Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Where does the Steeler TE unit rank?
AFC - Rank 1-4 17 45.95%
AFC - Rank 5-8 12 32.43%
AFC - Rank 9-12 1 2.70%
AFC - Rank 13-16 0 0%
NFL - Rank 1-8 16 43.24%
NFL - Rank 9-16 5 13.51%
NFL - Rank 17-24 0 0%
NFL - Rank 25-32 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

Following on from a thread in the NFL forum, I thought i'd set up a quick poll in the main Steelers forum the gauge the opinion of the SF members on the quality of this years TE unit (MIller, Tuman, Spaeth)

Where would you rank the Steelers unit out of the 16 units in the AFC and also the 32 units in the NFL?

You should vote for 2 options only (AFC rank and NFL rank)
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

Kind of hard to rank them as we really haven't seen what Spaeth can do just yet. If we're going by potential and what I've seen out of Miller and Tuman since they've worn the B & G, I'd rank them AFC Top 1-4 and NFL 1-8.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner
 
xXTheSteelKingsXx's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,636
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5803
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

I voted 1-4 because I believe they have uderachieved up to this point but I look to see the corp having a break out year this season.
__________________
xXTheSteelKingsXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend
 
83-Steelers-43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,993
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

It's tough for me to say that they have underachieved over the years while I feel that Cowher had underutilized them over the years. I feel Tuman is solid and I feel Heath has the catching, being able to get open across the middle and blocking abilities to become one hell of a TE if used properly. While some have knocked Heath for his lack of blocking abilities, I felt he stepped up to the plate nicely in that aspect and has become a well rounded TE.

Spaeth is a question mark. I have no idea what this guy will look like or what he brings to the table, not until at least I see him in camp.......and even then.
__________________
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,418
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 141
Thanked 795 Times in 307 Posts
Default Re: How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

I voted 5-8 and 9-16 for AFC and NFL, respectively, due more to underutilization in the passing game than lack of ability, as 83 pointed out.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
ben2hines=6
Bench Warmer
 
ben2hines=6's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: charleroi pa
Posts: 206
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

this question is a little unfair based on we use our tight ends more as run blockers than we do pass catchers, and heath did drop a few last year, i gave us 5-8 but can def move up
ben2hines=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,564
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,616
Thanked 6,781 Times in 2,941 Posts
Default Re: How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2hines=6 View Post
this question is a little unfair based on we use our tight ends more as run blockers than we do pass catchers, and heath did drop a few last year, i gave us 5-8 but can def move up
the thread is only unfairly biassed if the author is going on receiving numbers alone.

a good tight end shoulndt be consisered a glorified receiver or or a glorified o- linemen but a 50-50 blend of both. definition and the pretty much 50-50 playcalling of run vs. pass suggests as much.

i voted 1-4 afc and mistakingly clicked 9-16 in nfl. however i believe the steelers unit it top 8 in the league. alot of this rests upon the quality of te we took in the 3rd round and the overall impact i expect him to have on the offense.

steelers are well known for plugging in successful linebackers. they have a pretty impressive record plugging in te's and rb's too.

sure our te's dont put up reception numbers like the "greats" however our time of possession and rushing numbers stand on their own and wouldnt be so great without te's such as green, bruener, tuman, miller, and soon to be spaeth.

some would think having one of the strongest rushing attacks, and highest win % over the last 15 years means the under utilization of the tight ends. i call it efficient.

when it comes to rookie spaeth, im willing to put my money on the rooneys properly scouting the player when i project his effectiveness in this offense. as it is, we have the 2 of the best te's coming into the draft in the past 3 years. add the solid veteran tuman to that mix and i definitely think we are solid.

as a fan, i wont be worried as much if miller goes down as i would if i were a cheifs, giants, ravens, or san diego fan.
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

I rated them 5-8 right now.

Yeah, they have a tremendous upside. Tuman and Miller may develop into a great tandem this year... and with Spaeth.. well, we may have the ability to pass out of what looks like a full on smack you in the face running game...

But I gotta see it in action first. It is there on paper... but not yet on the field.

Last edited by Preacher; 07-10-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter
 
GBMelBlount's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,203
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5140
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
a good tight end shoulndt be consisered a glorified receiver or or a glorified o- linemen but a 50-50 blend of both. definition and the pretty much 50-50 playcalling of run vs. pass suggests as much......

some would think having one of the strongest rushing attacks, and highest win % over the last 15 years means the under utilization of the tight ends. i call it efficient.
Agreed, but what is current opinion showing/using more tight ends in O-plan with current overall offensive personnel & RB's?
__________________
If I could be like that,
what would I do,
What would I do..."

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner
 
xXTheSteelKingsXx's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,636
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5803
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How highly do you rate the Pittsburgh TE Unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the thread is only unfairly biassed if the author is going on receiving numbers alone.

a good tight end shoulndt be consisered a glorified receiver or or a glorified o- linemen but a 50-50 blend of both. definition and the pretty much 50-50 playcalling of run vs. pass suggests as much.
i voted 1-4 afc and mistakingly clicked 9-16 in nfl. however i believe the steelers unit it top 8 in the league. alot of this rests upon the quality of te we took in the 3rd round and the overall impact i expect him to have on the offense.

steelers are well known for plugging in successful linebackers. they have a pretty impressive record plugging in te's and rb's too.

sure our te's dont put up reception numbers like the "greats" however our time of possession and rushing numbers stand on their own and wouldnt be so great without te's such as green, bruener, tuman, miller, and soon to be spaeth.

some would think having one of the strongest rushing attacks, and highest win % over the last 15 years means the under utilization of the tight ends. i call it efficient.

when it comes to rookie spaeth, im willing to put my money on the rooneys properly scouting the player when i project his effectiveness in this offense. as it is, we have the 2 of the best te's coming into the draft in the past 3 years. add the solid veteran tuman to that mix and i definitely think we are solid.

as a fan, i wont be worried as much if miller goes down as i would if i were a cheifs, giants, ravens, or san diego fan.
Agreed. I believe that tight ends these days are judged too much by their pass catching abilities as a pro. I think that blocking should be taken into more consideration when ranking tightends.
__________________
xXTheSteelKingsXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts