Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #21
hardwork
Banned
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,467
Member Number: 342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Power Rankings after week 1

This Super Bowl runs start with luck, and the players let the coach down shit, just doesn't fly. It may fly when you can't buy a ring, like Cowhers, but it doesn't fly anywhere else.

I'll say one thing for ya though. At least you didn't use the term DUDE.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:22 PM   #22
Koopa
Living Legend
 
Koopa's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Coast Born, That Mean I'm Texas Raised
Posts: 3,439
Gender: Male
Member Number: 508
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Power Rankings after week 1

well since you don't like dude, i'll bring out my southern slang, aight MAYNE i'll respond to your other post on this one to. coaches don't play the games it's the players that need to step up and i ain't down playin y'alls championship aigth mayne. i could care less about the pats championship i was talkin about the power rankings and i think that's bull that just cause they won the championship last year that they are ranked number 1. this is a new season shit happens, teams get better they beat the damn raiders that was not an accomplishment that should make them the number 1. who cares about the past the past means jack.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #23
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Power Rankings after week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
But the Boston/NY/Philly/DC fans can't help themselves. They just know better than everyone else, even when they don't.

I especially love it when the trendy team starts buying into their own bullshit and proclaims that their coach is the next Vince Lombardi.
What is your definition of a 'trendy team' Suitanim?

I had a little altercation with some of the posters here over this Steelers obsession with history - it seems that you think that only certain 'hardcore' teams are allowed to enjoy any success!

If the Steelers win the lot we will hear about what a great franchise you are and how you deserve it...and I for one would totally agree- I have nothing but props for the Steelers set-up - but I think you need to get off your high horse and give some other teams credit for their time in the sun.

I understand the loathing of the Ravens on this board - but they way you denigrate the achievements of any team that isn't the Steelers is a little pitiful - it also casts aspersions on the Steelers team that year...why werent they able to overcome such a one dimensional offense????

Im afraid you are the one who comes off as 'knowing more than anyone else' - you seem unable to give any sort of props to another team without qualifying it with an insult - it wouldnt hurt for you to display a little class every now and then instead of bitching and moaning about all the other franchises and their supporters.

Cheers

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 09-18-2005 at 06:24 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #24
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Power Rankings after week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Remember when Brian Billick was annointed as "The chosen one"? He took a one dimensional offense to a Super Bowl and played another one dimensional offense and won. For that, he was the flavor of the day. The fact that he had the 3rd best defense in the history of the NFL is only a hangover fom the game, especially since, coincidentally he probably faced the worst offensive team ever to play in a SB.

Although I do have to throw mad props to a coach that can take Trent Dilfer to the promised land.

The bottom line is that somehow Belichick has so far avoided the dreaded "Coach's Curse", where the players get the glory when winning, and the coach gets the blame when the losses come...although (and a lot of people seem to forget this) his first season was hardly a thing of glory, and the 2002 version of the Pats went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Although he was tutored by Parcells, he also was less than successful in Cleveland.

I say this because Cowher has NOT escaped this criticism...he has had his players come up short for him time and time and time again. Foster gets the ball batted away in '94, O'Donnell throwing more interceptions in the SB than he threw for 95% of the rest of the schedule, Kordell throwing the ball all over the place, INT's in the endzone, etc, etc...

Cowher's players have let him down, and Belichicks have not. I can think of 5-6 plays that have happened in the last 10 years that would dramatically change the outcome of the Steelers history and SB win count. I can also count 4-5 that would detract from the Pats count.

It's funny, because when I first posted up in the smack forum chumming for sparring partners, I posted up a pretty inflammatory opinionated and biased post, and I got a bite fast. It was Living and he disputed the fact that the Pats SB run started with luck...I disagree, and will back it up. ALL Super Bowl runs have luck involved. The Steelers have the Immaculate Reception. That was luck...and then we won 4 Super Bowls.

As Steelers fans, we collectively embrace that one single event as a turning point in our History...funny that the Pats fans have to whitewash and "spin" their own immaculate occurence...
I really am not too sure what your whole point is here Suitanim - I dont think you will find anywhere that I have ever said that luck is not a part of winning a SB - what I did take exception to was the way you presented your 'biased' opinion that it was ONLY a 'lucky few bounces' that won these last few SB's for us.

If indeed every SB winner has had these lucky bounces...why are you making such an issue of the Patriots lucky breaks - ill freely admit we had some good bounces, ill admit we had some bad luck with injuries - but when it came down to winning drives authored by the most clutch QB in the game we get it done...that is all that counts.

How would you like it if I went back into history and broke down every time the Steel Curtain got a favourable decision or a good bounce....I wont do it because I have enough class to recognise them Steelers as the cream of that generation...you however seem to subsist entirely on a diet of baloney and sour grapes.

I dont want people here to love the Patriots - just try and be a little more like your fellow posters (Clevestinks, Blitzburgh, Bigbensgirl) and give props where they are due instead of coming off as a whiney 8 year old all the time....

Cheers

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:32 AM   #25
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Power Rankings after week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa
well since you don't like dude, i'll bring out my southern slang, aight MAYNE i'll respond to your other post on this one to. coaches don't play the games it's the players that need to step up and i ain't down playin y'alls championship aigth mayne. i could care less about the pats championship i was talkin about the power rankings and i think that's bull that just cause they won the championship last year that they are ranked number 1. this is a new season shit happens, teams get better they beat the damn raiders that was not an accomplishment that should make them the number 1. who cares about the past the past means jack.
Hey Koopa,

I for one could care less how you phrase your replies...its all good.

If we totally discount last years performance then I think you would find everyone with a winning record would be tied for 1st place..and everyone with a losing record would be tied for last.

In my minds eye I think that power rankings should be exactly that - how powerful is this side...if I put team 1 against team10 on a neutral venue I would expect team 1 to win more often than not.

I seen some power rankings with the 49ers around the 16/17 mark..which is a total joke when they are -13 on the spread against the Eagles who are currently 0-1...would you have the 49ers and the Dolphins above the Vikings and and Philly?

Cheers

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #26
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter
 
Suitanim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 6,086
Gender: Male
Member Number: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Power Rankings after week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
What is your definition of a 'trendy team' Suitanim?

I had a little altercation with some of the posters here over this Steelers obsession with history - it seems that you think that only certain 'hardcore' teams are allowed to enjoy any success!

NM
Why do you feel the need to defend EVERY SINGLE Patriots fan...Are you a lifelong Pats fan? If so, ignore my post, because it wasn't at all addressed to you. If not, then you are a bandwagoner and my post was directed exactly at you.

I hate bandwagon whores, and the bigger the city, the more of them there are. Don't even get me started on the Florida College teams...I lived there for most of the 90's, and they were an absolute nightmare. Literally fans would switch "Alma Maters" from year to year.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:42 AM   #27
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Power Rankings after week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Why do you feel the need to defend EVERY SINGLE Patriots fan...Are you a lifelong Pats fan? If so, ignore my post, because it wasn't at all addressed to you. If not, then you are a bandwagoner and my post was directed exactly at you.

I hate bandwagon whores, and the bigger the city, the more of them there are. Don't even get me started on the Florida College teams...I lived there for most of the 90's, and they were an absolute nightmare. Literally fans would switch "Alma Maters" from year to year.
Im not attempting to defend 'every single Pats fan' Suitanim.

You made no mention of bandwagonism when you chose to slate Boston/NY/Philly/DC fans - it appears to me that you were calling out regular fans in these cities because 'they think they know it all - even when they dont'.

Im sure you have some blood-curdling stories of bandwagonning college students Suitanim - but if want people to understand that you were referring to to 'bandwagoners' only - then maybe you should have put that in your post.

Cheers

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:42 AM   #28
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter
 
Suitanim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 6,086
Gender: Male
Member Number: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Power Rankings after week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I really am not too sure what your whole point is here Suitanim - I dont think you will find anywhere that I have ever said that luck is not a part of winning a SB - what I did take exception to was the way you presented your 'biased' opinion that it was ONLY a 'lucky few bounces' that won these last few SB's for us.

If indeed every SB winner has had these lucky bounces...why are you making such an issue of the Patriots lucky breaks - ill freely admit we had some good bounces, ill admit we had some bad luck with injuries - but when it came down to winning drives authored by the most clutch QB in the game we get it done...that is all that counts.

How would you like it if I went back into history and broke down every time the Steel Curtain got a favourable decision or a good bounce....I wont do it because I have enough class to recognise them Steelers as the cream of that generation...you however seem to subsist entirely on a diet of baloney and sour grapes.

I dont want people here to love the Patriots - just try and be a little more like your fellow posters (Clevestinks, Blitzburgh, Bigbensgirl) and give props where they are due instead of coming off as a whiney 8 year old all the time....

Cheers

NM
You are very quick on the trigger with your ad hominem attacks, which is just a way to deflect arguments.

I have said a few times that I respect what the Pats have done, but since none of them post here, what's the point? Their fans do, and I don't have a ton of respect for them as a whole. They were nowhere to be found until they started winning, and now they are all over the place, even loudly pontificating at Steelers Message Boards. I feel I have a certain right to criticize because I live in Browns Country and have been a loyal Steelers fan for almost 30 years, EVEN during the lean Woodley/Malone/Brister/etc years. I was maybe even a tad more fanatic when I moved to Florida. I left another MB because of wavering confidence and faith by Steelers fans, because it's all part of the same BS bandwagoning.

So let me clarify once and for all. I respect fans who stick with their teams through thick and thin. If you were a Washington fan, then bought a Ravens jersey when they started winning, I won't like you or respect you or your opinion. I might even say bad things about your team to piss you off...and that might cause some collateral damage to any true fans of the team listening...oh well, it's a STEELERS MESSAGE BOARD, so deal with it.

Which brings up another odd little idosyncracy about you...why do you spend so much of your time over here, anyway? You make snide little remarks that often go unnoticed, sometimes even subtly directed at the few people here who will kowtow to you and give your team props, and attack anyone who doesn't. Why? Isn't 3 out of 4 enough? Do you feel victory isn't complete unless you can find some people from the opposing teams who will "Honor thy Patriots"?

As for the other, your panties became quite bunched up when I suggested that "The tuck rule" thing may have not been exactly as called, and that a little luck might have been involved. By way of comparison, when the Imaculate Reception is brought up, I'll say "We'll never know", smile, and just be happy that the Football Gods smiled on us that day...and for the next half a decade.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #29
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Power Rankings after week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
You are very quick on the trigger with your ad hominem attacks, which is just a way to deflect arguments.

I have said a few times that I respect what the Pats have done, but since none of them post here, what's the point? Their fans do, and I don't have a ton of respect for them as a whole. They were nowhere to be found until they started winning, and now they are all over the place, even loudly pontificating at Steelers Message Boards. I feel I have a certain right to criticize because I live in Browns Country and have been a loyal Steelers fan for almost 30 years, EVEN during the lean Woodley/Malone/Brister/etc years. I was maybe even a tad more fanatic when I moved to Florida. I left another MB because of wavering confidence and faith by Steelers fans, because it's all part of the same BS bandwagoning.

So let me clarify once and for all. I respect fans who stick with their teams through thick and thin. If you were a Washington fan, then bought a Ravens jersey when they started winning, I won't like you or respect you or your opinion. I might even say bad things about your team to piss you off...and that might cause some collateral damage to any true fans of the team listening...oh well, it's a STEELERS MESSAGE BOARD, so deal with it.

Which brings up another odd little idosyncracy about you...why do you spend so much of your time over here, anyway? You make snide little remarks that often go unnoticed, sometimes even subtly directed at the few people here who will kowtow to you and give your team props, and attack anyone who doesn't. Why? Isn't 3 out of 4 enough? Do you feel victory isn't complete unless you can find some people from the opposing teams who will "Honor thy Patriots"?

As for the other, your panties became quite bunched up when I suggested that "The tuck rule" thing may have not been exactly as called, and that a little luck might have been involved. By way of comparison, when the Imaculate Reception is brought up, I'll say "We'll never know", smile, and just be happy that the Football Gods smiled on us that day...and for the next half a decade.
You can quote latin til you are quite literally blue in the face Suitanim - it wont make it anymore likely that I am 'deflecting attacks'.

Its a tired old cliche about us not being anywhere before the last 4 years - we have sold out home games for the last 12 years - including pre-season.

I cannot deny we have a fair few johnny-come-lately's - most succesful sides do - and I certainly cant remember you offering much in the way of props to the Pats team - without some qualifier tagged on the end.

Im sure you had a hard time resisting the charms of the success-laden Browns team whilst living local to them - you must be a hell of a fan to stick with the Steelers with that kind of temptation on your doorstep ha ha.

I know its a Steelers message board - you have already paid heed to at least a moderate amount of intelligence on my part... so how about not quoting the obvious at me??

I have come to the conclusion that you are some sort of paranoiac with these delusions of me making 'snide remarks' about the Steelers fans on this board......and what? You are supposedly the only one here who can see through me...give me a break!

I post here because I enjoy the persepective of another top-notch AFC teams supporters - I feel we may meet each other in the post-season again - so I thought it would be handy to keep an eye on your season from the word 'go' - this way I can have a real feel by the time the post season comes of what your team is really all about and what the fans midset is like.

And no - 3/4 isn't enough - I want to win it every year...doesn't every teams supporters?

It is you who brings up the Tuck Rule every now and then like some broken record - but I know your dislike of the Pats goes beyond the call of logic.

The facts are - im going to keep posting here whether you like it or not - most of the other normal Steelers posters seem to have no issue with that...and thats good enough for me.

BTW - that $10 is a game closer to coming my way...who was it you had to beat us to the AFC East title anyway...the Jets..or Buffalo?

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #30
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter
 
Suitanim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 6,086
Gender: Male
Member Number: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Power Rankings after week 1

I'll let you have the last word so "You win" or whetever...I think it's important for you that that perception stands...I'm MOST intrigued to see how you handle failure when it invariably rears it's ugly head, since it's in failure that true character is revealed, and not gloating over success.

I'm gonna go watch football now.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts