i posted in the draft section that pertains to capizzi. its kinda long but here are the important parts.

http://nfl.com/draft/story/10102138
Quote:

DRILLING AT THE BOTTOM
I learned a valuable lesson a long time ago getting ready for the draft. It's important to spend time in the early part of April digging and scratching down at the bottom of the talent pool for late-round draft picks and free-agent types with at least one special quality -- exceptional speed, rare size, an interesting athlete from another sport -- something that catches your eye.

The personnel director should take one scout and turn him loose on the bottom feeders. Close to one whole round in the draft will come from players not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine.

Back in the early 1990s, we came across a player named Matt Willig, a backup defensive tackle at USC who was 6-foot-9. He didn't do much on game tapes and tested below our standards for a defensive tackle, but he could bend his knees and was smart to go along with that 6-9. We signed him about 15 minutes after the draft and moved him to offensive tackle. He spent two years training at the new position and ended up playing in the NFL for well over 10 years.

When you decide to work the bottom of the talent pool, I'm talking about players who did not go to the Combine, probably didn't play in any all-star games, and might have little in the area of production. They can be from big schools or they could be from schools no one has ever heard of.

Here's a list of the kind of guys I'm talking about. The young scout needs to head out on a three-week tour, working out a group like this, talking football with them, watching some tapes and aiming to come back to the office a day or two before the draft with a few nuggets. Remember when Steelers scout Dan Rooney Jr. came back with a running back named Willie Parker? Parker never started at North Carolina but he had rare speed.

And now, here's my "Matt Willig List" for the 2007 draft. The first reaction from a scout I ran the list by was, "These guys can't play." Perfect, that's what everyone said about Willig, so I know I'm on the right track! The goal is to find one late-round pick/free agent who is worth developing as an offensive lineman.

1. Jason Capizzi, Indiana (Pa.) University (6-9, 324 pounds)
Key numbers: 5.22 40-yard dash, 34-inch arms, 11?-inch hands.
Sounds like a Willig clone, and I sure hope he can bend his ankles and knees.
the bending of the ankles and knees and giving up leverage is the weakest part of max starks game. if colon becomes a starter and starks is let go in 08, depending on if capizzi makes the practice squad, he could possibly be a 2nd stringer taking starks spot.