Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts
Default Roethlisberger shares insight at W&M

its time for bens weekly discussion about cowher :

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-...p-sports-local

Quote:
QB looks forward to a fresh start under Denbigh graduate Mike Tomlin.
BY DAVE FAIRBANK
247-4637
June 27, 2007
WILLIAMSBURG -- Ben Roethlisberger has a message for Pittsburgh Steelers fans who viewed last season as cause to take a header off of the Alcoa Building: Relax.

Don't misunderstand. The Steelers' quarterback wasn't happy with 8-8 and missing the playoffs, either. But 2006 wasn't the disaster, he said, that some Seven Hills devotees would have you believe.

"In my book, it's unsatisfactory for me because I want to be the best and I, obviously, want to win another Super Bowl," Roethlisberger said Tuesday at William and Mary's annual Colonial All-Pro Football Camp.

"But it wasn't a complete failure," he said. "It wasn't like we didn't win any games or something like that. It's the expectations, because of the first two years that I had, and there's also the expectations of Steeler fans. We've got so many fans around the country and they want us to win the Super Bowl every year."

Roethlisberger said that Hall of Famers Dan Marino and Jim Kelly -- Pittsburgh guys who know a thing or two about success and failure -- told him that there won't be touchdowns and parades every year.

They told him, he said, "Don't let anybody get you down, because you'll probably have a losing season, and I haven't even had one yet. There's going to be another bad season somewhere along the way. Hopefully, there's not many of them, but there's going to be some. So it's just something that you take into consideration."

Roethlisberger understands that he helped create some of the expectations. He won his first 13 starts as a rookie in 2004 and the Steelers won 27 of his first 31 games as the starter.

The former Miami of Ohio star was the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, and he went to the AFC Championship game each of his first two years.

But coming off of the Steelers' fifth Super Bowl victory in 2006, Roethlisberger was involved in a near-fatal motorcycle accident last June. He had an emergency appendectomy the first week of the season. He suffered a concussion last October.

Last season, the Steelers got off to a 2-6 start. Roethlisberger threw seven interceptions before his first touchdown pass.

Although his passing yardage was up from his first two years -- 3,513 yards, compared with 2,385 the Super Bowl season -- he threw more interceptions (23) than touchdowns (18). His completion percentage was down several points, and his quarterback rating (75.4) was 23 points lower than each of his first two seasons.

As Roethlisberger prepares for his fourth NFL season, he and the Steelers embark on a new era, under head coach Mike Tomlin. The 35-year-old Newport News native is just the franchise's third head coach in the past 38 years, following Bill Cowher and the legendary Chuck Noll.

"I think Coach Tomlin is a good change for us ," Roethlisberger said. "People always worry that change is bad . Well, I don't think change is bad in this instance. I think that Coach Tomlin is a good guy. He's really going to work hard. He's got a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of excitement. I think that's good for us."

Tomlin was the surprise choice last January after Cowher resigned at the end of the season. Five months later, Roethlisberger bounced around the same Zable Stadium field where Tomlin starred as a William and Mary wide receiver 13 years earlier.

"From what I've seen so far -- I know it's early, we know the bullets haven't started flying yet -- so far he kind of has more fun," Roethlisberger said, comparing the two men. "He seems to smile a lot more than Coach Cowher did. Obviously Cowher had the reputation of being 'The Chin' and 'The Frown' and the scary guy all the time.

"But what I like best, and what a lot of guys do, is that he's (Tomlin) around. You see him around the offense , you see him with the quarterbacks , you see him with the tight ends , you see him with everybody and not just the defense , and I think that's important for everybody to see. "
good article. bens head is in a much better place this season and he definitely doesnt seem to be lacking any confidence form last season. and it is good to know he likes the new coach. lol
Old 06-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Roethlisberger shares insight at W&M

And a little bit of for good measure.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

One thing I was unclear on is if Ben made the chin and frown comment or that was the writer. I didn't see a quote at the end of the sentence.

I too am glad the players are liking the new coach. I just hope they respect him as well! (And I think they do)
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Nice article and I don't think he is taking shot at Cowher at all...I think he is just commenting that he likes Coach Tomlin so far and noticing the differences between Cowher/Tomlin....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Good job Ben!!!

I love you!!!

One time, I had a weally, weally, weally mean football coach in highschool who never smiled or treated me the way I was suppose to be treated and I told my daddy on him. Then we got a new football coach who smiled all the time. He even brought us to McDonalds after the games and got us all Happy Meals!!!

"IT WAS GREAT LADY!!! YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!"

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-27-2007 at 04:49 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
tony hipchest

^^^^^lol^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebus36 View Post
One thing I was unclear on is if Ben made the chin and frown comment or that was the writer. I didn't see a quote at the end of the sentence.

I too am glad the players are liking the new coach. I just hope they respect him as well! (And I think they do)
i musta deleted a quotation mark cause NFL channels "total access" just opened the show with bens comments and he definitely said it.

the offense is filled with alot of young potential stars and i think its good theyre receiving so much attention from the head coach. ive always believed a great head coach is involved in all aspects of the game. i think thats something that has made belichick so successful, and the transition easier when the patriots lost coordinators such as crennell, weiss, and mangina.

we never really heard much about cowhers coaching style. i just accepted that he was good. at times i thought he micromanaged too much and at other times i wondered if he delegated too much. tomlins style seems to bee pretty much on the table, although i dont think hes doing too much of stepping on lebeaus toes. bens commentary is providing some good insight.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ive always believed a great head coach is involved in all aspects of the game. i think thats something that has made belichick so successful, and the transition easier when the patriots lost coordinators such as crennell, weiss, and mangina.
And he must always have a smile on his face even if it means slipping high doses of LSD in his gatorade. That's key. Here's a perfect example, Chuck Noll was always smiling and was always willing to stroke big ego's in order to keep his player content.

One time, Jack Lambert was crying on the sidelines during practice because he hurt his thumb....or was it his toe? Anyways, Chuck went up to him, told him to take the week off and sent him a box of chocolates and a get well card. That's what made Chuck Noll a great HC in my book.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
And he must always have a smile on his face even if it means slipping high doses of LSD in his gatorade. That's key. Here's a perfect example, Chuck Noll was always smiling and was always willing to stroke big ego's in order to keep his player content.

One time, Jack Lambert was crying on the sidelines during practice because he hurt his thumb....or was it his toe? Anyways, Chuck went up to him, told him to take the week off and sent him a box of chocolates and a get well card.
i hope these players dont get a false sense of security from "smilin mike". i have a feeling hes just chomping at the bit to drop the hammer on these players ass if they start screwing up and losing games.

he just strikes me as someone who can be nice and sweet without pads in the early stages, but once these players start f- ing up, and making him look bad, and costing games, he will turn into one mean mutha------.

i think tomlin has done a pretty good job warning the team that camp wont be all fun and games, farts and giggles. these players better buy in...(which i think they are). whats suprising is the youngsters seem to be buying in quicker than the vets.

i wonder if thats because theyre "young, dumb, full of come", and the veterans realize this is just the "calm before the storm".
Old 06-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i hope these players dont get a false sense of security from "smilin mike". i have a feeling hes just chomping at the bit to drop the hammer on these players ass if they start screwing up and losing games.

he just strikes me as someone who can be nice and sweet without pads in the early stages, but once these players start f- ing up, and making him look bad, and costing games, he will turn into one mean mutha------.

i think tomlin has done a pretty good job warning the team that camp wont be all fun and games, farts and giggles. these players better buy in...(which i think they are). whats suprising is the youngsters seem to be buying in quicker than the vets.

i wonder if thats because theyre "young, dumb, full of come", and the veterans realize this is just the "calm before the storm".
Tony...and this is just my opinion, I think Mr. Tomlin definately has a mean streak in him. Going by his comments last month(?) I don't see him putting up with any B.S. no matter how much a player is kissing his culo at this point in time.

They can get a false sense of security if they would like, but I have a feeling they will learn the hard way. As I've stated already, the guy has said and done all the right things up to this point and I'm definately pumped to see him come regular season.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

What's your impression of the guy Tony?