Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,764 Times in 2,934 Posts
Default Bruce Arians- Calling the Shots

im especially interested hearing from those who rewatched the 03 browns/steelers match-up in the playoffs. this is really the last game i can remember arians calling as an offensive coordinator. he was hired by the steelers in 04, and the only thing i really remember from the browns in 03 is that they sucked and tim couch cried (i cant recall how arians gameplans went- i just know with butch davis on top, they were headed nowhere quick).

so what do we know? a big question going into this season (offensively) is the upheaval of the coaching staff and a "different playbook". no team loses a dick hoak possibly the best and longest tenured position coach out there) and benefits. grimm was/has been a head coaching candidate himself (with several sb rings as a player/coach).

suprisingly these arent the issues mostly talked about. most think the main issues are losing whiz as the play caller and the revamping of the playbook.

so what do we know about arians? i know in his last relevant performance calling the plays kelly holcomb with 4 career starts, and an average (yet solid) group of receivers very well shouldve beaten the steelers in the playoffs in pittsburgh. yes the steelers secondary sucked, yet this was a team that fielded the leagues top defense in 01 and 04.

arians was wise enough to know his team wasnt going to run on the steelers. he was wise enough to adopt the gameplan the patriots and raiders so effectively used to begin the steelers 02 season. were it not for several dropped passes/official overturns on the browns (to go with the browns defense dropping several maddox passes thrown right at them) the browns wouldve won and no name holcomb wouldve thrown for 500+ yards with no running game.

impressive regardless? yes. yet he was accomplishing that against the steelers secondary. however he wasnt doing that with big ben, ward, holmes, miller, and parker in the backfield.

his last showing as o-coordinator looks good but is he qualified for the talent the steelers possess? what are his credentials? some people thought mark whipple would be a good o-coord candidate based on his college HC experience along with his experience with ben as a qb coach.

arians was a college head coach, who was hired by the cheifs to coach the running backs in 88. (coincidentally enough, this was him and cowher first worked together as assistants under marty shottenheimer). arians then worked with the saints coaching the TE's before he joined the colts staff as mannings QB coach. his work with manning led to a promotion to the browns, yet a demotion to the steelers wr coach.

so what do we know? the man can coach. whether it be HC, o- coord, rb, te, or wr's, he has coached every position on offense besides the offensive line.

i have no doubt that he was the right man for the job. nobody ever thought that gailey, mularkey, or even wisenhunt would even be considered for a head coaching opening (let alone land one).
nobody is expecting much from arians. however i will side with the rooneys previous calls and history when i say we dont have too much to wory about in regards to our "new" coach and "new" playbook. (the playbook is just a streamlined version of the one we have been familiar with for the past 15 years. its the playcalling, not the playbook which will lead to success)
Old 07-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: Bruce Arians- Calling the Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im especially interested hearing from those who rewatched the 03 browns/steelers match-up in the playoffs. this is really the last game i can remember arians calling as an offensive coordinator. he was hired by the steelers in 04, and the only thing i really remember from the browns in 03 is that they sucked and tim couch cried (i cant recall how arians gameplans went- i just know with butch davis on top, they were headed nowhere quick).

so what do we know? a big question going into this season (offensively) is the upheaval of the coaching staff and a "different playbook". no team loses a dick hoak possibly the best and longest tenured position coach out there) and benefits. grimm was/has been a head coaching candidate himself (with several sb rings as a player/coach).

suprisingly these arent the issues mostly talked about. most think the main issues are losing whiz as the play caller and the revamping of the playbook.

so what do we know about arians? i know in his last relevant performance calling the plays kelly holcomb with 4 career starts, and an average (yet solid) group of receivers very well shouldve beaten the steelers in the playoffs in pittsburgh. yes the steelers secondary sucked, yet this was a team that fielded the leagues top defense in 01 and 04.

arians was wise enough to know his team wasnt going to run on the steelers. he was wise enough to adopt the gameplan the patriots and raiders so effectively used to begin the steelers 02 season. were it not for several dropped passes/official overturns on the browns (to go with the browns defense dropping several maddox passes thrown right at them) the browns wouldve won and no name holcomb wouldve thrown for 500+ yards with no running game.

impressive regardless? yes. yet he was accomplishing that against the steelers secondary. however he wasnt doing that with big ben, ward, holmes, miller, and parker in the backfield.

his last showing as o-coordinator looks good but is he qualified for the talent the steelers possess? what are his credentials? some people thought mark whipple would be a good o-coord candidate based on his college HC experience along with his experience with ben as a qb coach.

arians was a college head coach, who was hired by the cheifs to coach the running backs in 88. (coincidentally enough, this was him and cowher first worked together as assistants under marty shottenheimer). arians then worked with the saints coaching the TE's before he joined the colts staff as mannings QB coach. his work with manning led to a promotion to the browns, yet a demotion to the steelers wr coach.

so what do we know? the man can coach. whether it be HC, o- coord, rb, te, or wr's, he has coached every position on offense besides the offensive line.

i have no doubt that he was the right man for the job. nobody ever thought that gailey, mularkey, or even wisenhunt would even be considered for a head coaching opening (let alone land one).
nobody is expecting much from arians. however i will side with the rooneys previous calls and history when i say we dont have too much to wory about in regards to our "new" coach and "new" playbook. (the playbook is just a streamlined version of the one we have been familiar with for the past 15 years. its the playcalling, not the playbook which will lead to success)
got that right the experience he has is great and i have no worrys that he will disapoint me!!!
u
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
suprasad
Water Boy

Member Number: 5785

I am looking forward to seeing what BA does with the offense, given his credentials and the respect he has from the WR's and from Ben.
suprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Here is what I think...

1. He knows how to coach against hard running teams, and team that are built to stop the run. So I think we have a good push against our division. It is VERY important that he knows how to coach against the run... What I mean by that is that it would seem that he would know how to make the most out of a little amount of time.

2. In the game against the Steelers, he didn't completely abandon the run. He used it to help set up the pass. this way, the DB's couldn't just set back and wait for the pass.

3. Well, if he could do that with that group... imagine what he could do with actual talent like what the Steelers have!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I like the fact that he is spreading the offense out. I cant recall how many time last season we just bunched it all up and other teams knew the run was comming.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
I like the fact that he is spreading the offense out. I cant recall how many time last season we just bunched it all up and other teams knew the run was comming.
He did that with the Browns as well. Yeah, I do like that. I really like the fact he wants to spread it out like that, then run will in some open areas.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

As long as he does away with the 3rd and 8 screen pass to Verron Haynes he's ok with me...
Old 07-08-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
As long as he does away with the 3rd and 8 screen pass to Verron Haynes he's ok with me...

I think that was in the old playbook... the one that got thrown out.

THough you know Cowher will be sitting at home in his easy chair watching screaming...

THROW THE SCREEN... THROW THE SCREEN!!!

About that time his wife will look at him and say, "Honey... number 1, your no longer coaching. and 2... Stop with that Pittsburgh accent!"
Old 07-08-2007, 06:55 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,343 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I'm excited about arians I think he will open it up alot more.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,139 Times in 2,828 Posts

The Browns could not run the ball in that game (38 yards net rushing) but it was not as if they did not try (Green - 30 yards on 25 carries). It was the Browns D that lost that game (Fazio quit/was fired after Davis made him go to a prevent/3 man rush in the 4th Q), not Arians calling a pass happy 4th quarter.

The Steelers stuffed everyone on the run that year and could stop nobody passing (courtesy of, as TH notes, Charlie Weis and Tom Brady, followed by Oakland, exposing that flaw by almost exclusively throwing the ball in the first 2 games of the 2002 season), so Arians called a proper game as far as I could tell.

The best part of Arians coming in to me is that after 15 years and 6 (?) O-coordinators under Cowher he apparently has weeded out the playbook down to something Ben can hopefully comprehend. Regardless of what kind of game he calls, if Ben does not understand the offense it will be a long year.

Spreading the field and going more to a H back offense may be more suited to Parker's talents - we can start to find out 4 weeks from tonight.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote