Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
charlie martel
Water Boy

Member Number: 5774
Default Jared Gaither

Is he worth a supplemental pick (we would have to give up a pick next year in the same round as he is taken in the supp draft):

Quote:
Terps' Gaither to Enter Supplemental Draft
Friday, June 29, 2007; Page E04

Maryland tackle Jared Gaither will enter the NFL supplemental draft, leaving the Terrapins after two tumultuous seasons. Gaither made the decision to enter the July 12 draft less than a week after he was ruled academically ineligible for the upcoming season.

"It's a decision he's put a lot of thought into," Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen said in a statement. "He's expressed desire to get his degree, but I think the opportunity to make a living and the chance to be successful at the next level was a deciding factor."

At 6 feet 9 and 350 pounds, Gaither emerged as perhaps the Terrapins' most talented lineman though he had been derailed by a preseason suspension, injuries and academic troubles in his second season in College Park.

Gaither, from White Plains, played just one season of organized football at Eleanor Roosevelt High School. He moved on to Hargrove Military Academy for one year before he joined the Terrapins in 2005.

Gaither started eight games as a freshman in place of injured left tackle Stephon Heyer. He showed his athleticism and potential that season, not allowing a sack. When Heyer returned last season, Gaither moved to right tackle, where he started nine games.

Gaither played in 23 of 24 games in his career at Maryland, including 17 starts.

But he was suspended for a portion of fall camp last season for an undisclosed violation of team rules and his performance was limited near the end of the regular season as he battled nagging injuries. He was excused from spring practice this year to focus on academics.

"This was a decision I came to after sitting down with my family and reviewing my academic situation," Gaither said in a statement.

Gaither could have attempted to regain eligibility for the 2008 season by staying in school. He said he is interested in returning to complete work on a degree. A school spokesman said that Gaither is in the process of selecting an agent.

Gaither became the second starting offensive lineman to leave Maryland early. Guard Donnie Woods announced last December his decision to forgo his senior season to join the military.
From Scout.com:

Quote:
Two-year starter who has played both offensive tackle positions. Attended Hargrave Military Academy upon graduating from high school.

Pos:

King-sized blocker with an immense upside. Powerful at the point, turns defenders off the line or engulfs them altogether. Effectively places his hands into defenders, jolts them at the point and anchors in pass protection. Solid athlete who easily moves about the field. Displays solid footwork and the surprising ability to slide out off the edge.

Neg:

Over-extends into blocks and must improve his playing balance. Not a natural knee bender. Does not show much adjustment.
]
charlie martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Jared Gaither

A little too much baggage - thanks, but no thanks.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,063 Posts

we got 6'9" capizzi as a UDFA. sure he got busted drinking, but we didnt give up a draft pick to take the local guy. not bending at the knees and maintaining leverage is what is hurting starks right now. sounds like trying to replace one problem with the same problem.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

His size and all sounds very tempting, but with the acedemic problems and off the field probs, I would just be kind of scared to go in that direction. Maybe the DB that is available would be more tempting in my eyes.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
we got 6'9" capizzi as a UDFA. sure he got busted drinking, but we didnt give up a draft pick to take the local guy. not bending at the knees and maintaining leverage is what is hurting starks right now. sounds like trying to replace one problem with the same problem.
but his " pro's " sound nothing like ole turnstyle....

immense upside....Powerful ....turns defenders.....engulfs .....Effectively ..... jolts .... anchors .....Solid ....easily moves ....solid footwork .....ability to slide out off the edge

ever heard any of these words or phrases used to descibe fatass???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
but his " pro's " sound nothing like ole turnstyle....

immense upside....Powerful ....turns defenders.....engulfs .....Effectively ..... jolts .... anchors .....Solid ....easily moves ....solid footwork .....ability to slide out off the edge

ever heard any of these words or phrases used to descibe fatass???
Like my momma always told me, fatass is as fatass does.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

But....but we got Max Starks
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
charlie martel
Water Boy

Member Number: 5774

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
His size and all sounds very tempting, but with the acedemic problems and off the field probs, I would just be kind of scared to go in that direction. Maybe the DB that is available would be more tempting in my eyes.

I tend to agree. I wouldn't mind trying him out as a free agent if no one takes him though.
charlie martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

I really wish we would take a shot at Oliver. He's awesome. first round talent no doubt (clowning all over #1's in the SEC). It's always nice to think that the season is going to pan out the way WE hope for it to .... but what if (and just playing a little devils advocate) the situation turns into something like this:

Ike taylor does NOT return to his 05' form (by the way, he was THE MOST THROWN AT QB IN THAT YEAR) ... and McFadden STILL can't crack the starting lineup.

In that case, would you rather have a young potential talent like Oliver on the roster, or not? (esp. if its a steal of a price) ... again this is all just wishful thinking .... but just saying ...

Ofcourse, I believe ike will rebound ... hes got all the tools, just some technique work and confidence coaching (what a better guy to do it than Tomlin who already has been so impressed with Taylor).
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
Ike taylor does NOT return to his 05' form (by the way, he was THE MOST THROWN AT QB IN THAT YEAR) ... and McFadden STILL can't crack the starting lineup.
you say that like its a bad thing. when the games mattered most ike was picking off balls and we won a superbowl

Quote:
Ofcourse, I believe ike will rebound ... hes got all the tools, just some technique work and confidence coaching (what a better guy to do it than Tomlin who already has been so impressed with Taylor
i agree. or tomlin can cut him and tell the rooneys they were fools for giving him his big contract in the 1st place.

my moneys on tomlin, the rooneys, and sb champ ike, as opposed to someone in the supplimental draft. (i'll leave that to the bengals to pin all there hopes on the likes of ahmad brooks. its kinda beneath the steelers)