Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #11
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter
 
GBMelBlount's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,203
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5140
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

Pat's have done well with overall player quality vs. pay in recent years. They have also done well vs. salary cap. AD's listings of our max pay for top players looks great! Are we well under the cap?

As far as Hall in 2008, Tony,...hopefully no need for that...however, never know. Also, as far as intelligence, never know either. Regarding Seymour Hiney, apparently Baker didn't do so well either, but regardless, he may still do great. Bottom line, never judge a guy by the size of his.....Wunderlich.
__________________
If I could be like that,
what would I do,
What would I do..."

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,239
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,891
Thanked 8,141 Times in 3,471 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

As far as Hall in 2008, Tony,...hopefully no need for that...however, never know. Also, as far as intelligence, never know either. Regarding Seymour Hiney, apparently Baker didn't do so well either, but regardless, he may still do great. Bottom line, never judge a guy by the size of his.....Wunderlich.
hall for 2009 was a fecetious comment, since some think he is so desperately needed, and others think ike taylor has actually been "dropped".

the point is, the steelers can actually make the room to do so, if such desperate, last measure manuvers are needed....
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
its really quite simple:

didnt do so well on those wonderlics?

here ya go:

seymour making 24 million in 1 year with only a $600,000 cap charge = "pushing money into the future".

the USA today article clearly explained that. its not too complicated of a concept, really.

when you pay someone Now (signing bonuses) and push the Cap charges into the future you are Pushing money into the future.
You are confusing 'cap charge' with 'salary'.

Show me where Seymours 'cap charge' is $600k.

Seymours actual cap figure is $6.7million and $6million of that is paid this year as a 'Prorated Signing Bonus'.

Seymours cap hit is the 3rd highest on the team (he would be 2nd if Samuel signed a long term deal) so i've yet so any evidence of 'pushing money into the future'.

Try again.
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner
 
xXTheSteelKingsXx's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,636
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5803
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

How much cap space do the Steelers have? Its pretty tight isn't it???
__________________
xXTheSteelKingsXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
How much cap space do the Steelers have? Its pretty tight isn't it???
Here is the best website for that info.

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/

I'd say that have about $1million in space left
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,239
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,891
Thanked 8,141 Times in 3,471 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
You are confusing 'cap charge' with 'salary'.

Show me where Seymours 'cap charge' is $600k.

Seymours actual cap figure is $6.7million and $6million of that is paid this year as a 'Prorated Signing Bonus'.

Seymours cap hit is the 3rd highest on the team (he would be 2nd if Samuel signed a long term deal) so i've yet so any evidence of 'pushing money into the future'.

Try again.
im not really confusing anything, however i did make a mistake and type "cap charge" when i meant "base salary". but really its semantics. when you have such a large cap charge with low base salary it is representative of "money pushed into the future".

every team does it. nothing to feel ashamed about or try to deny. infact every dime above his "base salary" for the length of his contract is "money pushed into the future". it is true that you dont write anyone a check in the nfl for $24,000,000 and all that count towards the cap in that same year.
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #17
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im not really confusing anything, however i did make a mistake and type "cap charge" when i meant "base salary". but really its semantics. when you have such a large cap charge with low base salary it is representative of "money pushed into the future".

every team does it. nothing to feel ashamed about or try to deny. infact every dime above his "base salary" for the length of his contract is "money pushed into the future". it is true that you dont write anyone a check in the nfl for $24,000,000 and all that count towards the cap in that same year.
Thats great - you ask me for 'honesty' in another thread and then spin this load of BS.

It does not matter how the cap hit for a player is constructed - whether it is 'actual salary' or 'bonus money' it still counts equally towards the salary.

Thats why there isn't a cap on the actual base salary and also why 'bonus's' count toward the cap.

You tried to make out that the Patriots had counted Seymour as only $660k to this years cap and that there would be later much larger cap hits that they were 'pushing into the future'.

You and I both know you got this wrong.

For the record, Brady's base salary for this year is $720k, Adalius Thomas' is 900k, Donte Stallworth's is $700k, Wes Welkers is $550k.

These humbers prove that Seymour is hardly a rare example on the Patriots roster who salary cap hit is made up of primarily 'bonus money'.

Then again you could be right - maybe all these players are being 'pushed into the future'.

Just so you have some Steeler examples to help you understand.

Aaron Smiths cap hit $5.5million and his salary is $1.5million (thats $4 million 'pushed into the future)

Bens cap hit is $3.5million but he is only being paid $1million as 'actual salary' - oops another $2.5million 'pushed into the future'!!
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,239
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,891
Thanked 8,141 Times in 3,471 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Thats great - you ask me for 'honesty' in another thread and then spin this load of BS.

It does not matter how the cap hit for a player is constructed - whether it is 'actual salary' or 'bonus money' it still counts equally towards the salary.

Thats why there isn't a cap on the actual base salary and also why 'bonus's' count toward the cap.

You tried to make out that the Patriots had counted Seymour as only $660k to this years cap and that there would be later much larger cap hits that they were 'pushing into the future'.

You and I both know you got this wrong.

For the record, Brady's base salary for this year is $720k, Adalius Thomas' is 900k, Donte Stallworth's is $700k, Wes Welkers is $550k.

These humbers prove that Seymour is hardly a rare example on the Patriots roster who salary cap hit is made up of primarily 'bonus money'.

Then again you could be right - maybe all these players are being 'pushed into the future'.

Just so you have some Steeler examples to help you understand.

Aaron Smiths cap hit $5.5million and his salary is $1.5million (thats $4 million 'pushed into the future)

Bens cap hit is $3.5million but he is only being paid $1million as 'actual salary' - oops another $2.5million 'pushed into the future'!!
im well aware of this. like i said all teams do it and its nothing to be ashamed of. when joey porter got his $20 million up front and guaranteed from the dolphins, any money above this years "base salary" and not counted towards the cap is money pushed into the future.

theres no "spin", and i didnt try to "make it out" to be anything more than what it was- seymore received 24 million in 06 and that money was spread out for the duration of his contract (ant its important to know the article isnt even about "this years cap" its about paychecks earned in 2006. what did seymore count against the cap last year????). i admitted i mistakingly put "cap charge" when the article i had just read and was quoting clearly stated "base salary". sometimes i think faster than i can type and my words get ahead of my fingers. shit happens, and its nothing for me to apologize for.

as per our recent discussion on duce staley and which portions of his bonus were amortized im sure you know that i know the difference between base salary and cap hit and wouldnt try to pull off such a blatantly see through "spinjob".

af far as the worst case of money pushed into the future on the steelers part it is probably hines ward who will count about 9 mil against the cap with only a 6 mil (or so salary ) in 08.

that is still pretty much small fries, as the steelers have yet to guarantee a $10 million bonus to ANY player.

like i said, its nothing to get defensive about and nothing that isnt going on everywhere else. i said in my 1st post on the matter, on the surface it would appear that the patriots had 40 million tied up in 2 players but i quickly showed that wasnt the case. if i was trying to do some bogus "spin" why bother?
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #19
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter
 
GBMelBlount's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,203
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5140
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Here is the best website for that info.

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/

I'd say that have about $1million in space left
Interesting. This is same as Cowher tenure? I had heard/read Cowher frequently renegotiated to meet cap. If true it obviously worked for Cowher/Steelers.
__________________
If I could be like that,
what would I do,
What would I do..."

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ten-million dollar club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Interesting. This is same as Cowher tenure? I had heard/read Cowher frequently renegotiated to meet cap. If true it obviously worked for Cowher/Steelers.
My guess is that most teams leave an emergency fund of about $1million to cover injury replacements and the like at the beginning of the year.
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts