Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: White House, Cheney's Office Subpoenaed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
There's nothing wrong with a strong executive branch, but there is something VERY wrong with an imperial executive branch. We need a government, not a big brother.
Tom
While I appreciate that sentiment, I believe the only way for this to truly happen is if a neutral party were formed...say, the AMERICAN Party and the individuals that ran on this ticket took a solemn oath to uphold the American Way for the American People not the big business types!

And if they fail to do so, then underoath they would be allowed to either rot in prison or be unmercifully put to death (their choice).

And once the ship is righted, then we could go back to being the World Power we once were!!!! (and no this doesn't mean hostile take overs or things like that - it means protecting our soil and our allies)

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
While I appreciate that sentiment, I believe the only way for this to truly happen is if a neutral party were formed...say, the AMERICAN Party and the individuals that ran on this ticket took a solemn oath to uphold the American Way for the American People not the big business types!

And if they fail to do so, then underoath they would be allowed to either rot in prison or be unmercifully put to death (their choice).

And once the ship is righted, then we could go back to being the World Power we once were!!!! (and no this doesn't mean hostile take overs or things like that - it means protecting our soil and our allies)
There already is an American Party. But the don't appear to understand the concept of seperation of chuch and state!
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Steel Head View Post
There already is an American Party. But the don't appear to understand the concept of seperation of chuch and state!
I was unaware of that party name when I put that one in my message. Then I guess we'd have to name it something else - like THE BLUE COLLAR PARTY! ANd if there's one of those then someone else come up with a name.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
EXCELLENT! ..... Let the blood letting begin. It will be fun watching to watch all the legal wrangling and squirming by the White House trying to get out of this one. Now let's hope the the Dems have the kahuna's to follow through on nailing these corrupt bastages until they're convicted. I hope they bring down this entire corrupt and deciptful GOP administration. Let it be a lesson to our country ..... "reap what you sew" These nimrods should have never been trusted to lead our country to begin with. The only good to come out of this administration is that Bush broke the GOP ticket for the next 20 years. Thanks to him, nobody trusts 'em or respect 'em as leaders.
Oh Lord... Here we go again.

Amazing how people think history began in 2000.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The unfortunate reality is that this issue will always be viewed through partisan glasses. It's pretty clear that al Qaeda is severely crippled. It's also pretty clear that the US government has stepped up its surveillance. It's reasonable to assume that the two are related, and I don't believe I've seen a whole slew of cases of people being illegally tapped and persecuted for it. Nonetheless, here we are.

But if there was an attack post-911, and it was later discovered that there was some kind of FISA tap that could have prevented it, and we DIDN'T wiretap, all the same people who are bitching in this thread at Bush for having them would be bitching at him for not having them.

It's a Catch-22.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The unfortunate reality is that this issue will always be viewed through partisan glasses. It's pretty clear that al Qaeda is severely crippled. It's also pretty clear that the US government has stepped up its surveillance. It's reasonable to assume that the two are related, and I don't believe I've seen a whole slew of cases of people being illegally tapped and persecuted for it. Nonetheless, here we are.

But if there was an attack post-911, and it was later discovered that there was some kind of FISA tap that could have prevented it, and we DIDN'T wiretap, all the same people who are bitching in this thread at Bush for having them would be bitching at him for not having them.

It's a Catch-22.
Gotta agree with you on this one!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Is it a painful? Am I normally that far off?
Old 06-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #18
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh View Post
EXCELLENT! ..... Let the blood letting begin. It will be fun watching to watch all the legal wrangling and squirming by the White House trying to get out of this one. Now let's hope the the Dems have the kahuna's to follow through on nailing these corrupt bastages until they're convicted. I hope they bring down this entire corrupt and deciptful GOP administration. Let it be a lesson to our country ..... "reap what you sew" These nimrods should have never been trusted to lead our country to begin with. The only good to come out of this administration is that Bush broke the GOP ticket for the next 20 years. Thanks to him, nobody trusts 'em or respect 'em as leaders.

By LAURIE KELLMAN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate Judiciary Committee subpoenaed the White House and Vice President Dick Cheney's office Wednesday for documents relating to President Bush's warrantless eavesdropping program.

Also named in subpoenas signed by committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D- Vt., were the Justice Department and the National Security Council. The four parties have until July 18 to comply, according to a statement by Leahy's office.

The committee wants documents that might shed light on internal disputes within the administration over the legality of the program.

"Our attempts to obtain information through testimony of administration witnesses have been met with a consistent pattern of evasion and misdirection," Leahy said in his cover letters for the subpoenas. "There is no legitimate argument for withholding the requested materials from this committee."

Echoing its response to previous congressional subpoenas to former administration officials Harriet Miers and Sara Taylor, the White House gave no indication that it would comply.

"We're aware of the committee's action and will respond appropriately," White House spokesman Tony Fratto said. "It's unfortunate that congressional Democrats continue to choose the route of confrontation."

The showdown between the White House and Congress could land in federal court.

Leahy's committee and its counterpart in the House have issued the subpoenas as part of a sweeping look at how much influence the White House exerts over the Justice Department and its chief, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

The probe, in its sixth month, began with an investigation into whether administration officials ordered the firings of eight federal prosecutors, for political reasons. The House and Senate Judiciary committees previously had subpoenaed Miers, one-time legal counsel, and Taylor, a former political director, in that probe.

But with senators of both parties already concerned about the constitutionality of the administration's efforts to root out terrorism suspects in the United States, the committee shifted to the broader question of Gonzales' stewardship of Justice and, in particular, his willingness to permit the wiretapping program.

Piquing the committee's interest was vivid testimony last month by former Deputy Attorney General James Comey about the extent of the White House's effort to override the Justice Department's objections to the program in 2004.

Comey told the Judiciary Committee that Gonzales, then-White House counsel, tried to get Attorney General John Ashcroft to reverse course and recertify the program. At the time, Ashcroft lay in intensive care, recovering form gall bladder surgery.

Ashcroft refused, as did Comey, to whom Ashcroft had temporarily shifted the power of his office during his illness.

The White House recertified the program unilaterally. Ashcroft, Comey, FBI Director Robert Mueller and their staffs prepared to resign. Bush ultimately relented and made changes to the classified program that the Justice officials had demanded, and the agency eventually recertified it.

The fight was one of the most bitter disputes of the Bush presidency and questions remain over whether the program tramples people's civil rights. The administration says the program is crucial to preventing more terrorist attacks.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
I trust the GOP about as much as I trust the Dems.... not at all.

Both parties suck. Both parties are all about what they can get for themselve's. Both parties are corrupt. POLITICIANS SUCK!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #19
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
I trust the GOP about as much as I trust the Dems.... not at all.

Both parties suck. Both parties are all about what they can get for themselve's. Both parties are corrupt. POLITICIANS SUCK!
DING DING DING we have a winner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #20
Blitzburgh
Banned

Member Number: 2863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
In 2000, I voted for Bush over Gore, with reservations. But I really wanted to believe his message of bipartisanship and healing. In retrospect he lied; his administration has produced the most bitter division in government and among the citizenry that I have seen in my life.

In my opinion Clinton's scandals, both personal and political, are small potatoes next to the blatant power grab and attempt to usurp the Constitution that has been engineered by those around Bush. Those currently in power used a national crisis to try and subtly change the course of our government, to try to set in motion a sea change that would have limited freedom, both socially and economically, for all future Americans.

There's nothing wrong with a strong executive branch, but there is something VERY wrong with an imperial executive branch. We need a government, not a big brother.

Tom

Hell of a good post Tom .... I agree on all accounts.
Blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote