Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-13-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Post Not looking ahead...

Cowher refuses to look ahead
Wednesday, September 14, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One bold soul tried to ask Bill Cowher yesterday if his team might be looking ahead to playing the New England Patriots, and the Steelers coach vocally stomped on him as if he were an insect invading his living room.

Think of Jim Mora screeching "Playoffs! Playoffs!" and you get Cowher's level of reluctance to discuss his team's next game in Heinz Field.

"No!" Cowher thundered. "We know better than that. Ahead is going to be there; you just worry about Houston. That's the only team we are worrying about."

It probably was not a good time, then, to ask him what he thought about his team bearing down on the NFL record for winning streaks in the regular season. The Steelers' streak stands at 15; 18 is the record, which is owned by the Patriots and was stopped at Heinz Field on Halloween last year.

But it is right there in his team's news release this week. The Steelers, the first team in AFC history to win 15 regular-season games, can move into a tie with the Miami Dolphins for the second-best streak in NFL history if they beat the Texans Sunday in Houston. The Dolphins won 16 in a row twice.

Looking ahead, the Steelers could go for No. 17 against the Patriots Sept. 25, tie the record Oct. 10 at San Diego and break it Oct. 16 in Heinz Field against Jacksonville. Looking ahead, though, became unfashionable in Pittsburgh last season.

"I'm not worrying about anything more than Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock," Cowher said.

Sunday's big opening win against Tennessee? Meant nothing, Cowher implied.

"I still think that we have a ways to go from an execution standpoint, and I say a ways to go because we still have to show an ability to do it week in and week out. We played one game and I'm not ready to pass judgment on any element of our football team -- offense, defense or special teams -- based on one game."

Cowher also was not ready to call his passing game perfect even if Ben Roethlisberger's passer rating in the opener says so. Cowher, along with many others, showed concern about the passing offense this summer.

"We only threw it 11 times," Cowher said. "It's not like we've suddenly arrived, I don't think. Too much comparison has been made to [the preseason]. I'm not concerned with that. I'm not ready to sit there and say everything is set with one game."

here's the rest
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:52 PM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Not looking ahead...

and that's the attitude i like, they need to take one game at a time cause nothing is a given.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Yeah cowher has always preached not looking ahead..but we've been bitten by that bug in the past. Last year we didnt look ahead at all and we were awesome. WE need to keep that same attitude this year!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I'm glad Cowher has that attitude. One game at a time is the best way to go about it in my opinion.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
I'm glad Cowher has that attitude. One game at a time is the best way to go about it in my opinion.

Yes SIR!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Sometimes "ONe game at a time" is easier said than done. Coach Cowher has the right attitude, but are the players following his lead? I hope they are. There is no reason to be thinking of the Pats. The Houston Texans are not to be taken lightly. Not to mention, if we did lose to the Pats, SO WHAT! Just like they said about our regular season win last year,"win the one that counts" A loss wont kill us.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Yeah thats been the problem in the past. Cowher has always preached not looking ahead, focus on this week alone..but in the past the Players havent always taken it to heart. As I mentioned before last year we did and we were awesome so lets keep it up fellas..no one over looked, 1 victim at a time!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:57 PM   #8
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

you definately don't want to over look anyone...I like his attitude!