Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Should it stay or go?
NFL Europe should stay 9 56.25%
NFL Europe should disband 2 12.50%
NFL Europe could merge with NFL 2 12.50%
NFL should expand to Asia 3 18.75%
NFL is an American thing, shouldn't go anywhere 7 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default ESPN: NFL Europa on life-support?

P.S. you can choose 2 answers on poll.

================================================== =================

Three days after the Hamburg Sea Hags (Sea Devils) won the NFL Europa championship, uncertainty remains regarding the fate of the NFL's protracted overseas experiment. Talk persists that the NFL will be pulling the plug on the venture.

http://fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/8292

================================================== =================

OK, this is one of the topics that I was itching to talk about. The news itself is pretty short, but you guys can read the blogs following the news.

As for the news, for me, I not only want NFL Europe to stay, I want it to expand and merge it with the NFL. They can totally play during the regular season. It'll get more interesting and competitive. Besides we've got so many young American athletes that are competing in so small market, I think. I don't remember where I read it, but someone was saying they can add at least 1 conference in the NFL including Canadian, Mexican, and European teams. I thought it was very reasonable.

And not just that, I also want more. I want NFL Asia. Indian, Chinese, Japanes, Korean, and what the heck even possibly Mongolian team. I know many of you guys think this is just plain silly, but that's just what I dream about.

Remember, whatever you answer is I won't take it as upsetting, and I'll always be Steelers FAN!

Last edited by SteelersMongol; 06-27-2007 at 01:33 AM. Reason: add
SteelersMongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: ESPN: NFL Europa on life-support?

NFL is an American sport - I want it to stay that way.

Im happy to see the odd game come over to Europe - Germany especially deserve some consideration as they follow the sport in a pretty big way.

I don't think European teams will ever be able to compete with their American rivals because we already have enough sports that we regard as part of our culture - Soccer, Rugby etc

And I don't think many Europeans will pay to watch a sub-standard equivalent of the NFL.

Its prety much the same argument, in reverse, that condemns soccer to be a 2nd class citizen in American sport for as long as they continue to persevere with it.

On the flipside, at least they could call it a World Championship with some legitimacy were this ever to happen.

So my vote?

Keep NFL Europe for as long as German fans continue to buy into the product but keep the NFL American - its a National sport, not an International one.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Leave Europa exactly the way it is. Hamburg couldn't beat the worst team in the NFL because every guy on that roster can't make an NFL team and that is why they are over there. It is good for Germany since they take easily to American culture compared to other European countries, but it is big enough as is. Europa was never meant to be an overly serious league, to be honest, it is there more to test new rules and ideas out than anything else so that they don't have to be experimented with here. It is really nice that they get some football close to them over there, but the league is a joke here as far as most people are concerned. No one that can make a real teams roster would want to go play for any team over there.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

NFL Europe is also useful for player development. There have been some good players in the NFL who probably wouldn't be playing today if they hadn't been able to get some game time in Europe. Jake Delhomme, Vinateri, and a few others come to mind.

You just have to look at it as kind of a farm system. You don't go to a AAA game to see Major Leauge baseball. It's just not the same but that doesn't mean it isn't fun.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I want to watch football this time of the year, but I have a hard time watching those games. No matter how hard I try to convince myself it's really football.

I guess its something to do with the fact that you never heard of the majority of the players. I think it needs to stay the way it is. There is no way any of those teams could compete with the NFL.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

They play football in Europe? Since when? That sounds cool.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
They play football in Europe? Since when? That sounds cool.

Tom
Yeah.

A good few years back I remember we had 'football' in England - the London Monarchs to be precise.

Check out the helmet - I thought it was pretty clever design.

Reading the Wikipedia entry it seems odd that the average attendance for a Monarchs game was about 40k - they won the World Bowl - and then attendances dropped right off!

We can't even bandwagon right over here!!

I remember there were teams from Alabama and Orlando and even NY/NJ.

It was a fun concept but they only ever gave it a highlights package on saturday morning.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Yeah.

A good few years back I remember we had 'football' in England - the London Monarchs to be precise.

Check out the helmet - I thought it was pretty clever design.

Reading the Wikipedia entry it seems odd that the average attendance for a Monarchs game was about 40k - they won the World Bowl - and then attendances dropped right off!

We can't even bandwagon right over here!!

I remember there were teams from Alabama and Orlando and even NY/NJ.

It was a fun concept but they only ever gave it a highlights package on saturday morning.
Maybe the NFL Euro League can work up your way and you can have an NFL Euro league team to cheer for LITP.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Maybe the NFL Euro League can work up your way and you can have an NFL Euro league team to cheer for LITP.
I would only ever cheer for an English team - in most sports over here we are big rivals with our European brothers.

Its also not that easy to identify with a team when they have next to no English players.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I would only ever cheer for an English team - in most sports over here we are big rivals with our European brothers.

Its also not that easy to identify with a team when they have next to no English players.
Politically Europe=Calm

Athetlically Europe=MASS CHAOS!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote