Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-08-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,092 Posts
Default LaMarr Woodleys jounal entry

some nice insight from our 2nd round pick (and i apologize in advance if this post exposes inherent flaws and weaknesses that any random patriot fans can uncover) perhaps i can use sarcasm as a preemptive strike to ward off any intrusion of critisizm of a thread that is intended to uplift our spirits on what seems to be a productive rookie.

Quote:
Steelers rookie meets fans, prepares for camp
Posted: July 5, 2007

LaMarr Woodley
For Sporting News

Steelers rookie LaMarr Woodley wrote a pre-draft journal for Sporting News. A defensive end at Michigan, Woodley was selected in the second round and is being moved to outside linebacker in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense. Following are some of his thoughts as he prepares for the first training camp of his NFL career.

Quote:
I really enjoyed the time I spent with the other young guys at the Rookie Symposium in Palm Beach, Fla., last week. The league did a good job of educating us on many of the situations we are sure to encounter as first-year players. The days were long, but knowing this is now my livelihood, I made sure that I paid attention to everything being sent my way.
enjoying time? an unproven rookie should be more focused on getting his house in order

Guys such as Vince Young of the Titans and Reggie Bush of the Saints were there to talk to us specifically about some of the things that they dealt with as rookies last year and warned us of certain situations we might face. I also enjoyed the time down there because I was able to catch up with some of my old teammates from Michigan.
vince young and r. bush didnt win a SB. good luck listening to them

Another first for me came this past weekend when I appeared at two different locations to sign autographs and meet fans. The first was in Norfolk, Va. I was signing with former Steeler linebacker Levon Kirkland, which was an awesome experience. He let me in on many of his veteran secrets and told me what to anticipate as a rookie. I was surprised to see how many Steeler fans from the Norfolk area came out to meet us. I had always heard about how die-hard Steeler fans are, and now I am a believer.how could the coach allow an unproven rookie sign autographs? everyone knows this leads to a lack of focus and 100% concentration

I again received a warm welcome at my appearance in Harrisburg, Pa., on Sunday. The fans were great and the family atmosphere reminded me of our support at Michigan. Knowing that so many people want to see you succeed really motivates you to perform on the field. relying on fans wanting you to suceed certainly means youre destined to fail

Speaking of "on the field," my NFL experience did not get off to the best start. On the first day of minicamp I reinjured my hamstring -- the one that had hampered my Combine training -- in a drill, forcing me to spend the rest of the camp on the sideline taking mental reps. It was frustrating, but my coaches told me to make sure I treated it right, so it wouldn't linger all the way up until training camp. While I would have done anything to get on the field and start working, I actually benefited from the chance to learn our schemes through watching instead of having to learn on the run. I feel that my understanding of our defense benefited from that time; it was a good foundation for really grasping our system. a trully great coach would use peer pressure and threats of losing your job to get you out on the field. how could one possibly lerarn from "watching" rather than "doing"?

Then we went through organized team activities. NFL OTAs are a lot like spring ball in college, without pads or contact. We usually had an early-morning lifting session and got back together after lunch for a two-hour practice session. I spent my afternoons meeting with coaches, breaking down film and further installing our defensive system. Because preparation is so important to success in the NFL, our coaches gave us as much film as we could handle, allowing us to continue the learning process at home. For a rookie, being able to see my mistakes on film is invaluable. I consider myself a real student of the game, something I took pride in back at Michigan, spending extra hours with my head in the playbook in my downtime.

what dumbass rookie would give the offseason workout schedule for OTA's to the opponents? this clearly puts the steelers at a disadvantage

I am now on my way back to Athletes' Performance in Tempe, Ariz., to train with some former teammates. I really want to push myself before camp opens July 23. As the season gets closer I am eager to get down to business, so I want to make sure I am in the best shape of my life when we report. Coach Mike Tomlin has done a great job of refocusing our group as a whole, and I really believe guys are ready to get back to a championship.
enjoy the article steelerfans. and for any haterfans from other teams, im sure theres a thug from tha U (or somewhere) who cant make the field on your own roster that deserves more critisizm.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: LaMarr Woodleys jounal entry

I had read that one as well.

I really liked what he had to say.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Wow.

You know you've 'made it' when someone goes to the trouble of 'pre-empting' your posts.

Its a message board - if you dont want it commented on, then print it out and cuddle it as you fall asleep dreaming of Black and Gold sheep jumping over fences made of Lombardi trophies

Sarcasm can be a useful weapon when done properly.

Better luck next time.

ps. Pre-emptive means to prevent, right?

Rather than incite?
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Good read, Tony - thanks. One thing does concern me, though - Woodley's description of the reinjuring of his hammy:

Quote:
Speaking of "on the field," my NFL experience did not get off to the best start. On the first day of minicamp I reinjured my hamstring -- the one that had hampered my Combine training -- in a drill, forcing me to spend the rest of the camp on the sideline taking mental reps. It was frustrating, but my coaches told me to make sure I treated it right, so it wouldn't linger all the way up until training camp....
And then he goes on later in the journal about "pushing himself" in anticipation of training camp:

Quote:
I am now on my way back to Athletes' Performance in Tempe, Ariz., to train with some former teammates. I really want to push myself before camp opens July 23.
I sincerely hope he doesn't "push himself" too hard and reaggravate that hammy; he'll be in two-a-days soon enough and we need everybody healthy (if at all possible) for camp.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
.... cuddle it as you fall asleep dreaming of Black and Gold sheep jumping over fences made of Lombardi trophies ...

...thats...thats just beautiful man!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
...thats...thats just beautiful man!!!
LOL
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I cant wait to see what Woodly can do this season.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I sure hope Quinns starts the opener...Quinn knows how hard Woodley hits.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

One thing I'm really excited about Woodley is that he might wear Joey's old number, that should give him the motivaton to be a great player like Joey was.....is...whatever... About his injuries I really hope he gets better, he seems like a tough guy and I really hope seeing him giving pain to all quarteback, specially to those in the AFC North.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
some nice insight from our 2nd round pick (and i apologize in advance if this post exposes inherent flaws and weaknesses that any random patriot fans can uncover) perhaps i can use sarcasm as a preemptive strike to ward off any intrusion of critisizm of a thread that is intended to uplift our spirits on what seems to be a productive rookie.

enjoy the article steelerfans. and for any haterfans from other teams, im sure theres a thug from tha U (or somewhere) who cant make the field on your own roster that deserves more critisizm.

Nice read Tone. Woodley appears to 'have his head on straight' and his priorities in order. I look forward to seeing how well aquits himself on the field in camp and throughout the preseason.

Perhaps he can become a pleasant surprise in terms of bringing some much needed youthful impact/production to our defense up front,......sooner as oppossed to later.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote