Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Media

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,739 Posts
Default Steelers-Browns 2003 Playoff - NFL Network July 5

NFL Network has been replaying broadcasts of classic NFL playoff games in their entirety.

This Thursday at 8-11 pm is the January 2003 Steelers-Browns game, which the Steelers won 36-33 in the last minute after being down 24-7.

Kendrell Bell had an awesome game on a bum ankle and Tommy Maddox had his last great game as a Steeler. Neither ever played as well again.

IMO this game & comeback is what prompted Cowher to ditch smash mouth ball control for the horrible 2003 season.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498
Default Re: Steelers-Browns 2003 Playoff - NFL Network July 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
NFL Network has been replaying broadcasts of classic NFL playoff games in their entirety.

This Thursday at 8-11 pm is the January 2003 Steelers-Browns game, which the Steelers won 36-33 in the last minute after being down 24-7.

Kendrell Bell had an awesome game on a bum ankle and Tommy Maddox had his last great game as a Steeler. Neither ever played as well again.

IMO this game & comeback is what prompted Cowher to ditch smash mouth ball control for the horrible 2003 season.

I remember that game well Dan. Tommy single almost singlehandedly kept us in that game. He was not only playing against the Clowns secondary,....but the Clowns in our own defensive backfield as well. LOL

I also remember not only Kendrell but the rest of the backers having a great game. (especially against the run)

But one thing that always sticks out to me about that game was what i felt was Gildon almost conceding defeat with his comments of,... "But you couldn't run on us though" to some Browns players. (or something very close to that effect)
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:

yeh..Dan, your right. Then look what happened to our team the very next season...not a good idea I dont think. Unless you bring in a west coast coach or something. I love the memories of this game, and it pretty much was Maddoxs' shining moment in the NFL. I love watching that wide open offensive games, they are fun to watch, but I dont want to depend on that to lead our team.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
Newzfoxjr
Starter

Member Number: 4116

On the commercial advertising it, they showed the Browns and Raiders logos and said it was the Steelers. XD

Anyway, I faintly remember this game, as I wasn't into the NFL much back then...I really started getting obsessed with the NFL in the late 2003 season.
Newzfoxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

That play-off game is one of the best NFL games I have ever seen........That was a great comeback......Didn't Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala score the go ahead TD? Plus another huge play in that game was Northcut's drop on third down for the Brownies that would have gave the Browns a first down......Basically sealing the win for the Browns....Both secondaries were just a flat out joke in that game......
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Big7BenHOF
Team Captain

Member Number: 5192

Too bad NFL Network screwed me over and moved to a different channel. I don't get to see it.

=[
Old 07-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big7BenHOF View Post
Too bad NFL Network screwed me over and moved to a different channel. I don't get to see it.

=[
If NFL Network moved on your cable channel line-up I do not think that was the NFL's idea - the NFL and the cable companies are fighting over whether NFL Network gets carried on basic as opposed to an additonal fee tier of channels. The Big Ten is in the same fight with Comcast over a sports channel the Big Ten is launching.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,385 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
If NFL Network moved on your cable channel line-up I do not think that was the NFL's idea - the NFL and the cable companies are fighting over whether NFL Network gets carried on basic as opposed to an additonal fee tier of channels. The Big Ten is in the same fight with Comcast over a sports channel the Big Ten is launching.
Fight the power! Free NFL Network for everyone!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Our Secondary was terrible in that game, then again, so was the Clowns'.

That was a spectacular game. We were down 24-7, the Browns fans were all taunting and chanting, high-fiving each other, and waving their foam fingers and stupid plastic bones, then poof.

That was Tommy Maddox's highest moment in Pittsburgh. Too bad it wouldn't last. Still, it was a very satisfying game. The Cleveland Browns suck, and always will suck.

<---Cleveland
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I lost my voice over that game. My most lasting memory was how bad our secondary was. It seemed like anyone could beat them deep.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote