Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #31
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: 2007 Season Editions of Pirates Notebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
I'm liking Kata in relief of Bautista during his DL spell.

I'd like to see some more moves before the deadline, but I doubt we can get the starter relief we are looking for for Castillo...
At least until the off-season.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #32
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07206/804183-63.stm

Pirates Notebook: Perez 'sure' he would have succeeded in Pittsburgh

Wednesday, July 25, 2007
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NEW YORK -- Oliver Perez, who will face his old team tomorrow for the first time since the Pirates peddled him away, has heard the three-step theory:

1. Poorly performing player leaves Pittsburgh.

2. Player finds enlightenment.

3. Player becomes good.

But he does not buy it, at least in his case.

Asked yesterday in the New York clubhouse if he would be pitching as well for the Pirates as he is for the first-place Mets this season -- 9-6 record, 3.00 ERA, 99 strikeouts in 108 innings -- he replied quickly and emphatically, "Yes, for sure. I'm sure of that. You see a lot of players in the majors who have a bad year, then a good one."

He then pointed back to his career year with the Pirates: "I pitched well in 2004, and I was in Pittsburgh. I could do it again."

So, what was it that transformed him? At this time a year ago, the Pirates demoted him to Class AAA Indianapolis after he went 2-10 with a 6.63 ERA. On July 31, he and reliever Roberto Hernandez were dealt to the Mets for outfielder Xavier Nady.

"I was just thinking too much those last two years in Pittsburgh," Perez replied. "I was putting too much pressure on myself. Then, they sent me down ... and traded me. It was not easy."

He paused.

"But I came here, and there were a lot of guys with experience, guys who have been in my situation. They just told me to believe in myself. Just play baseball. Enjoy it. And that's what I did. I feel now how I did in 2004."

Right. But, again, he was asked, how did his pitching improve? Some have credited New York's highly reputed pitching coach, Rick Peterson, for harnessing Perez's mechanics and creating a fresh level of consistency.

Perez shrugged that off, too.

"It's not something he told me about mechanics. He just told me to believe in myself, to believe in every pitch, and everything would be OK."

And the velocity that has made a lively comeback?

"I just feel more comfortable, so I'm throwing harder. But it's still not about that. It's about the pitches that I'm making. I'm locating the fastball and changing speeds. I feel like a pitcher right now. I'm not just throwing."

This much is clear as can be: Perez is eager for tomorrow.

"It's great to see my old teammates, and it will be fun to pitch against them."

Jays deny Wilson interest

Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi told the Canadian Press the Blue Jays are not trying to trade for Pirates shortstop Jack Wilson.

"We have absolutely no interest in Jack Wilson," Ricciardi said. "None."

What Ricciardi did not make clear was if that meant the Blue Jays are not pushing for Wilson now or, as previously divulged, that they plan to pursue him in the offseason.

Ricciardi reiterated that his plan is to keep intact his current group, which remains in the American League playoff hunt. That group includes shortstop Royce Clayton, 37, who Ricciardi might not want to have distracted for the rest of the season by hearing about Wilson.

"I like our team," Ricciardi said. "I feel strongly about it."

Tracy: Kata earned it

Matt Kata was at third base for a fourth consecutive game last night, this after Pirates manager Jim Tracy had said early last week that, in Jose Bautista's absence, Jose Castillo would fill that void.

"It's not about any type of punishment, and it doesn't have anything to do with Jose Castillo," Tracy said before the game. "We put Matt Kata out there on Friday, and he had a hit, then he had a couple more and a couple more ... when you're desperately searching for offense, how can you justify not playing him?"

Buried treasure

Injured starter Zach Duke, who began long-tossing Monday in Bradenton, Fla., will stay with that program for about two weeks.

Center fielder Chris Duffy, rehabilitating a sprained ankle, has begun light, straight-ahead running, but he still is not feeling strength or stability in it.

Bautista will have the stitches removed from his cut left today, but there is no timetable for him to begin swinging a bat.

Utilityman Don Kelly cleared waivers and will join Indianapolis today.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #33
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07207/804606-63.stm

Pirates Notebook: Snell's remarks cause little stir

Thursday, July 26, 2007

NEW YORK -- "Baby Sheff."

That is Pirates reliever Shawn Chacon's new nickname for starter Ian Snell after Snell's recent string of controversial comments about the team and its losing ways.

"He's like Gary Sheffield," Chacon said, referring to the Detroit Tigers' slugger. "He just says whatever comes to mind, and he wears his emotions on his sleeve. But he's also young and inexperienced."

Yes, Snell knows about the nickname.

"Told him last week," Chacon said, grinning.

OK, so Chacon, Snell's best friend on the roster, can deal with it by joking.

How about the other players?

After the 8-4 loss Tuesday to the New York Mets, Snell publicly criticized the defense behind him in a four-run inning and openly questioned whether or not he was the only player troubled by the Pirates' dismal play since the All-Star break.

How did that get received?

"Ian's a great kid, and he means well," reliever Salomon Torres said. "But he does let his emotions get in the way a little bit, and some people might misunderstand what he's saying. But I don't think there's any ill feeling in any direction. He might regret something, and he'll come in and apologize the next day. He understands that he might have gone too far."

"Every team's got one of those outspoken guys, and you've got to kind of take things for what they're worth," left fielder Jason Bay said. "Usually, if he says something that's controversial or offends somebody, he'll apologize the next day. I love how competitive he is. We all do. It's better to have that than a guy who doesn't care. But he's probably going to have to learn to channel it a little better."

Often, Chacon said, he or other players among the team's leadership will talk to Snell, urging him to make sure -- as almost all sports teams do -- that internal matters remain internal.

This latest occasion, apparently, will be no exception.

"We've talked about it, and there's no doubt that you don't throw your teammates under the bus," Chacon said. "I knew he was mad about the defense during the game, but that's not something you say to the newspaper. I'll let him know about that."

Dodgers taking a look

The Los Angeles Dodgers have been scouting the Pirates' games in the past week. Though there is no specific information as to their pursuit, the Dodgers are seeking bullpen help, and the Pirates are offering as much as anyone: Damaso Marte, Torres and possibly Chacon if no contract is signed soon.

Los Angeles has a wealth of young players it is open to discussing, among them third baseman Andy LaRoche, brother of the Pirates' Adam LaRoche.

Armas rebounding

Tony Armas had perhaps the most forgettable first half of any pitcher in Major League Baseball, but he quietly has put together a fine July.

In five relief appearances this month, which includes one last night, he has a 0.00 ERA and has given up two hits and a walk in 10 1/3 innings. Most impressive for a guy who seldom got a swing and a miss in the first half: He has nine strikeouts.

"His command is better and his delivery, too," manager Jim Tracy said. "You see more life to the ball in the hitting area and, suddenly, we're seeing swings and misses."

Pitching coach Jim Colborn and bullpen coach Bobby Cuellar worked extensively with Armas in June, and Armas gave them credit.

"But it still comes down to confidence," Armas said. "I'm feeling really good now, and that makes the difference."

Buried treasure

Jose Castillo was back at third base after Matt Kata started four games there.

Tracy, on Oliver Perez's resurgence with the Mets: "When he's throwing strikes, he's tough. We saw that a few times last season when he was with us. He's capable, no doubt about it."

Old 07-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #34
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07208/804749-63.stm

Pirates Notebook: Torres' grievance could affect trade

Friday, July 27, 2007

NEW YORK -- A trade of reliever Salomon Torres might be a messy proposition.

The grievance he filed against the Pirates in March, one in which he complained that the team deceived him when negotiating his contract in the spring of 2006, calls for that contract to be voided if he wins his case. If that happens, of course, Torres would be a free agent.

That means any team acquiring Torres, in theory, could lose him whenever the grievance is settled.

One way around such an issue could be for the Pirates to pay Torres the $1.5 million he feels he is owed, thus canceling the grievance. But there have been no talks toward a settlement since the team, according to Torres offered him additional bonus incentives several months ago.

Torres has maintained that Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield led him to believe the team would lease one of his two baseball academies in the Dominican Republic and, as a result, he signed a two-year, $6.5 million extension that he feels was $1.5 million below market value.

Littlefield has declined comment on the grievance, other than to say he engaged in the talks in a "professional" manner.

Gorzelanny status quo

Starter Tom Gorzelanny's stiff left shoulder felt no different than it usually does the day after a game, he said yesterday, offering another sign that he has no significant injury.

Gorzelanny was forced to exit in the third inning Tuesday because of the stiffness.

He will do some long-tossing this afternoon in Philadelphia, after which the Pirates will determine the next step. For now, he is expected to make his next start.

Still no Chacon talks

The Pirates had told reliever Shawn Chacon they would let him know by this week if they would agree to his request to negotiate a contract extension, but he still had not heard from them as of yesterday.

Given that apparent lack of urgency on the team's part, as well as the time necessary to discuss the multiyear contract that would be needed to keep Chacon from entering free agency after the season, it is increasingly likely that the Pirates will try to trade Chacon by Major League Baseball's Tuesday deadline.

Chacon is making $3.85 million, and it will take a raise on that salary to keep him.

Johnny V. Goode?

John Van Benschoten, skipped Sunday after going 0-4 with an 8.17 ERA in his first six starts, might be getting his final chance to stay in the rotation when he takes the mound tonight in Philadelphia.

He has had four side sessions with pitching coach Jim Colborn, which manager Jim Tracy tentatively described as productive.

"The reports are good," Tracy said. "We'll see how that translates to throwing strikes in the game."

The focus of Colborn's sessions was addressing a forward lean and inconsistencies in hip movement.

"I feel better," Van Benschoten said. "But it's a lot of work, taking that much in all at once."

Buried treasure

The Pirates' catchers have not caught a runner trying to steal since July 4. Opponents have stolen 14 bases since then, including one by Jose Reyes yesterday.

More indications that Jason Bay is out of his six-week slumber: His two-out RBI single yesterday gave him eight RBIs in the past five games, a span in which he has gone 6 for 17.

How impatient are the Pirates at the plate? Consider that they have walked only 12 times in the past 10 games, including one yesterday by, of all people, Jose Castillo.

Forgoing air travel for one trip, the Pirates bused to Philadelphia after the game.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #35
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07210/805335-63.stm

Pirates Notebook: Starting rotation changes in works

Sunday, July 29, 2007
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHILADELPHIA -- The Pirates yesterday made the following changes:

Removed pitcher John Van Benschoten from their rotation, sending him to Class AAA Indianapolis for more work.

Delayed Tom Gorzelanny, skipping his turn early this week and giving his stiff left shoulder a little precautionary rest until a scheduled Saturday start.

Inserted Tony Armas, if only temporarily, into Van Benschoten's vacated spot Wednesday.

And kept mum about who would replace Van Benschoten on the roster -- another pitcher from the minors, a trade/move in the works, or what?

"We'll have somebody here Sunday," Pirates manager Jim Tracy said before last night's game at Citizens Bank Park, waged with one player less than the 25-man limit. "I don't want to say too much about that right now."

Tracy, however, was willing to discuss the tinkering with a rotation part and parcel of the 2-11 skid they carried into last night.

Van Benschoten (0-5) seemingly cried out for a change, having lost three consecutive decisions in which he allowed five-plus runs and never escaped the third inning. He yielded 21 earned runs in six innings in his past three starts. After giving up seven earned runs in an 8-1, seven-inning loss Friday night, the Pirates' 2001 first-round selection frustratingly admitted that it was a career-low moment.

So yesterday, barely 16 hours later, Tracy, Van Benschoten and pitching coach Jim Colborn huddled together and mapped out the next few steps. The first involved Van Benschoten returning to Indianapolis, where he planned to drive today from Pittsburgh.

"Just results. Producing results. That's what we're all looking for," Van Benschoten said. He added, pointing toward the field of his Friday nightmare, "exactly the opposite of that."

Van Benschoten, 27, agreed with Tracy's solution that a major-league bullpen was no place for him to attempt to work out of his funk. Both talked about what Van Benschoten described as "that two-year hangover," the January 2005 shoulder surgery that limited him to a total of five games the past two seasons. "Hopefully, I'll get it back by the end of the year," he said.

"We feel, obviously, Johnny V needs regularity," Tracy said. "What he's got going on and what he needs to work out, and he needs the bullpen [sessions] between starts. ... He's shown us pitches that definitely can compete at this level. But the consistency of them is far and few between."

Gorzelanny, meantime, needed precaution and a shade more rest, Tracy said. The bullpen session that initially was to determine his fitness was pushed back a day, until today, and his turn in the rotation was skipped. He is scheduled to start again Saturday against Cincinnati at PNC Park. Gorzelanny exited early from his most recent start, mentioning that shoulder stiffness, and appeared Friday to be hesitant about throwing a bullpen session.

"Obviously, this is a pretty special arm we're talking about here," Tracy said. "It's in the best interest of everybody to [shuffle the rotation and move him back three days or so]." He added that Colborn and Gorzelanny will have a bullpen session today, "and see where he's at."

Armas started seven games early this season, resulting in an 0-3 mark and a bloated ERA. Working on the side with Colborn, then working from the bullpen to the point where he allowed just one run in 12 relief innings, Armas is far more confident in taking what Tracy described as a rotation test run against St. Louis.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #36
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07211/805512-63.stm

Pirates Notebook: Bayliss used demotion to concentrate on his focus

Monday, July 30, 2007
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHILADELPHIA -- Upon returning to the Pirates yesterday from a monthlong Class AAA stint, Jonah Bayliss wore a small smile and a T-shirt that read "I hope you like animals, 'cause I'm a beast."

And he reported that the Indianapolis assignment did wonders for one particular piece of anatomy.

"My mind," Bayliss said. "That basically was my biggest problem, because I was beating myself up. To me, my struggles were never really mechanical. In my opinion, my struggles were based-- I don't want to say completely ... almost entirely on the mental aspect. Putting myself in a hole. Beating myself up about it. And not being able to get out."

"I think the big thing with Jonah is, he needs to trust his stuff," added Pirates manager Jim Tracy.

That's what happened last September, when Bayliss had a stretch of four consecutive scoreless outings.

"He was throwing strikes and challenging and going after the bat," Tracy said.

Bayliss rejoined the Pirates at Citizens Bank Park yesterday, the morning after John Van Benschoten was returned to Indianapolis to work out his pitching problems -- three losses in a row, all while allowing five or more runs and failing to last the third inning.

Tracy explained that Bayliss will slip into the bullpen role previously occupied by Tony Armas, who, for the time being, slips into the rotation spot previously occupied by Van Benschoten.

"It's an opportunity to ease him back in and see where he's at," Tracy said.

Bayliss opened this season with the Pirates, but was sent to Indianapolis June 24 after crafting a 4-3 record with a 7.53 ERA. Opponents were batting .315 against him.

In Class AAA, he went 3-2 with a 6.46 ERA and struck out 11 batters in 151/3 innings.

After spending 46 games and saving half of those last season in Indianapolis, he felt at ease in his return to the Indians, manager Trent Jewett and pitching coach Jeff Andrews.

"It was kind of refreshing to go back to an environment you were a lot more comfortable with," Bayliss said. "In a way, I just got back to the basics."

No word on Chacon

Potential free-agent pitcher Shawn Chacon and his agent still hadn't heard from the Pirates about a new contract, what with the trade deadline just hours away.

"I'm wondering ... obviously trade-wise what's going to happen," Chacon said after throwing two-thirds of a troublesome eighth inning, recording both outs by strikeout, allowing two earned runs and seeing his ERA rise to 3.72. "I haven't thought about it two much because I don't want it to be a distraction.

"But it's there."

The Gorzo report

In the continuing saga of starter Tom Gorzelanny and his once-stiff left shoulder, he didn't throw a bullpen session yesterday as tentatively scheduled. In fact, Gorzelanny -- whose next start was pushed back at least three days to Saturday -- merely did some long tossing yesterday.

He is prepared to do bullpen throwing today at PNC Park, on the team's off day, as well as Wednesday.

"Yeah, I'm feeling better," said Gorzelanny, whose latest outing ended early because of stiffness.

Bill Robinson dies

Former Pirate Bill Robinson, a McKeesport native who played for the team from 1975-82, died yesterday of unknown causes. He was 64. Robinson, an Elizabeth Forward High School graduate who was the Los Angeles Dodgers' minor-league hitting coordinator, played 16 years in the major leagues. See Obituary.

Buried treasure

Pirates relievers will be glad to return to the confines of PNC Park for this six-game homestand. The bullpen has collected a 0.98 ERA and yielded just four earned runs in its past 12 games (362/3 innings) at home. Opponents have batted .202 (26 for 129) without a home run in that span.

A stolen base by Shane Victorino marked the 15th consecutive successful steal against Pirates catchers, who last threw out a would-be stealer July 4.

Third baseman Jose Bautista, rehabilitating a cut hand, may start a rehab assignment by facing Gulf Coast League rookie pitching this week if his batting practices with the Bradenton staff progress, Tracy said.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #37
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07213/805934-63.stm

Pirates Notebook: Chacon still 'open' to staying

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Shawn Chacon, one of the Pirates' three relievers who surprisingly stayed put at the trading deadline yesterday, took it as a sign that he could be staying put for quite a while.

"I take it to mean that they want to try to work out an extension and keep me here," Chacon said shortly after the clubhouse clock passed the 4 p.m. deadline. "And I know I'd still like to stay."

Chacon informed the Pirates early last month that he would welcome a contract extension in lieu of pursuing free agency in the coming offseason. Management replied by telling him that he would have a response on that by last week, but he has yet to hear from anyone.

Still, he was adamant yesterday that there was no change in his stance, even with the trade deadline gone and free agency the next step in sight.

"I'm still open to anything," Chacon said. "Obviously, the later we go, the less the chance. But I'm still open."

General manager Dave Littlefield has declined comment on the possibility of extending Chacon.

Until yesterday, Chacon was the Pirates' top-paid pitcher at $3.85 million.

Bautista coming back

Third baseman Jose Bautista will rejoin the Pirates today, about a week or two sooner than expected, after his cut left hand -- from a July 14 sliding mishap -- responded well to one minor-league rehabilitation game, Monday with Bradenton of the Gulf Coast League.

A player will be removed from the 25-man roster, probably third baseman Matt Kata.

Gorzelanny upbeat

Starter Tom Gorzelanny, skipping a start because of his stiff left shoulder, should take his next turn in the coming weekend, manager Jim Tracy said.

He had a pain-free long-toss session Monday and could pitch off a mound as early as tomorrow.

"I feel great," Gorzelanny said. "I'm ready."

Buried treasure

Starter Ian Snell was fined $2,000 by Major League Baseball for his July 18 postgame remarks in which he threatened retaliation against the Colorado Rockies for purportedly stealing signs. Snell apologized to Colorado manager Clint Hurdle the next day.

The logical candidate to be bumped from the rotation is Tony Armas, the scheduled starter tonight, but that has not been determined.

The Pirates signed center fielder Peter Bergeron, who spent parts of 1999-2004 with the Montreal Expos, to a minor-league contract and assigned him to Class AA Altoona.

Outfielder Rajai Davis, on going to San Francisco in time to witness Barry Bonds' home run chase: "It's going to be just awesome. I can't wait to be part of history. But the bigger thing is that I'm getting a chance, and I'm really excited about that."

Cesar Izturis, playing third base last night for the first time since joining the Pirates, had another new wrinkle: He took outfielder Nate McLouth's No. 3, his usual number, and McLouth took Izturis' No. 13.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #38
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07215/806618-63.stm

Pirates Notebook: Jocketty could be candidate for CEO

Friday, August 03, 2007
By Paul Meyer, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates do not have a complete list of candidates for their soon-to-be vacant CEO position, but it's possible Walt Jocketty is or will be on it.

"I can't comment on that," Jocketty, the senior vice-president/general manager of the St. Louis Cardinals, said yesterday. "It's the first I've heard of it."

Jocketty's name has surfaced with greater frequency than other names when industry sources are asked about potential Pirate CEO candidates.

The Pirates do not have a timetable for interviews of candidates to succeed Kevin McClatchy, who announced July 6 he would step down as CEO at the end of this season.

Morris arrives

Matt Morris, scheduled to make his Pirates debut tomorrow night against Cincinnati, joined the team yesterday morning after a flurry of "to-do list" things that had to be done.

"I'd never been traded before," said Morris, acquired Tuesday from San Francisco for outfielder Rajai Davis and a player to be named. "I was kind of overwhelmed. My wife's seven months pregnant, and she has the doctor in San Francisco."

So a lot had to be done in a short time.

"But, in a couple of days, it will feel like I've been here a long time," Morris said.

Morris was a standout starter for the Cardinals before going to San Francisco as a free agent.

"With us, he learned from guys like Darryl Kile about how to be a leader on a pitching staff," Jocketty said. "He was always a guy we felt was good with young pitchers and led on the mound and off the mound. He was a guy who would provide whatever assistance and advice he could with young pitchers."

"I'm encouraged to see us have a guy like this," Pirates manager Jim Tracy said. "He has a track record not only between the lines but off the field, too. He has some things to offer these young guys that can enhance them and move them along. It's tough to get a guy like this."

Wilson deal still on table

A trade of Jack Wilson to Detroit continued to seem viable yesterday, even though the non-waiver trading deadline passed Tuesday. The deal could be made through waivers. It's almost a certainty the Tigers would claim the shortstop off waivers, then a deal could be worked out.

As of late yesterday afternoon, it did not appear Wilson had been put on waivers.

A report from Detroit indicated the Pirates and Tigers had completed a Wilson trade early this week in which the Tigers would have picked up all of Wilson's remaining contract money -- in excess of $14 million.

"We had a deal," a source said.

The Pirates would have received Dallas Trahern or Jair Jurrjens -- both 21-year-old right-handed pitchers -- and a mid-level position player prospect. That deal apparently collapsed when the Pirates asked for a major-league player, perhaps outfielder Craig Monroe.

A stunner

Seattle and St. Louis both tried to land Morris before the trade deadline Tuesday. That the Pirates swept in and took all of Morris' contract money stunned at least a few baseball people.

One front-office person told ESPN.com: "That move is so far out of left field [that] it's in the Monongahela."

Buried treasure

To make room on the 25-man roster for Morris, the Pirates designated infielder Matt Kata for assignment. He likely will wind up back at Class AAA Indianapolis.

Altoona outfielder Andrew McCutchen raised his batting average to .253 Wednesday. That's his high-water mark of the season. McCutchen through Wednesday night had hit .313 since July 1.

Today

The African American Heritage Day Luncheon, beginning at 11:30 a.m. in the PNC Park Lexus Club. Joe Morgan, a 1990 Hall of Fame inductee and color analyst for ESPN's "Sunday Night Baseball," will be the keynote speaker. Proceeds will benefit Pirates Charities and the Joe Morgan Youth Foundation. Tickets are available for $40 per person. Contact Winifred Torbert at (412) 325-4731.

Josh Gibson Replica Statue Giveaway at the game against the Cincinnati Reds. Gibson, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1972, played for the Homestead Grays and Pittsburgh Crawfords.

Tomorrow

Roadway Express "Time of Greatness" Mobile Museum. The traveling museum features historic photos, video, uniforms and other memorabilia illustrating the rich history of Negro League baseball. Former Pirates Chuck Tanner and Bob Robertson will participate in an autograph session at the exhibit. The museum will be in Red Lot 6 on West General Robinson Street. The museum is open from 6-7:30 p.m.

GospelFest on Federal Street with church choirs and soloists performing from 3-6:30 p.m.
Homestead Grays Replica Jersey Giveaway. Fans will receive a No. 20 Homestead Grays jersey honoring Josh Gibson.

African American Community Service Awards presentation. In pregame ceremonies, the Pirates' Community Service Awards will be presented to 11 youth organizations.

Sunday

Children 12 and under receive a Willie Stargell replica jersey in honor of the Pirates Hall of Famer.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #39
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Wilson and Coborn bump heads again, along with Snell.......

Quote:
As Snell exited the field, he and Colborn had a brief but animated exchange at the railing. Snell kept walking, and Colborn kept talking.

Then, in an ironic twist, it was shortstop Jack Wilson, the target of Colborn's dugout ire in that highly publicized incident July 16, who cooled the matter by raising his right forearm across Colborn's chest to keep him from pursuing Snell.

Wilson confirmed he was nothing more than a mediator.

Tracy and Snell each downplayed the matter.

"I don't know what was said," Tracy said when asked if he had concerns about Colborn going after his players in the dugout. "I don't think that he went after him. It looked very brief to me. It was just something said, then walking back in the other direction."

Tracy paused.

"Little things like that, you see that periodically in places besides just here. It's just something that happens. But I didn't see anything that was extended beyond a couple words, turn around and head the other way."

After the previous incident, general manager Dave Littlefield charged Tracy with creating order.

Snell clearly wanted no part of questions on the matter.

"It was nothing," he said.

Asked if everything was OK between him and Colborn, Snell replied, "Everything's fine. Why?"
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07216/806979-63.stm

This team is having a complete break down and Tracy is on planet Neptune. Good job.

I love how they are downplaying it. It looked like to me that it went "beyond a couple words".

That whole coaching staff from the top on down needs to go after this season. And no, I do not want Lloyd freakin' McClendon back. I already listened to a few of those intelligent phone calls on "TNSC".

Oh BTW, they lost 13-4.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #40
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Wilson and Coborn bump heads again, along with Snell.......

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07216/806979-63.stm

This team is having a complete break down and Tracy is on planet Neptune. Good job.

I love how they are downplaying it. It looked like to me that it went "beyond a couple words".

That whole coaching staff from the top on down needs to go after this season. And no, I do not want Lloyd freakin' McClendon back. I already listened to a few of those intelligent phone calls on "TNSC".

Oh BTW, they lost 13-4.
Lloyd as an assistant I'm fine with, Manager, FAILURE!

Nuttings plans to get the pirates in the right direction should be these

1.)Fire Tracy-He's failed miserably.

2.)Fire Littlefield-(See Tracy)

3.)Fire himself-unfortunately he won't do it though.