Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
charlie martel
Water Boy

Member Number: 5774
Default USA Today Release Preseason Rankings

http://usatoday.com/sports/football/...rankings_N.htm

Steelers at 13.

Overall, I think they I think they did a good job although it's premature. Unfortunately, they're correct that the AFC is stacked again and it will be difficult to make the playoffs without taking the division.

Last edited by fansince'76; 07-08-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Fixed link for new poster.
charlie martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: USA Today Release Preseason Rankings

It's like that EVERY year.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,670 Posts

13 is reasonable considering the coaching change,lets face it,noone knows what to ecspect. the one i don't get is the cowpies being so high. there in the same boat as us,WITHOUT having superbowl champs on thier team.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

There isn't really a way to do pre-season rankings without being 'premature', to be honest.

Overall, the rankings aren't too far away from where I would have them.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Sigh... Ya I guess its pretty good except I'll still never understand why the Bengals are so hyped this season
Old 07-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Considering that we had the 15th pick in the draft it seems we moved up in the offseason.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Sigh... Ya I guess its pretty good except I'll still never understand why the Bengals are so hyped this season
I don't know.

I've seen more outrageous rankings of the 'shadow Colts' - 6th best team in the AFC?

I don't think thats too unfair - Pittsburgh has created a vacuum in the top3 AFC after the 8-8 season and everyone has jumped a slot because of it.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,623 Times in 4,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
so these rankings take the 12 teams to make the playoffs last year, drops the giants and cheifs, adds the bengals and broncos, and calls it the "top 12"

too bad it is never that simple. recent history says as much. in order to get these rankings right one must be willing to go out on a limb and not rely on last years results or rankings.i dont get the constant bengals love either. bens worst season is something carson and the bungles have accomplished 3 times. while i can see why people would be high on denver, i just dont see it with the bungles or jets. atleast the steelers have a remote shot of winning one of the toughest divisions in the nfl. the jets have no shot. realistically, the absolutely best they can hope for is to be a wild card team.

the steelers and all their sb calibur talent atleast have a shot of winning the division which sould be taken into account when these rankings are set.

nevertheless, the steelers werent expected to do crap and were buried in the pre-season rankings the last 2 times they had the best record in the afc and secured homefield advantage throughout (01, 04). this year just seems like a recurring theme to another afc champ game. i'll take that over missing the playoffs anyday. even the most ignorant bunglesfan would take that.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
Newzfoxjr
Starter

Member Number: 4116

I don't see how the Cowboys are ahead of us and they're two spots ahead of us...They only won one more game than us last season...and I think we're more talented. I think they have us beat at WR, but not RB or QB.

Eh, this doesn't matter. We all know who is going to win the Super Bowl anyway. :P
Newzfoxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Okay...

A couple things.

1. Patriots should be at 2 and colts at 1.

Chargers at 3.

Bengals were tied with the Steelers last year... the coaching change should drop the Steelers down one maybe two places from the Bengals. But 5 spots is ridiculous.

I gotta move Chicago up above the Ravens as well, however, the Ravens deserve to be put that high.

funny thing is... unlike college football, this means nothing. Thank goodness.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote