Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,805 Times in 4,078 Posts
Default Ike Taylor Interview

if he ever develops into as good a player on the field as he is a person off the field we will easilly have a top 5 cb in the league. i think tomlin can make it happen and ike definitely wants it more than us fans:

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=655418

Quote:
Ed Thompson: I want to ask you about one of your teammates, second-year cornerback Anthony Madison who I think is one of the truly good guys on your team. I've had the pleasure of interviewing him a couple of times so far. Tell me what you appreciate the most about Anthony as a player and as a person?

Ike Taylor: He has one speed, and that's to go fast. I like Anthony Madison. I kind of took him under my wing because he's a hard worker, he's an underachiever. I have a two-bedroom condo in Pittsburgh and I actually let him stay there, no rent or anything because I know coming in like he did as a free agent, it's hard to save money, it's hard to live not being a first-rounder. It was hard for me my first year as a fourth-rounder. So with him being a free agent and having the extra stress of trying to make the team, trying to do good and worrying about if he'd have money during the offseason, I didn't want him to go through that. So I just put him up at my place, and he really appreciated it. I'm hard on him all the time, I pick on him all the time. But I just want nothing but the best for him.

ET: When you say you pick on him, what kinds of things do jab at him over?

IT: Just things like if he drops a pass, I tell him he's dropping money. I tell him that's one million you just dropped. And if someone catches a pass on him, I tell him that he can do better. But you know, it's all because I want the best for him. I had that done for me, so I'm now doing the same for some of these younger guys.

ET: Who helped you in that way when you were trying to break into the league, Ike?

IT: I had a good coaching staff -- Coach LeBeau, Coach Ray (Horton), Coach Darren Perry -- and during the offseason, Darren Sharper and Coach Tom Shaw. That's who I train with in the offseason, Coach Tom Shaw, and he's helped me out tremendously. He's working been working with me on my technique. And even our linebackers, James Farrior helped me out a whole bunch -- not just with cornerback, just being an NFL football player, period. Jerome (Bettis) sat me down a couple of times, Joey Porter. I always liked being around the older guys because you learn from them. They've been through it all, they've seen it all. So I just try to pick their brains so that hopefully I can do as well as them.

ET: You mentioned your offseason work with Coach Tom Shaw, who I know has referred to you as a "workaholic" and who has a lot of respect for you. What have you been focusing on during this offseason to get ready for 2007?

IT: Eating right. And I didn't like to stretch, but I'm stretching more and lifting more weights. As far as running and speed, I feel I was blessed with that. I've been doing a little bit more sleeping. You'd be surprised how much sleeping and eating right how much better your body feels. Within four weeks, I felt a difference, so I'm just going to keep that up. And I'm going to pray every night, read a verse from the Bible every day, and try to maintain myself better.

[Scout.com subscribers can listen to the rest of Ike's Scout Radio interview where he talks about what he did during the offseason, what he appreciates about new head coach Mike Tomlin, his thoughts on sixth-round pick William Gay]
Old 06-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
tony hipchest

Default Re: Ike Taylor Interview

http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/654953.html

Quote:

Taylor's Camp Includes Special Message

(Nick Laham/Getty) By Ed Thompson
Scout.com
Posted Jun 27, 2007

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor will be hosting his third annual football camp this Friday near his hometown of New Orleans, Louisiana. And he'll deliver his special "FaceMeIke" message that will undoubtedly touch the lives of close to 200 youngsters that will be in attendance.

It's couldn't be more fitting that a player who has worked hard and overcome adversity throughout his life would return to his hometown -- that is still struggling to get back on it's feet -- to work with youngsters and deliver a special message about dealing with adversity with optimism and confidence.

Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor will be hosting the third annual FaceMeIke Football Camp presented by Cotto & Padovani Financial Strategies Group this Friday, June 29th in the New Orleans area. The event is being held at Camp Corral, the summer camp of Arden Cahill Academy.

Along with some of his teammates from the Steelers, Taylor will be joined by Coach Tom Shaw, the elite NFL trainer who has trained Taylor, 85 NFL first-round draft picks and the last five Super Bowl MVPs.

The 4th- to 8th-grade campers will get the opportunity to learn football skills and while interacting with the players.

“When Ike and his NFL teammates show up to our school it means more to our kids than they will ever know. When someone of that stature takes time to come home it really touches our hearts,” said Mrs. Arden Cahill, Director of Cahill Academy.

Taylor makes sure the event not only teaches the participants about football, but also about an important life lesson that will serve them well as they grow up.

"It's cool when everything goes your way, but some things don't go your way," Taylor said. "It's about facing adversity and things in life that don't always go your way -- how you're going to react, how you're going to respond."

Sharing his outlook on life is a personal mission for Taylor; one that is integrated into his soul based on his own life experiences.

"My life was never easy. I wasn't spoon fed, I had to work hard for what I got," he said. "I come from a strong background with a hard-working family. My mother works hard, my uncle works hard, so nothing was really given to me. That's why I appreciate what I have now even more."

At his website, www.facemeike.com, the message is clear. "Stand up to the pressure. Knock it down. Don't believe the hype. Create your own." He wants the youngsters he shares his time with to walk away from their experience with him knowing that they have the ability to take on any adversity and emerge as a winner in everything that they do, no matter what bumps in the road they may encounter.

When asked what he gets out of the experience, Taylor was quick to put the focus squarely where it belongs.

"This is not for me. This is for the kids," he said. "I like to see the kids' reaction, see their faces. Just trying to bring a smile to these kids, even if it's just for a couple of hours, and helping them build some memories they can draw from later on down the line."
Old 06-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I love reading about Ike, his training scheme for 2007 makes me think he'll be great this season, and leave behind last season's nightmare. On anthony madison what do you guys think about him, he's under Ike's wing so he sure could become great, maybe even replace colclough.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Maybe its just me - but I think Ike should be concentrating on his own career before he starts offering people seminars on how to 'make it'.

He might well be talented, but in terms of the NFL and its fans he is a nobody right now.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,203 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Maybe its just me - but I think Ike should be concentrating on his own career before he starts offering people seminars on how to 'make it'.

He might well be talented, but in terms of the NFL and its fans he is a nobody right now.
I can see your point regarding Ike's anonymity amongst NFL fans as a whole, but I'd rather read about him doing something positive for kids than read about him going to a strip joint and "making it rain."

Last edited by fansince'76; 06-30-2007 at 08:09 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

I think livinginthe past is with that post, I enjoy reading the positive towards team mates and kids, there the future. I would definetely not call him a nobody, everybody has a bad run, looks like he is trying to be positive in his approach, think we need to give Ike a shot, sure didn't see everybody down on him the year before.....when we all wanted him resigned.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

who woulda ever thought taking in a rookie under ones wing and offering constructive advise could draw critisizm? only from a patriots fan

btw how many players is asanti samuel helping out right about now? good luck with that cancer.

just so you know, any player with their head on straight can act as a mentor and give youth camps on their own time, without losing concentration on the task at hand.

in other words, yeah, its just you. i think ike feels pretty good where his "career" is right about now. atleast he will be playing week 1. nobody likes a whiny quitter.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Ike always seemed like someone that would help someone else. Great job on that and good luck with the upcoming season.

~PF43
Old 06-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

LITP,nobody really knew who Asante Samuel was before last year outside of Patriotville.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
who woulda ever thought taking in a rookie under ones wing and offering constructive advise could draw critisizm? only from a patriots fan
I dont know. Maybe you would have to offer the question up to a wider forum than a bunch of Steeler fans to find out if 'only a Patriots fan' would criticise Ike.

Quote:
btw how many players is asanti samuel helping out right about now? good luck with that cancer.
Asante has selflessly allowed everyone on the CB depth chart to move up one place.

Thats a real team player.

Quote:
just so you know, any player with their head on straight can act as a mentor and give youth camps on their own time, without losing concentration on the task at hand.
This is based on what?

How do you know what NFL players can and can't do without losing concentration?

Simple logic tells me that after a poor year a young player should be devoting 100% of his resources into improving the level of his play.

Quote:
in other words, yeah, its just you. i think ike feels pretty good where his "career" is right about now. atleast he will be playing week 1. nobody likes a whiny quitter.
What Asante does or doesn't do has very little effect on my opinion of Ike Taylor - im sure it will be of great consolation to Steeler fans that a Patriots CB is not playing when their own guy gets beat by the same play over and over.

I'd be worried, if I were a Steelers fan, if Ike truly was happy with his career right now - if Cowher was still here he may not even have one in Pittsburgh and certainly not one as a starter.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote