Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-02-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default NFL lost in translation in China?

Are you ready for some "Mei shi gan lan qiu"?

The NFL is intent on finding out if that is indeed the case in China. The league is venturing into untested territory and hoping the country's vast marketplace will respond to its product.

Clearly, there are details to sort out. For one, the language. The sport's vocabulary may resonate from Maine to Maui, but it's a poor fit in Chinese. This, after all, is a country where American football is largely unknown.

"We've had to come up with an entirely new nomenclature for the sport," Gordon Smeaton, an NFL vice president, said Friday during a promotional tour with the New England Patriots. "This is a situation we don't face in any other country and it will take some time."

For the record, in Chinese the game is known as "Mei shi gan lan qiu," which can mean "American-style rugby" or "American-style olive-shaped ball," depending on the translation.

A touchdown is a "da zhen."

The quarterback is the "si fen wei" -- the one-fourth position.

And then there are the byzantine rules. New England Patriots tight end Benjamin Watson has been spending a few days trying to explain strategy and tactics to Chinese fans and reporters.

"We need to teach about throwing and catching and some of the rules of the game," Watson said. "About where players line up. The game is almost like a chess match."

Basketball has been played for 100 years in China. Baseball is an oddity, but at least it has roots. The NFL may be the most popular game in the United States, but it arrived in China only a few years ago and is playing catch-up in a country of 1.3 billion with a swelling middle class.

"I think the reason we might be further behind is we're not an Olympic sport," Smeaton said. "The NFL has only been active in China for the last four years. I suppose we are further behind, so we have to work twice as hard."

For now, the NFL is thinking small. It's been sponsoring a school-age flag league involving 5,000 players. An NFL game is shown weekly on China's state-run CCTV. Smeaton said the NFL is about to announce a "much broader distribution of games" in the country. It may also change viewing times and may add more live telecasts. He said the annual Super Bowl telecast drew up to 10 million viewers.

"The audience for the weekly game, we're happy with a couple of million people watching the game," Smeaton said. "That's where we are."

He hinted that the NFL might use China as a market to test new technology. He also talked up online games.

"We see a day in the not too distant future when Korean NFL fans will be on line with Chinese fans in Shanghai, or with Indonesians or with Tokyo."

The NFL's target in China is men, ages 16-30, who have traveled and are interested in foreign cultures. That's as many as 50 million people.

The NFL has sputtered selling American football in Europe, and on Friday folded its developmental league there after 16 years. NFL Europa reportedly was losing about $30 million a season.

Smeaton suggested China would be a moneymaker with TV eventually generating revenue.

"Once we get enough of a fan base, we expect that companies will come on board (as sponsors)," Smeaton said.

The Patriots are ahead of most NFL teams in exploring China. It has a Chinese-language Web site and a director of Chinese business development. The team's replica jersey went on sale this week in China for $90.

"Any league in China would be years and years away," Smeaton said. "The developmental work takes so much time because you have to develop athletes. But you cannot snap your fingers and make that happen."

The NFL is also trying to recover from a minor embarrassment. It planned a preseason game in Beijing in August -- between New England and the Seattle Seahawks -- but scrapped it on short notice. The NFL said it could not stage that exhibition and the regular-season game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants this fall in London.

Playing in Beijing in 2009 is the new target. The game may be held in the new 91,000-seat National Stadium, called the "Bird's Nest," which is going up for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

"This now gives us an opportunity to build a fan base and we have another two years to get prepared," Smeaton said.

Watson said the NFL would benefit from the likes of its own Yao Ming, the Chinese center now starring in the NBA. But, for now, he sees a foundation forming.

"Strategy, teamwork, work ethic -- these are all things that are deeply rooted in Chinese tradition," Watson said. "To have a player in the NFL from China, from anywhere, this creates better international relations and obviously a big fan base."

"Everything starts somewhere," he added. "In America, football just didn't start off in the NFL. It started off as a small game that people looked at as kind of crazy. Now it's the most popular game in America."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 07-02-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Re: NFL lost in translation in China?

To me this is another good news. You know, the NFL is sponsoring school level flag football in China, interested in going into Asian market, and all. Even if I just to think that if they are gonna be showing more games in China, then I'd be able to watch more Steelers games here at home, which could mean great news to some of us.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

It makes no difference to me what happens in China as far as football goes.

Its purely a money making move, which is fair enough, to corner a potentially huge market.

Watch out, if football ever does catch on in China - they put all their resources into becoming the best at it which includes employing ex-Soviet Union coaches to pump their athletes full of performance enhancing drugs.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
It makes no difference to me what happens in China as far as football goes.
I agree, if it doesnt effect me and how I watch the game on Sunday's then they can do whatever they want in other countries. Just keep in mind no matter how much they put into international advetising American Football with never be as big as Soccer in these countries. Football is a nitch sport outside North America.

Quote:
Watch out, if football ever does catch on in China - they put all their resources into becoming the best at it which includes employing ex-Soviet Union coaches to pump their athletes full of performance enhancing drugs.
Ivan Draggo anyone?
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I agree,squeeze all the money you want out of the Chinese,as long as it doesn't alter my game-viewing experience on occasional Thursdays and Saturdays...and Sundays and Mondays.

Is there even a single Chinese-born player in the NFL?

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

I'm surprised the Chinese state allows this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
I'm surprised the Chinese state allows this.
Thats what I was thinking
Old 07-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,536 Posts

what i don't get about the whole oversee's games is, why isn't there any mention of a game in germany? wasn't 6 of the 8 teams in the nfl europe league in germany? so wouldn't it make sence to award germany with one of the first games?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

If this catches on, I wouldn't be surprised if an NFL China league opened up.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Regarding the attempt to name the positions in Chinese, why not just use English? Cognates are common in many languages. Just think of all the words of foreign origin we use on a daily basis. Kindergarden, cafe, etc...
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote