Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default LLT's preseason Defensive Grade

D-Line
Undrafted free-agent Willie Parker is considered the ultimate "value" pick, yet 7th rounder DE Brett Keisel could be mentioned in the same conversation. Keisel led the team last year in QB pressures and showed an athletisism that Tomlin seems determined to use in multiple sets this year.
On the other side is Aaron Smith whom some scouts call "the perfect 3-4 End". Smith has started all but 8 games since coming to the Steelers as a 4th round pick in 1999 and has publicly expressed a desire to play his entire career in Pittsburgh.
Mammoth Casey Hampton is considered the best NT in the game and consistantly takes up two and sometimes three offensive linemen.
Depth is something of a concern at the End position with Travis Kirschke missing several games over the last two years with back problems and rookie Ryan Bean tentatively being penciled in as the other backup. Luckily,both Smith and Keisel have proven to be resilient and will play through minor injuries. Behind Hampton is Chris Hoke who would be a starter on many teams.
Grade A+

LB
The grade at Linebacker will be the one position that we will see the greatest difference of opinion. On one hand some will argue that Pittsburghs LB's slipped last year and the loss of team leader Joey Porter will be detrimental. On the other hand there are those who will say that our weak secondary forced our LB's to fall back into cover more last year and therefore pressured the QB less. This situation was addressed early in the draft with the pickups of Lawrence Timmons and Lamarr Woodley, both who will see special team play and eventually more and more time at LB before the season is over.
Porters swagger will be missed but James Harrison has proven in the past that he is more than capable enough to fill in as a starter. Harrison is young and powerful,and perhaps one of our best pure pass rushing LB's. He may be a slight step down from a "young" Porter, but the Front Office made the right move and put their trust in Harrison and the draft istead of selling our future on an aging player. I think Harrison is going to be a pleasant surprise.
On the other side is the "other" OLB Clark Haggans , who is dependable and very good in coverage, but can get tied up when playing the run. Look for Clark to give up some third down situations by the end of the year as we groom our two young draft picks.
Inside Linebackers James Farrior and Larry Foote are tough and versatile. Farrior is getting older but is only a season removed from being considered the defensive player of the year. Foote isnt as athletic as Farrior and not as good in coverage but is still a great run-stopper.
Backups Clint Kriewaldt & Rian Wallace are unspectacular and Inside Linebacker will be a position looked at early in the next draft
Grade B

Secondary
Oh Boy............Well, here goes. The good news is that Safety will be a position of strength this year with All-world Troy Polamalu and up-and-coming star Anthony Smith. Troy is the most disruptive player in the league. When used correctly, he keeps QB's heads on a swivel, wondering not only where he is but where he is going. He has the athleticism to play like a LB, and the speed to come out of nowhere and snatch the ball out of the air. Smith is quickly getting a reputation as a "big-hitter" and will be forever remembered for knocking the tattoo off of the poor punt returner from Philly.
Cornerback is another story. Last year Ike was benched for giving up too many long throws and jumpballs. Ike had a sit-down with the new coach and hopefully Tomlin will be able to restore Taylor's confidence and bring him back to 2005 form, when he seemed poised for stardom. On the other side will be Bryant McFadden who wont wow anyone with speed but has good instincts and seems to know where the ball will be.
Our defense ranked in the top 10 in 8 different categories last year, but the achilles heel was most positively our CB play. We cant afford to be ranked in the bottom 4th of the league in pass defense. Some would say that moving Deshea Townsend to nickel back may help considerably as he was burnt like people in Chicago vote....early and often.
Safety depth is good with Clark, Logan and Carter but CB depth is thin with Townsend and potential bust Ricardo Colclough backing up the starters.
Grade C

Special Teams
Chris Gardocki is gone. (By the way...did you know that he never had a punt blocked *sarcasm*) He will be replaced by Daniel Sepulveda who is built like a linebacker and comes to the Steelers with a college resume that is impressive. But he will find out early that the Steeler-faithful could care less about what he did in college as to "whatcha gonna do now".
Jeff Reed is back after a less than stellar year, (20 for 27) in which he became victim to the "wicked winds of Heintz Field" which was the site of all seven field goals that he missed.
KR/PR should be improved with the return of unproven Willie Reid, who was a record setting returner in college. Holmes and Davenport are also capable of returning if needed.
Grade B-

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 07-10-2007 at 11:01 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: LLT's preseason Defensive Grade

nice work, def think our corners is our greatest question mark. even bigger than what we our goin to get out of harrison/timmons/woodley. its def time for ike taylor to step up and show why we invested that money in him.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I think corners are our grettest weakness but Taylor and McFadden will step up this year IMO and hopefully Coke will do a little bit of playing being in a contract year.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

D-Line
Yep
Grade A+

LB
Hard to judge.. Either this corp will shine this year, or we will see the beginning of the switch to 4-3 because the new LB's just can't keep up in a 3-4 scheme. For the information we have now... I gotta agree...
Grade B

Secondary
LOL.. Your brave for even touching this one. Don't forget however that our new coach was a secondary coach first... Good call on the grade
Grade C

Special Teams
Please... no fumbles, no muffed punts... no silly misses on fieldgoals.
Grade B-
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Nicely done. I would agree with the grade for the most part. I might have given us a B or B- for the secondary because the safety positions grade out at an A in my opinion. Still, pretty accurate acount overall.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Another great job LLT. I wasn't aware all of Reed's missed kicks were at Heinz Field, hopefully he can do better this year with the new special team coordinators. I really expect that by the end of the year on another review we'll see our secondary with a better grade, I know Troy and Anthony will cause some havoc on the field for the offense, just hope Ike does play like in 2005, we have a former secondary coach as a head coach so he should play up to his potential.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

An honest rundown of our D. It's difficult to admit our weakness in the secondary. (at least for me it is) There's nothing more that I can add to your synopsis of the corners.

The D-line is where the action is. I look for us to achieve some penetration this year, so we can allow some freedom for our LB'ers. Can't wait for the much anticipated freedom to move for Keisel.

Special Teams can only improve, and cannot possibly get worse. By virtue of a new season means we will be improved at ST's.

Great job LLT!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

I'm going to buck the trend here and switch your grades for LB's and the secondary. The lack of a consistent pass rush forced the corners to cover longer than could be reasonably expected. I believe that if our front 7 can generate more pressure, the secondary will be a strong point for the defense.
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Shouldn't the LBers be an A++ since we have TWO rookies there?

Kiiiidding
Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Nice write up, couple things...

Quote:
Keisel led the team last year in QB pressures
All that means is he didnt close the deal. Sounds cold and harsh...But its true.

1 of those pressures led to a turnover(int)

Quote:
Mammoth Casey Hampton is considered the best NT
Actually third by some accounts.

Williams is the universal number 1.

Wilfork and Hampton 2-3 either way.

Quote:
Depth
Nick Eason has promise.

Quote:
Chris Hoke who would be a starter on many teams.
I hear this alot..I dont buy it. MAYBE the Browns, but Hoke would not start for any of the other 3-4 teams.

Teams avg almost 5.5 YPC when Hoke played last year. Hampton must be in better shape in 07.

Quote:
Harrison is young
29...thats not that young, especially for a 3-4 LB.

Quote:
perhaps one of our best pure pass rushing LB's.
Thats not saying much

Quote:
I think Harrison is going to be a pleasant surprise
I dont completely disagree, but if Timmons is signed early and healthy he will be the starter at ROLB. Harrison has a million dollar escalator clause if he starts.

Quote:
Clark Haggans , who is dependable and very good in coverage
Youre kidding right? He is neither.

Quote:
Foote isnt as athletic as Farrior and not as good in coverage but is still a great run-stopper.
He cant tackle and he cant run...Only .2 of a second slower then some DT's.