Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Japan Official Resigns Over Bomb Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I guess that's the price you pay when your war crimes equal that of the Nazi's at that time in history.

That's fine by me if they have that attitude. If they want their women to jump off cliffs with babies grasped in arms or blow themselves up with grenades, that's fine by me. Just don't expect my army to lose millions while trying to bring you down.

IMO, it's over and done with. If the people over there still hold a grudge, that's their problem. But there are two sides to every story and names such as Bataan, Hsuchow, Manila Massacre, Sook Ching Massacre, Nanking Massacre and Unit 731 are rarely mentioned when it comes to the big bad USA dropping it's two bombs to end a very long war.
I completely agree... Actually, the hatred over there between china, korea, and Japan goes back WAY before WWII... There is racial hatred from centuries ago...

As as far as the bombing of Japan goes... I actually wrote a paper on the subject of whether the second bombing was necessary...

My conclusion... Absolutely.

I hate war.

However, in war, the object is to kill as many of your enemy as possible while not losing your own people.

Knowing that there were actual CLASSES teaching women and children in Japan how to fight against an American invasion... We would have had to literally go house to house and kill every man, woman, and child that was old enough to pick up a gun, knife, stone, or stick.

In the immortal words of Ozzie....

Thank God for the Bomb.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

So some of you wouldn't like this huh?

Quote:
TOKYO (AP) - Japan's military is making international peacekeeping a priority, scrambling to bolster its missile defenses and deepening its coordination with U.S. troops, an annual report said Friday.

The new focus on peacekeeping is part of a major transformation of Japan's post World War II military into a more ambitious institution. The change reflects efforts to make the country a more forceful player on the world stage and Japan's growing concern at China's expanding military might.

Japan has in recent years become more involved in peacekeeping missions, and sent several hundred troops to southern Iraq, where they were involved in reconstruction, water-purification and other humanitarian, non-combat activities.

Japanese navy ships also provide logistical support for coalition forces in Afghanistan.

The country will increase its participation in such missions, according to the "Defense of Japan 2007," which was approved by the Cabinet on Friday.

"International peace cooperation activities are a primary mission," said Defense Ministry spokesman Mamoru Kotaki.

The outward emphasis has been controversial.

Although Japan's military is one of the world's strongest and best-equipped, it is tightly constrained by the 1948 constitution, which bars the use of force to settle international disputes and limits the military to a strictly defensive role.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, citing the threat of a nuclear-armed North Korea and the expansion and modernization of China's military, has championed a constitutional overhaul that would allow for a much freer hand in security policy.

Japan's push to strengthen its military has been backed by Washington, whose own forces are stretched thin by the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts.

A stronger Japan has raised concerns of an escalating arms race with China, however, and many Japanese are wary of being drawn into conflicts overseas or of funds being siphoned from social programs for military growth.

Japan spends roughly $42 billion annually on defense. The overall figure has remained relatively static at about 1 percent of GDP, compared with 3 percent in the United States. But experts note Japan is fourth or fifth in the world in defense outlays and that spending on areas like missile defense are swelling.

Kotaki said Tokyo was not seeking fundamental change in its basic defensive policies.

"There is no intention of departing from conventional defense policies or for Japan to become a military power," he said.

On the homefront, the annual report said ballistic missile defense will remain a crucial strategic and budgetary factor.

Working closely with Washington, Tokyo has spent $1.28 billion on ballistic missile defense this year, up from $1.14 billion in fiscal 2006. To further improve coordination, the Japanese Air Defense Command will be moved to a U.S. military base on the outskirts of Tokyo.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8Q6QQG80.html
Old 07-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #13
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the U.S warn Japan to surrender at all cost, or face destruction? It's not like we just bombed them from out of nowhere. We gave them a distinct warning to surrender, JP refused, and the rest is history.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol View Post
So some of you wouldn't like this huh?
Here is the really interesting thing...

While everything I said about the hatred in Asia between the Japanese and others are true... right now we need Japan to rise to counterbalance N.Korea and China.

What we are truly seeing, is the next major buildup to the next world order... and maybe world war. And yes, the war in the gulf is a foreshadowing... setting the stage for where allied forces can and cannot base out of for air and ground support.

What many don't realize is that since the cold-war ceased, there has been a massive disorder in the world. However, the pendulum is swinging to a new world order (yeah, this is what Bush 41 was talking about). However, the coming world order will again be based on military and economic strength... as they all are.

the problem.... why it is so foreign to us this time... is because this is the first world order that will be formed outside of the roots of the Roman empire. Thus, this is new ground.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote