Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Re: Pirate fans: Loyal Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
just remember the pirate fans today are mostly fans of pittsburgh first, baseball, and the tradition of winning, more so than the crap theyve been pushing onto the field for the past 15 years.
Perhaps this is what I was trying to explain the other day when 83-43 and I had a disagreement.

I wasn't surprised last night when I saw the game on TV. The walkout was a poor idea. The best bet for the boycotters is to do just that, boycott. Not to go, like X said.

The truth of it is, the entire thing is going to be a bust. There are too many people who have gone to Pirates games for generations with their families, and their families, and so on.

Its a city of champions and it sucks to have a bad baseball team, but there is WAY too much city pride to abandon the Pirates.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
what they deserve, and what theyve earned is what they have paid for... a major league ball team. the pirate fans deserve a winner.

i'll bash the crappy players and the shitty ownership group, but one thing i wont bash is the people of pittsburgh who get out there and support their team through thick and thin. if everyone had youre attitude you wouldnt have the freaking pittsburgh steelers to root for. they flat out sucked for 40 years. are you gonna rip on all the people who cheered for art rooney before he won anything? sure rooney and nutting are worlds apart but winning is winning and losing is losing and art rooney was a 40 year loser.

yeah, it sucks that the team is sorry but are you gonna call all the locals idiots for being baseball fans and seeking the entertainment they may be used to, or perhaps grew up with? the problem isnt just a pirate problem, its a baseball problem. the game is set up where people like steinbrenner should theoretically be able to buy a championship every single year leaving all other teams on the outside looking in.

just remember the pirate fans today are mostly fans of pittsburgh first, baseball, and the tradition of winning, more so than the crap theyve been pushing onto the field for the past 15 years.

i will be going to a game in about a month. perhaps i should just go piss away my $20 bucks in 3 minutes in a dollar machine at the new slot parlor?
So I'm a bad fan just because I'm sick to death of losing baseball, the boring summers, and wanting the Pirates to win? I was 3 years old the last time the bucs had a winning season. But it's all good because Pittsburgh comes first...always....
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,416 Times in 3,547 Posts

the walk out seemed stupid to me cause the cash was already in nuttings pockets. he could care less if they give him $$$ for free. i agree that those who buy the tickets have no right to bitch if theyre gonna keep feeding the coffers.

who it really sucks for is all the fans who have been turned off of baseball. they deserve a winner just like the loyal fans who still pay. blaming the fans is really barking up the wrong tree. sure they are the ones feeding the monster. it is there loyalty that is being taken advantage of. if the pirates were in los angeles with tons of other distractions and forms of entertainment. the seats would be empty and nutting would be forced to sell. hes taking advantage of the city, and hes taking advantage of the people. that is not the peoples fault.

i guess the boycott is kinda like telling cigarette users and gasoline users to boycott those products because of the extreme price hikes. these companies know its not gonna happen or have an effect on the bottom line. if it does they'll just raise prices some more to keep the profit margins up.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,416 Times in 3,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
So I'm a bad fan just because I'm sick to death of losing baseball, the boring summers, and wanting the Pirates to win? I was 3 years old the last time the bucs had a winning season. But it's all good because Pittsburgh comes first...always....
who said youre a bad fan?

Quote:
i'll bash the crappy players and the shitty ownership group, but one thing i wont bash is the people of pittsburgh who get out there and support their team through thick and thin.
you were the one who said the fans deserve a loser.

its funny to hear all the young pittsburgh fans claim "steelers for life", "win or lose", "steelers til i die", "i bleed black and gold", when all theyve really known is steelers being 1 of the winningest teams, yet these young fans seem to speak the loudest about a boycott and walking out on the pirates team.

the steelers were losers for 40 years, not just 15 years like the pirates have been. yet they suported their team and they were rewarded. now i dont believe that will happen with the pirates anytime soon. rooney is an owner that doesnt even come around once every generation. what i am saing though is pittsburgh isnt full of a bunch of fairweather, bandwaggon jumping fans. pittsburgh fans for the better part are die hards.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

People just need to stop going to games period for things to change....When there is only 500-800 fans in the park then things might change....I remember in the early 90s when the Indians played in front of crowds that small some nights...As long as the Nuttings are not in the red they will continue to put a lesser product on the field

But I won't bash anybody that wants to go to PNC Park....Thats your own choice.... Its a beautiful park....I have been there 5 times myself.....But I won't go anymore until things start to change....The last straw for me was this past draft for the Pirates.....That was just a joke....... Man 90-92 seems so long ago.....Oh the memories of when the Buccos were a good team....lol Plus I have the stories my Dad told me of seeing the Great Roberto Clemente,Willie Stargell and Maz when he was a kid......

I hope one day the Pirates are a winner again but I'm not holding my breath with this current ownership....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I have been boycotting MLB for a while now, but I can't call out Pirate fans that choose to hang in there and support the team. If anything I feel guilty to have given up on the Pirates, but I can't help it.

I don't think anyone should talk down to someone who still has the faith, calling them sheep etc.. You are entitled to your opinion but keep in mind the Steelers sucked for 40 years.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote