Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Virginia Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5793
Default Rivalries in the NFL

Last night I was listening to sports radio and this guy was talking about the best rivalry in the NFL - said it was the Colts and Pats...he said he believes this because of the recent success of both teams and last years AFC Champ game.

I disagree -

1. They aren't in the same division. So what if they played in a few playoff games, no one cared about the colts/pats games until brady and manning. Until recently, they weren't good.

2. There is no big NFL rivalry. I think there are rivalries for sure, but outside of the fans most people don't care. Sure the Redskins/Cowboys, Steelers/Browns, Packers/Bears are big rivals - but really, do Raiders, Rams, Panthers or Jets fans care about those games?

3. My theory is that if you are a true fan of a team you'd rather watch your team play over "the game of the week". If Steelers and let's say the 49ers are playing at the same time as the Colts and Pats, I am watching the Steelers.

The Colts and Pats aren't rivals - it is just a good game.
Virginia Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Rivalries in the NFL

Well I think they are rivals due to the recent success of both teams as you said, maybe not as big a rivalry with all the history like the browns and steelers or bears and packers, but it has become a rivalry, and yes it could be because of Manning and Brady, they are like the face of their franchise. They are not division rivals obviously but they are rivals when they meet on the field. Also the steelers and patriots could also talked as a rivalry, they beat us twice in less than five years in the AFC Championship and we still haven't got our revenge.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

I miss the relatively short-lived Steelers/Jags rivalry. When the Steelers and Jags were still in the AFC Central, they had some really entertaining and close-fought games against each other.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

KC and the Raiders is a pretty good rivalry along with the Pats and Dolphs.

I really only care about two teams playing each other if one of them is an AFCN division rival, quite honestly. Then, no matter who the other team is - I'm cheering 'em on.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

I think the AFC North is a great division for rivalry. None of those teams like each other.

In fact, I think it's pound for pound the best division in football.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebus36 View Post
I think the AFC North is a great division for rivalry. None of those teams like each other.

In fact, I think it's pound for pound the best division in football.
Yeah I think the AFC North has the best rivalries.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Steelers-Browns are a classic rivalry.The fans hate each other and so do the teams.

Pats-Colts are a great rivalry,and could go down as one of the greats like the 70's Steelers-Raiders rivalry.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

the old AFC west was a great rivalry as well. Denver, Seattle, Oakland, KC,...

In the 80's, they all had pretty good teams, and they just hated each other. I still hate Denver because of the Seattle/Denver rivalry.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Steeler View Post
Last night I was listening to sports radio and this guy was talking about the best rivalry in the NFL - said it was the Colts and Pats...he said he believes this because of the recent success of both teams and last years AFC Champ game.

I disagree -

1. They aren't in the same division. So what if they played in a few playoff games, no one cared about the colts/pats games until brady and manning. Until recently, they weren't good.
Its a great rivalry because they are both contenders for the title year in year out.

Factor in their head-2-head matchups in recent postseasons and you have games that always capture the imagination of the neutral fan.

I believe the 2006 AFCCG was one of the NFL's most-watched prime time games in five years.

Brady/Manning are the two best QB's in the NFL - this was about who is the best rivalry right now, wasn't it?

Watching those guys go head-2-head always makes for plenty of hype - especially now that Manning looks like he has turned the corner.

Quote:
2. There is no big NFL rivalry. I think there are rivalries for sure, but outside of the fans most people don't care. Sure the Redskins/Cowboys, Steelers/Browns, Packers/Bears are big rivals - but really, do Raiders, Rams, Panthers or Jets fans care about those games?
So your argument is that there is no big NFL rivalry at all?

If the Browns were competitive there would be - and the Redskins/Cowboys would have alot more bite of they could both make the postseason...maybe even contend an NFCCG or two.

I only really care about rivalry's where something is at stake - and that is probably the case with most fans who find themselves as a neutral regarding the two teams involved.

In recent years I love the Steelers/Bengals rivalry - not just because they seem to hate each other, but because there is division title or wildcard at place when they play.

Quote:
3. My theory is that if you are a true fan of a team you'd rather watch your team play over "the game of the week". If Steelers and let's say the 49ers are playing at the same time as the Colts and Pats, I am watching the Steelers.

The Colts and Pats aren't rivals - it is just a good game.
This is where you lose me again.

Surely every fan worth his salt would watch his own team over the 'game of the week' (unless they are way out of contention) but with multiple start times its very possible that the game of the week doesn't compete directly with your team anyway.

Its a rivalry because its a big deal between their fans - and in the Colts/Patriots case between their ownership (there is a good deal of bitterness between the two) - what makes it the top rivalry is the fact that the neutral fan gets drawn in everytime.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
section514
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1401

I hate Cleveland but I expect to beat them, if we lose to them its like getting beat up by a girl (no offense hometown, floodcity and all the other females around here) but the rivalry is not much of a rivalry any more, we used to trade games back and forth until recently the all time record between the two of us was roughly .500. In the past few years the Steelers Browns has been in favor of the steelers. I would have to say our greatest rival is the Bengals , and the Ravens of course. All of our division games, aside from the browns game, in my mind mean something and I am never 100% positive that we will win before hand.
section514 is offline   Reply With Quote